Cambrian Kits GWR P22 Herring ballast wagon.

bubbles2

• RMweb Gold

Also sheet BL138, I'm not sure I understand the difference between the transfer sheets and are these all straw/yellow in colour or are some white for gulf red livery?

Perhaps John will be along to enlighten us presently.

In some photos that I assume are of black wagons the lettering does look to be white - or am I mistaken?

Chris

Would these be seen in a train together or would there be a mixture of different types of ballast wagons?

There is a picture in Heyday of The Hydraulics by Hugh Dady of a Hymek at Crofton with a train comprising a shark brake, 2 herrings, 2 dogfish and 6 more herring.

The ballast wagons appear to be a mix of black and gulf red.

In some photos that I assume are of black wagons the lettering does look to be white - or am I mistaken?

Chris

You could be right Gilbert, I'm sure I have seen black engineering wagons sign written with white lettering, although the lettering may have been a latter addition without a complete repaint.

I also understand the yellow/straw lettering may have faded or weathered to near white in colour.

• RMweb Gold

Most shots I've seen seem to show short block trains; these would be on the WR into the late 1970s. There's a photo of a Warship on such a train in the thread of photos of hydraulics.

This one in Neil's thread Brian?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95191-neils-hydraulic-pics/

Cracking shot - is the lettering white or yellow? I have some CCTrans sheets that are most certainly yellow, planning to use them

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Most shots I've seen seem to show short block trains; these would be on the WR into the late 1970s. There's a photo of a Warship on such a train in the thread of photos of hydraulics.

And it's posted earlier in this thread too Brian!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94889-cambrian-kits-gwr-p22-herring-ballast-wagon/?p=1756100

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Somerset & Dorset in the Fifties, Vol.2 (Ivo Peters, OPC) Plates 162 to 166 inclusive. All taken in January 1958.

A one Catfish, a dozen Herrings and a fully enclosed ex-GWR PW Toad neatly framed by BR brakes and 7Fs at either end in four shots and a 7F and 4F in the other.

Wonderful stuff!

I'm obviously going to need more kits.........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I zoomed in on the image of 812 with the train of Herring.

It looks like the lettering is a mixture of white (leading wagon) and yellow and white (2nd wagon).

I've just ordered a rake of 5.

post-6925-0-55620600-1422702985_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Is it my imagination, but have they got white-painted wheel rims?

Quite possibly, for safety reasons.

Dropping ballast from these was controlled from the ground rather than the haven of an end platform as on most other types and a lot of such work was done at night.

John

Given that the Southwark Bridge brass kit appears to be unavailable, has anyone considered backdating one of these to a P7? It would need different axleboxes, brakes, buffers, etc., plus some rivet strip or a large number of Archers rivet transfers. I might get one too see if it's feasible/worthwhile.

Nick

Given that the Southwark Bridge brass kit appears to be unavailable, has anyone considered backdating one of these to a P7? It would need different axleboxes, brakes, buffers, etc., plus some rivet strip or a large number of Archers rivet transfers. I might get one too see if it's feasible/worthwhile.

Nick

Nick,

Roxey have taken over the Southwark range. Although still out of stock, one would like to think it will be available again "soon".

Although, having said that, take overs do not have a good track record so far!

Alan Gibson excepted.

Craig W

These wagons spanned the country from East to West as I came across some at Norwich in February 1984 in a mixed train of ballast hoppers. See the 3 photos below of DW60497 at Norwich Feb 1984 taken from both sides of the wagon.

post-7146-0-68595600-1422713926_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-81848600-1422713935_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-31494400-1422713946_thumb.jpg

As an aside I have 4 Southwark Bridge type P7 kits unbuilt. I was originally intending to build them up as the later P22 versions, but with the Cambrian kit now available that is now unlikely to happen. If anyone has come Cambrian kits they where thinking of converting to the P7 type and are interested in a swap please PM me.

(Edit);  Kits are now going to a good home. :bye:

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I buy mine direct, and from H&A Models and Transport Models (the latter via eBay - no connection to either) - all offer a good mail order service...

Mark

PS: the sobs you might hear are me wishing I had spent more time gazing into Hitchin engineers' yard from Benslow Lane bridge in my youth (it's now a housing estate!) - you only miss things once they're gone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Started on my 4 obtained from the excellent H & A at stafford this last weekend, (they haven't got any left now!)

Bodies/chassis prepped and joined, (rather a lot of fash I thought?), watch out for the end of the solebars not being vertical and square, making the headstocks lean at a jaunty angle.

Bit more tomorrow hopefully.

Mike.

Nick,

Roxey have taken over the Southwark range. Although still out of stock, one would like to think it will be available again "soon".

Although, having said that, take overs do not have a good track record so far!

Alan Gibson excepted.

Craig W

Craig,

Dave Hammersley (Roxey) has a fair bit of experience integrating other ranges into his, including the Chatham Kits, some of Albion, all the O gauge locos etc. - so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Its interesting that you mention Alan Gibson - at the Scalefourum when Alan retired, he was presented with some sort of award for 40 years in the trade, Dave H said to me (tongue in cheek) '40 years, is that all?' I can't think of any other one-man firms in this hobby still in their original hands after nearly half a century. 

Jon

• Like 3
  • Agree 1