LMS Horse Box

sp1

Most interested in this. I've got a Hornby GWR horsebox that I want to convert to EM (and I'll be getting an LMS one shortly) and the brake gear is so close to the wheel in OO that I've been wondering what to do. Your comment about taking the brake gear out for re-spacing as time permits is something I will have to take a look at to see how it comes out. If you have any guidance on how you removed the brake gear, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Phil

As mentioned by Dunsignalling a firm pull downwards did the trick for 3 of 4 of mine. I'll be remounting with the ends trimmed off and brass wire fitted in the end to produce a sort of doweled joint which will be cyanoed in place along with new yokes. This involves some fussy drilling with 0.5 mm bits so I'm saving it for a nice calm day.

HTH

David

• 2 months later...

Tatlow as well as Essery and Jenkinson list 42536 of D1972 as being converted to 16' wheelbase in 1938.

Keith

I'm in the process of making a conversion to a d2125. It was not too hard.Cut off the stepboards immediately below the top stepboard,then cut off the W-irons and J hangers in one go and moved them to the extreme end of the chassis. They glued back together with orinary liquid poly surprisingly well. It took a lot of hacking to get rid of the ribs in the floor and after doing one end, decided it was easier to cut right through the floor. The coupling mounts also need to go and the gas cylinder removed for spares. Stepboards were refitted. The shorter ones can just be swopped to opposite sides and the gaps in the lower board line up with the axle oxes again as if by magic. No such luck with the longer boards. They need the gap moved down by a few millimetres and the inner stanchion cut off and moved in a bit otherwise it rests against the J hanger. Need to refit the bakes now. I think the heavy duty buffers will have to be replicated by packing out some GWR 6 rib self contained ones. Will haveto scratchbuild the battery box. I'm busy modifying a couple of others as well to electric and oil versions.Does anyone know if the oil lamp cover on the roof looked different from the gas one? Also, what diameter were the buffer heads on the erlier diagrams? I'm using MJT torpedo vents on the earlier versions and might fit BR type shell vents to D2125 as per the 1960's photo in LMs carriages Vol1.

• 3 months later...

Hello.

Having picked one of these up at Wigan exhibition and the second NPCSS volume by Larkin was wondering about this conversion.  Did you complete yours?  If so any further thoughts?  Or pictures?  Hadn't thought about the couplings!

Thanks,

I'm in the process of making a conversion to a d2125. It was not too hard.Cut off the stepboards immediately below the top stepboard,then cut off the W-irons and J hangers in one go and moved them to the extreme end of the chassis. They glued back together with orinary liquid poly surprisingly well. It took a lot of hacking to get rid of the ribs in the floor and after doing one end, decided it was easier to cut right through the floor. The coupling mounts also need to go and the gas cylinder removed for spares. Stepboards were refitted. The shorter ones can just be swopped to opposite sides and the gaps in the lower board line up with the axle oxes again as if by magic. No such luck with the longer boards. They need the gap moved down by a few millimetres and the inner stanchion cut off and moved in a bit otherwise it rests against the J hanger. Need to refit the bakes now. I think the heavy duty buffers will have to be replicated by packing out some GWR 6 rib self contained ones. Will haveto scratchbuild the battery box. I'm busy modifying a couple of others as well to electric and oil versions.Does anyone know if the oil lamp cover on the roof looked different from the gas one? Also, what diameter were the buffer heads on the erlier diagrams? I'm using MJT torpedo vents on the earlier versions and might fit BR type shell vents to D2125 as per the 1960's photo in LMs carriages Vol1.

• 2 months later...

The two horseboxes in BR livery have two different sets of lettering, R6728 has XP and the running number at the right hand side whereas R6728A has the number at the left but still XP at the right.

What years were each of these variants used?

Edward

The two horseboxes in BR livery have two different sets of lettering, R6728 has XP and the running number at the right hand side whereas R6728A has the number at the left but still XP at the right.

What years were each of these variants used?

Edward

It's quite likely that the two vehicles ran at the same time, but that they were painted at different paint shops.

Archived