LB&SCR Modellers' Digest

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A conversation has been rekindled outside of RMWeb about the petrol railcar that was received by the LB&SCR from the GNR and drawn by me for the Digest. I remember there were problems with the legibility of the original file. Also, after the Digest was published we found a new photo that changed our idea of the roof profile. Attached below is an updated copy of the drawing.

A couple of notes:

• The inside of the vehicle seems to be taken up with railings and the platform that can be extended and lowered above the roof.
  • I've included everything that I can see in the photos, but nothing that is indistinct. This means that I haven't included the roof equipment.

1386728117_LBSCR114.jpg.e82f6da025f24a5d794b798c6a69c9da.jpg

Printable PDF of the same drawing in 4mm scale: LBSCR 1 14.pdf

Finally, a render of the 3D model of the basic railcar in GNR days

for-dst-900.jpg.29ada38c832f631f653edde1660c8eb0.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc, I did put the 4mm GNR one on Shapeways in case anyone else was interested. I’m away for a few weeks, but can get in touch with you when I get back.

- I hope the thread owner is ok with this post as it could be seen as an advert, if not, happy to remove it.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2019 at 17:18, burgundy said:

Issue 10 of LB&SCR Modellers' Digest is now available at

http://www.lbscr.org/Models/Digest/LBSCR-Modellers-Digest-10.pdf

I hope that this will provide some light reading for idle moments over the Christmas holiday!

Some delightful dumb buffer wagons there but no amount of "improvement" will turn an RCH 1923 12 ton wagon into a 10 ton wagon.

Phil Taylor's conversion of a Bachmann E4 to original condition has intrigued me since only a couple of days ago I was looking at photos of prototype and Bachmann model and wondering how difficult the conversion would be. I don't suppose he can be induced to give more detail?

A livery question: I know the first few (how many?) E4s came out in goods livery, though intended as passenger engines, with later ones being turned out in passenger livery. I've also read the suggestion that the goods livery didn't last long so all were in passenger livery before they went to umber. Is it known when they lost the gopods livery? Were any in goods livery c. 1902?

• Like 2

The conversion to the E4 looks fairly similar to how I went about mine (which is nice, because it means someone else came to the same conclusions as me!). His conversion is rather neater than mine, though, and is making me want to break out the scalpel, filler and paint again. I hadn't noticed the moving of the dome, as all the photos of Beachy Head I had come across were 3/4 views. I won't be converting to P4 though!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A livery question: I know the first few (how many?) E4s came out in goods livery, though intended as passenger engines, with later ones being turned out in passenger livery. I've also read the suggestion that the goods livery didn't last long so all were in passenger livery before they went to umber. Is it known when they lost the gopods livery? Were any in goods livery c. 1902?

Unlike the earlier dabblings with the E1 tanks, the E4's were built as true mixed traffic locos. Ignoring a  rare mis-print in Bradley, the first 24 were turned out in goods green, the remaining 51 in passenger IEG. Of the green ones, which numbered 463 - 486, nine went straight from green to umber, the rest being painted in IEG during repairs.

The nine were 467/475/476/477/480/481/484/485/486. The last one to remain in green was 475, 'Partridge Green', which was turned out in July 1912 in umber.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 5 months later...

For those desperate for some serious reading, Issue 11 of the LB&SCR Modellers' Digest should be out later this month. As a result of the time that lockdown has created - both for modelling and for writing it up - this edition will contain an extra 50% at no additional cost!  The Brighton Circle's "virtual Blatchington" on-line meeting is an example of the opportunities that have come out of lockdown and this is documented in Digest 11.  

For Brighton "modern image" enthusiasts, there will be something of interest, including a Brighton carriage of which the prototype was built in 1924 - only 96 years ago

As usual, there is much discussion of modelling techniques, that are applicable to all companies and periods, including a number of different approached to 3D printing.   

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 11 of LB&SCR Modellers' Digest is now available: a mere 225 pages!

For those who are put off by the Brighton bias of the title, there is material on lots of techniques that are relevant to modelling of all kinds; there are also some Pullman cars!

My thanks to all those who have contributed articles - you don't have to be a member of the Circle to do so, but if you are modelling a Brighton prototype the Brighton CIrcle is a great source of information.

Deadline for material for the next issue will be the end of November. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Though being a GWR modeller I have always had soft stop for LB&SCR. I have to say how much I have enjoyed looking through the societies Modeller Digest. Some great modelling with enjoyable explanations of various builds. Well done to the editors and thank you for giving the resource free to the internet. To be commented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WM183

It has been a pleasure to work alongside one of the frequent contributors to the LBSCR Digest, and to learn a good deal more about the Brighton by doing so. They're a first class organization with great people, and they produce an amazing publication. That Brighton bug bites hard, too, particularly for those of us who truly enjoy scratchbuilding wagons... 

...i wonder if there's a 7mm E class radial tank available....?

Amanda

Thank you for the kind comments about the Digest. 

There is a list of kits and other models that are, or have been, available in 7mm scale on the Circle website. Unfortunately, the MSC range is currently not in production. However, it might be worth contacting EBM to see whether there  are any plans to produce a 7mm version of the E3 radial.    

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2015 at 11:17, simon0r said:

this 1908 map of the lines out of London Bridge shows the SECR and LBSCR running alongside each other. 

post-22510-0-31287100-1422011416_thumb.jpg

source: Wikipedia http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bricklayers_Arms_%26_New_Cross,_Midhurst_RJD_91.jpg

A Billinton B4 heading an early Brighton Pullman train in what is probably the Bronze green/ red oxide roof and ornate gilded livery with open verandah Pullman cars. It has 7 full length cars and a Pup at the front. The head code on the buffer beam indicates its route is via the Quarry Line, opened in 1900.  I thought at first it was the Southern Belle, having 7 cars, but the Southern Belle began in November 1908  and its livery was Cream and Umber with white roofs and ran on 6 wheel bogies.  A B4 was unlikely to still be in Stroudley IEG that late.  My Inspector Clouseau side came to the conclusion that the photo must have been taken sometime between summer 1900 and late summer 1908 somewhere between Norbury and Haywards Heath.  Can anyone hazard guess at the name of this pre 1908 service and whether it ran from Victoria or London Bridge.

1601517_B4inIEGwithearly7carPullmantrainpassingManorFarmsouthofNorburystation(1900-1908).png.0c3c747954089034fb47e67dbcf7dd37.png

Edited by Stoat's Nest
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

There is another fantastic issue of the LB&SCR Modellers' Digest on its way in time for your Christmas reading.

2001891149_frontpage.jpg.da265b14d504593a8ba6685762a4e0ce.jpg

For those who like a challenge, here are clues to four of the articles. Can anyone identify what might be in this issue?

Best wishes 

Eric  

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

You are a temptress!

My Guess'

• Fire box construction
  • Signal construction
  • PW Dept brake vans
  • Small goods sheds

Marc

Good start, but I am sure that we can do better!

Best wishes 

Eric

(tempter rather than temptress!) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Issue 13 of LB&SCR Modellers' Digest is now available. No need to go into Smiths to read it without paying: it is free to download here.   

Please pass the link on to local groups and societies to which you belong. It is not just for Brighton enthusiasts but contains much of general interest. This edition features 4mm, S and 7mm scales and gauge 1. 

Settle down with a glass or a mug of something and enjoy some great modelling. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...