Query on curve measurements

Talltim

I was reading this article on the Claren Chailly Blonay in Vaud http://dx.doi.org/10.5169/seals-30120and on the second page there is a gradient chart, copied below.

post-6836-0-70118500-1421602892_thumb.png

This also shows the curves, left or right and gives a figure in 'courbes cent a gauche' (or droit). This translates as 'curves percent left', but I'm not sure what this actually means. Is it the amount the curve turns from the tangent, or something to do with the radius? I notice that some of the individual curves also have an Rxx figure which I would imagine is radius.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Other things that puzzle me are the significance the of the Evitements and the smaller flags, possibly these denote signals as I know there were some where the line crossed the Route Cantonal just below the only tunnel.

I think 'cent' is short for centered and it is just indicating, by the offset of the line whether the curve is turning left or right, the figures shown for each curve will be the radius, in meteres I would think. This is a pretty standard way of showing curves on line alignment drawings. The smaller flags look to be just marking the gradient changes, evitement has the same symbol as stations so could be block posts, the other bullsye symbols appear to be places where the track design changes as shown on the dotted line with  'voie posee' etc.

Regards

Keith

Archived