Saxlingham

PGC

• RMweb Gold

Dave mentioned the join between the two boards as being "dodgy!" (well, I think that's what he said!)

Always been the master of understatement has young David.

This is getting more like Triggers broom with every post, all that's left is to dispose of the bits of plywood, gaffa tape and ironing table and you've got yourself a trainset!

Mike.

Always been the master of understatement has young David.

This is getting more like Triggers broom with every post, all that's left is to dispose of the bits of plywood, gaffa tape and ironing table and you've got yourself a trainset!

Mike.

From what I've seen of his workmanship, I think this layout is the one that persuaded Dave using an ironing board is the best way to support a layout!   :O   :jester:

In all honesty, there's very little I'm doing to the main scenic board other than fill one hole where Dave had a shed that's gone AWOL (I'm replacing it with some sacks as I think the shed (you can see it in the very first picture of this thread) is too large for the space) and replacing the plate layers hut as the original one has lost his roof, but otherwise it will stay very much as Dave built it. 

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy! I have spent several hours today finishing off the technical bits on the new fiddle yard, and I can now run trains from the scenic board on to the new tracks. Next step, the new sector plate, and once that's sorted, I'll be able to finish sticking the track down and can start painting, ballasting, building the scenery etc.

Trying to work out what ballast Dave had used (so I can try and match the new to the old), I bought some Woodland Scenics ballast. It was so large I reckon I must have chosen a 7mm ballast. On Saturday I was at the Cambridge exhibition where I was able to buy some Gaugemaster ballast, and that's the same size as what Dave used, so that's ready for when I get to that stage.

From my end, very little has happened to the bridge - however, one of the club members has expertise in CAD software and has drawn the arch brickwork for me. He also happens to have a small cutting machine that he will use to cut the brickwork in to plain plasticard, and he will also cut it in to the facing brickwork for the bridge, so for the time being I have to wait on him. I'm hoping I might see the first fruits this week, but in the meantime I will be finishing off the backscene and starting making up the embankment leading up to the bridge.

So, not a vast amount to report, but definite progress, and seeing my J15 running in to the scenery makes me very, very happy!

Phil

• Like 1

You want pictures, so after today's work, here are some! :-)

As you can see, I've now got the backscene in place on the fiddle yard board, all I've got to do now is get the scenery built! Fortunately, one of the members of the club is a scenery guru and he's offered to help me blend in the whole lot to what Dave has built.

The last technical bit to do is construct the sector plate, and I think I know how I'm going to do that, but I haven't got any chance until next week, so don't expect too much news before then!

Phil

post-5925-0-73618500-1429734526_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-30615700-1429734637_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-89470400-1429734638_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-20409900-1429734640_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-97136100-1429734640_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-86644900-1429734641_thumb.jpg

PS - Sorry about the clamp - the pictures were only taken 5 minutes or so after I'd put the glue on - the clamp will stay on overnight.

PPS - Anyone spotted the deliberate mistake? Well, I just have. :-) The backscene at the front of the layout between the bridge and the fiddle yard itself should be at the same level as the opposite side of the bridge. Oh, well, out with saw (and not for the first time!

Edited by PGC
  • Like 5

OK, the "deliberate" mistake has now been rectified (as you can see from the photo's below), so next job is to paint the track, after which I'll ballast it and then start the scenery. Thanks to Dave for posting the information above about Woodland Scenics 2mm ballast - I am near to the local model shop this afternoon so I'll get some, and between that and the Gaugemaster ballast I have, I'm certain I'll be able to cobble something together that looks about right.

In all honesty, I've quite enjoyed the free time I've had in the last two months and a lot has happened, especially on the modelling front, but on Monday I start work again, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with the layout; all I know is that it's being exhibited at the Bishop's Stortford show in September, so I have, whether I like it or not, to get it fairly close to completion by then. OK, I know many of you burn the midnight oil when exhibiting layouts, but I prefer not to be too late if I can help it.

More postings to come as things progress, but don't hold your breath, as it were!

Phil

post-5925-0-43977100-1429873499_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-24698000-1429873500_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK, folks, an update!

The last few years of my life have been very turbulent. After an amicable split with my partner (shortly after the last update), not only have I moved house 4 times, but one of the moves was from Essex to Edinburgh. Needless to say, very little (No!) modelling has been done. However, circumstances are now changing.

Following it's relocation North, Saxlingham is now housed in the clubrooms of the Scottish Region Study Group in Glasgow, and is being modified prior to its appearance at the Glasgow show next February. I won't promise regular updates etc. as I moved to Scotland to be with the woman I married three weeks ago (she's from Glasgow, we met in Essex but now live in Edinburgh), and we're still sorting out the house etc. However, Saxlingham and other projects will reappear!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good to see you back in modelling mode Phil.

Dave Franks.

Don't have much choice after being "volunteered" for the Glasgow show!

• RMweb Gold

OK, folks, an update!

The last few years of my life have been very turbulent. After an amicable split with my partner (shortly after the last update), not only have I moved house 4 times, but one of the moves was from Essex to Edinburgh. Needless to say, very little (No!) modelling has been done. However, circumstances are now changing.

