Kanturk and Newmarket Railway Co Cork

Reading General

Mention of Kanturk elsewhere spurred me on to post this. This 7 mile branch line formerly until 1963 ran behind where my house has stood for the past 10 years (albeit officially named Railway View, not that you can see a railway now)

It would be an ideal subject for a model....with an attractive junction station with turntable and signal box and just two stations en route. I've a ttaches a few photos for your perusal

First one is banteer then two each of Kanturk and newmarketpost-23497-0-37582200-1421519861.jpegpost-23497-0-01019700-1421519876_thumb.jpgpost-23497-0-45796400-1421519889.jpgpost-23497-0-66560000-1421519922_thumb.jpgpost-23497-0-29118700-1421519935.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Mention of Kanturk elsewhere spurred me on to post this. This 7 mile branch line formerly until 1963 ran behind where my house has stood for the past 10 years (albeit officially named Railway View, not that you can see a railway now)

It would be an ideal subject for a model....with an attractive junction station with turntable and signal box and just two stations en route. I've a ttaches a few photos for your perusal

First one is banteer then two each of Kanturk and newmarketattachicon.gifbanteer G601.jpegattachicon.gifG601 3.jpgattachicon.gifG601 1.jpgattachicon.gifnewmarjet 001.jpgattachicon.gifnewmarket with turntable.jpg

Here's Deutz G601 at Carrick in October 2004:

post-9616-0-31612200-1421587348_thumb.jpg

Where is it now?

David

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, so it hasn't gone anywhere or had anything done to it in the last decade! Is the ITG ever going to do anything with its collection?

Here's the rest of the group that was present in October 2004:

post-9616-0-24118700-1421654432_thumb.jpg

David

• RMweb Premium

That's very unfair. The ITG have several working locos in Downpatrick, including a C class returned to service in 2014 an are actively working on another C and a G at Carrick. The NIR shunters seen are long gone.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give that impression. I'll certain look forward to seeing the C Class in action. Also good to see that the outside locos at Carrick have more protection.

David

Newmarket with its simple track layout and wooded setting looks like an attractive prototype for a model.

The station surroundings and track layout can be viewed on the OSI map viewer http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,532190,607307,7,9.

The loco shed appears to have been on the down side of the line beside the river/stream at the Kanturk end of the station. The structure alongside the turntable was probably a carriage shed most likely removed by the GSR to reduce property rates, the siding appears to be in place with the turnout from the loop just about visible in the 1950s photo.

Buildings and structures on the branch seem to be similar in design to the Tullow branch built during the same era as Newmarket and similarly run down and decrepit in CIE days.

Besides the Duetz the Newmarket line saw unusual traction in GSR days, passenger services were worked by a Sentinel railcar on a regular basis at one stage during GSR days.

Goods traffic was handled by a daily through goods from Mallow rather than a branch line mixed, which allowed the passenger service to be worked by railcar.

• 2 weeks later...

Newmarket with its simple track layout and wooded setting looks like an attractive prototype for a model.

The station surroundings and track layout can be viewed on the OSI map viewer http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,532190,607307,7,9.

The loco shed appears to have been on the down side of the line beside the river/stream at the Kanturk end of the station. The structure alongside the turntable was probably a carriage shed most likely removed by the GSR to reduce property rates, the siding appears to be in place with the turnout from the loop just about visible in the 1950s photo.

Buildings and structures on the branch seem to be similar in design to the Tullow branch built during the same era as Newmarket and similarly run down and decrepit in CIE days.

Besides the Duetz the Newmarket line saw unusual traction in GSR days, passenger services were worked by a Sentinel railcar on a regular basis at one stage during GSR days.

Goods traffic was handled by a daily through goods from Mallow rather than a branch line mixed, which allowed the passenger service to be worked by railcar.

Railcar at Newmarket ...

post-23497-0-68195400-1422889543_thumb.jpg

Atmospheric photo, interesting modelling challenge with weed grown track and encroaching vegitation.

It looks like the connections from the main line to the loop and loco shed were converted to hand operation some time after the line closed to regular traffic in the late 1940s.

Interestingly the 1960 WTT indicates that the line is worked "One engine in steam" with reversion to ETS working as required. Banteer-Kanturk & Kanturk-Newmarket were worked as two separate block sections.

Its unclear whether the provision for ETS working applied to Banteer-Kanturk or both sections.

A daily branch goods was scheduled to depart Banteer at 10:00 am scheduled to return at 4:10 pm. The goods appears to have been scheduled to connect with the 8:00 am Mallow-Tralee and 9:45 am Tralee-Cork goods trains.

Archived