LB&SCR Modellers' Digest

I've just re-read Phil Taylors article in the Digest on building a buffer stop as I've got some 7mm scale kits on order from Andy Beaton of Ragstone Models. Phil shows the wooden crossbeam on his buffer stop painted white with two vertical black stripes where the buffers would hit. Andy shows a white beam, with a red stripe horizontally across the centre. 

So....who is right, or are they both right?  Knowing me I'll get my kits, paint them one way and then find the other is the correct one!

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

Not certain about this, but I think the white beam with the red stripe was the Southern Railway standard, while the white beam with black patches could be LBSC. Hopefully someone can give a definitive answer.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

The HMRS Livery Register #3, LSWR and Southern, notes that the white-red-white was apparent at least as early as 1905 on LSWR stops, and as with a number of other LSWR ideas, became the Southern Railway standard. Thus the black and white version seems very likely to be LBSCR.

Well spotted! Mine now look like this:

17871271396_1e4469e06e_c.jpg

The kits arrived this morning so the timing was just right, and now I've seen your picture maybe I need to round the ends of the wooden plank.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 2

I've got another appeal folks - I hope it's OK to keep posting like this. If there is somewhere more appropriate please say so...I realise this isn't strictly about the Digest.

I've become interested in this little beauty....

17351773093_fe48a1cfe6_c.jpg

She was photographed in 1890 in full Stroudley livery, and would make a cracking little model. She was working on the line into Earlswood Asylum at the time, and I haven't been able to find any more pictures of the engine or the railway into the hospital. 

So, over to you - does anyone know of any more pictures? 

The loco has Stroudley boiler fititings so has clearly been through Brighton works in the not too distant past....obviously she would need a running in turn then and my branch to Saltdean would seem to be ideal for the purpose! It might be a touch draughty though...presumably at some point she must have had a full cab?

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

The loco was originally Craven loco built in 1868 to work from Polegate to Hailsham. Originally an 0-4-0 Saddle Tank and Numbered 27. She originally had a cab but no weather board. She had a set of trailing wheels added early in life owing to her pitching badly when running bunker first.

The saddle Tank and trailing wheels where removed when the loco became the works shunter in Brighton in the 1870's. In 1879 it was sent to Earlswood to shunt Redhill goods yard and stayed there for 16 years before being turned into a stationary engine for pumping at Tunbridge Wells the engine was scrapped in 1896 at Horely

Hope that helps.

Info from "Locomotives of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway 1839 - 1903"

Gary

• 2 months later...

Tallsteve

Issue 0 was removed when issue 1 was placed on line - and in the same way, issue 1 will disappear when issue 2 appears around Christmas time. We are looking at a way to archive articles of substance in a searchable format.

Best wishes

Eric

Tallsteve

Issue 0 was removed when issue 1 was placed on line - and in the same way, issue 1 will disappear when issue 2 appears around Christmas time. We are looking at a way to archive articles of substance in a searchable format.

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Eric. Many thanks for this info - at least it wasn't me going mad! Yes - that would be great if possible. 

Just as a by-note, does anybody make carriage transfers in 7mm? The 'Circle' website shows MSC as providing a lot of items, but they seem to have moved out of LBSCR products.Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Issue 2 of the LB&SCR Modellers' Digest is now online at

http://www.lbscr.org/Models/Journal/index.html

A mere 98 pages of Brighton modelling with lots to catch the attention of all those proud new owners of Dapol Terriers.

Happy Christmas reading.

Best wishes

Eric

Truly wonderful read with inspirational ideas & techniques for LBSCR modelling.See what track ballasted above sleepers to railfoot looks like - Lewes,p32.

Dava

See what track ballasted above sleepers to railfoot looks like - Lewes,p32.

Dava

It's great isn't it. That's an advantage of modelling pre WW1, as you can hide all sorts of rubbish track under ballast, like the well used stuff I buy on eBay cheap, and knock about!

• Like 1