Following it's relocation North, Saxlingham is now housed in the clubrooms of the Scottish Region Study Group in Glasgow, and is being modified prior to its appearance at the Glasgow show next February. I won't promise regular updates etc. as I moved to Scotland to be with the woman I married three weeks ago (she's from Glasgow, we met in Essex but now live in Edinburgh), and we're still sorting out the house etc. However, Saxlingham and other projects will reappear!

Phil

It would seem Scottish women are getting more selective/desperate/geographically aware!

Glad Saxlingham is back up and running.

Mike.

I have fond memories of Saxlingham.

ExpoEM 2010. 

Dave had a Class 20 he'd converted to EM in the hotel on the Saturday night that from the outset on Sunday did little other than fall off Saxlingham's track.  Because he was (as usual) flying solo he couldn't spare the time to investigate why, so some time after lunch I happened to be in the right place at the right time to be given the "Have a look at this, could you?" treatment.  It was then that I discovered two little-known facts about him;

1) That he clearly hasn't left his roots in '00' behind and apparently still carries the relevant back-to-back gauge around with him.

2) That he has also clearly dabbled in 3mm scale in both coarse and finescales at some time and apparently also carries the back-to-back gauges relevant to both 12 and 14.2mm gauges around with him. 

Who can even begin to guess how it came about that he managed to use all three of those gauges when trying to re-gauge the 20 to EM?  All we can be sure of - absolutely, unarguably sure of - is that however much he'd consumed in Wetherspoons and the hotel bar afterwards can have had absolutely no influence whatsoever.  None.  Definitely.  Beyond all shadow of a doubt.  Okay?

Anyway . . .

There I was, in the final stages of getting the 20's wheels the right distance apart, when someone who shall remain nameless (at least, it will until they either deposit a substantial sum into the Swiss bank account of my choice or someone else reminds me who they were) walked up to the layout and predicted "Derailment in three!  One!  Two!  Thre . . .!"

You know what happened then, exactly on cue, don't you?

The Guilty Party fled down the hall, cackling demonically, with Dave hot on his heels, bent on vengeance, leaving me in sole charge of Saxlingham.  I'd never operated an exhibition layout on my own before and it turned out to be a baptism of fire because it was the best part of two hours before he returned!  I loved every minute of the experience and know I am one of many in being of the opinion that Saxlingham remains the best layout that the Fogeyman of Harborough has yet built.

• Like 1

I have fond memories of Saxlingham.

I'd never operated an exhibition layout on my own before and it turned out to be a baptism of fire because it was the best part of two hours before he returned!  I loved every minute of the experience and know I am one of many in being of the opinion that Saxlingham remains the best layout that the Fogeyman of Harborough has yet built.

I hope Phil doesn't do that at Glasgow cause I'm not used to little layouts but at least we are hoping to build another board so it can be a through layout. :paint:

Dave.

p.s. I've looked out the sleepers and chairs for the new points Phil.

• Like 1

I hope Phil doesn't do that at Glasgow cause I'm not used to little layouts but at least we are hoping to build another board so it can be a through layout. :paint:

Dave.

p.s. I've looked out the sleepers and chairs for the new points Phil.

Don't worry, Dave, I won't leave you wondering what the two electric switches do!

Great to see Saxlingham back on the radar and to hear of the positive news in your personal life PGC. Although a move to frozen north is a bit drastic ;) In all seriousness though it is great to read of your nice news.

I absolutely LOVE the layout, it is a lovely setting, fantastically modelled and appeals so much in reminding me of happy times living in Wickham Market :)

Looking forward to seeing more updates of future progress in due course.

David

• RMweb Premium

I'll bring me 31 and a few brake vans. Think the denizens of Glasgow are getting short-changed......that was its last show with me 6 years ago!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Eek!  Didn't think it was that long since this appeared at Glasgow.  It'll be good to see it in the flesh again.  Despite its small size and simplicity of design it was easily one of the more enjoyable to watch.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 months later...

OK guys (and gals), an update.

Being a senile old git, my diary got in a mess, as a result of which I won't be exhibiting Saxlingham at Glasgow as I will be in Chelmsford, some 400 miles away. Don't take it personally, Bungus, but I'll do a lot to avoid former owners of the layout. :-)

Seriously, however, I am sad that the layout won't be back on the exhibition circuit just yet, although it MAY appear in Perth nextyear, but there's nothing definite about this yet. As I mentioned in previous posts, life has taken some fairly drastic turns over the last few years, as is still happening. In July I got married and, having sold our house in Essex, my wife and I are now searching for a plot of land on which we can build a house. Needless to say, I will be the project manager for this so I half suspect my modelling time will be restricted, but the future bodes very well as we'll have a dedicated craft / modelling/ railway room, after which, theoretically, there will be prodigious output. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, the layout resides in the club rooms in Glasgow. The scenic board that I'd built wasn't flat, and I've also decided that a single track sector plate isn't an ideal fiddle yard, so the track has been lifted, the dip filled and shortly track will be relaid with a point that also allows a cassette fiddle yard. Next thing will be to build a third board that will have just scenery and a second cassette fiddle yard allowing through running of typical GER local trains such as a wagon basher, E4 + 2 coaches etc.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Alex

I would like to know too, although Phil has been on Faceache  with more pressing problems, i.e. finding somewhere for him and his young lady to live on a permanent basis. Hopefully when his domestic situation has  sorted itself out, he'll be back modelling......

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Friendly/supportive 3