Hornby's new 21 ton hopper

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Hattons are listing the new 21 ton hopper

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/wagons/br-21-ton-hopper-wagon-2.html

Looks to me like Hornby have gone for the same diagram as the Parkside Dundas PC80 model - see http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_LONDON___NORTH_EASTERN_RAILWAY.html

Is this a correct assumption please? HAs LNER brake gear and extended brake handle. To run a train of hoppers on Abbotswood we will need a fitted head - were any of these wagons fitted? Also they are not roller bearing fitted - is that an issue for these wagons in the 70s?

An alternative would of course be to build some Parkside Dundas PC77s - or add vacuum brakes to some older Dapol/Mainline hoppers

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Hi folks

Hattons are listing the new 21 ton hopper

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/wagons/br-21-ton-hopper-wagon-2.html

Looks to me like Hornby have gone for the same diagram as the Parkside Dundas PC80 model - see http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_LONDON___NORTH_EASTERN_RAILWAY.html

Is this a correct assumption please? HAs LNER brake gear and extended brake handle. To run a train of hoppers on Abbotswood we will need a fitted head - were any of these wagons fitted? Also they are not roller bearing fitted - is that an issue for these wagons in the 70s?

An alternative would of course be to build some Parkside Dundas PC77s - or add vacuum brakes to some older Dapol/Mainline hoppers

Many thanks in advance

Phil

There weren't any fitted versions of these wagons; all the fitted ones I saw were of the BR welded style. The old Hornby-Dublo one (which I think Wrenn, not Mainline/Dapol re-released) was of this type, and was a reasonable model. If you must have a fitted head, then I'm afraid it's kit-building for you.

I'm pretty certain many of these wagons had oil axleboxes until they were scrapped in the great post-Miners' Strike purge.

I've just looked at P-D's site; they don't do a built-as-vac-fitted type. You'd have to carry out a small mod to the PC77s, replacing the two big angled supporting struts with four smaller ones, and fitting a vac-cylinder in one corner (see Mr Bartlett's photos); 'HOUSE COAL CONCENTRATION' transfers are available from Cambridge Custom Transfers. Quite a large proportion carried these.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Brian

Have you got shares in Parkside Dundas? hee hee

The Coal concentration hoppers were bauxite - was that a doppelganger livery or were they welded/fitted?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

I don\t think the LNER version with the long brake handle worked anywhere out of ER territory(and then were mainly in the north east I believe) - as such they're ideal to go with an NE allocated K1 so Hornby have done something quite interesting in matching a new wagon in their catalogue to a new loco in that catalogue.

I can't recall ever seeing one with a long brake handle anywhere on Western territory although you never know, the odd one or two might have made it.

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

I don\t think the LNER version with the long brake handle worked anywhere out of ER territory(and then were mainly in the north east I believe) - as such they're ideal to go with an NE allocated K1 so Hornby have done something quite interesting in matching a new wagon in their catalogue to a new loco in that catalogue.

I can't recall ever seeing one with a long brake handle anywhere on Western territory although you never know, the odd one or two might have made it.

Hi Mike

They were to be seen mixed in with the BR version on the LMR in the 60s and 70s. I can recall then going through Bedford when trainspotting, their high handbrake look strange.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks All

Paul's wonderful web site would be a good guide am sure - but for some reason cant get on to this collection at the moment it asks for a password. But the thumbnail it shows is of one off the North Eastern piste at Briton Ferry if I am reading it correctly

So still hunting!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

And a direct web search for pictures has them at Toton and Derby, which would seem to fit in with Clive's memories.

In deference to SM then it seems like we can get away with mixing some in with a PD fitted head and perhaps some modded Dapols

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks All

Paul's wonderful web site would be a good guide am sure - but for some reason cant get on to this collection at the moment it asks for a password. But the thumbnail it shows is of one off the North Eastern piste at Briton Ferry if I am reading it correctly

So still hunting!

Phil

I think the collection shows at least one at Newport.

The wagon modelled by Hornby is E270706 it is pictured in David Larkins Working Wagons vol 1 (1968-1973) on page 18 at Kirkby Stephen in 1970.

Also in that book, and its companion vol 2 (1974-1979), there are four long handled E prefix wagons seen at Hoo Jn

Also in those books there are pictures of B prefix wagons with long handles at Bristol Westbury and Radstock,

cheers 

Anyone looking for a bit of variety could have a bit of fun with these, as there were several manufacturers and each had different variants of stanchions, handrails etc. Tatlow's LNER wagons part 4A by Wild Swan has a table of such matters on p90 along with some helpful snaps.

Thinking about it the excellent Parkside kit might be a better place to start if you were intending to chop and hack!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sorting the website access Paul

Brilliant photos as always - and as other posters have pointed out examples in S Wales - so good to go

Looks like there were 1/146 welded hoppers as per PD PC77 kits that were built as fitted too so those will be fine for fitted heads

Thanks folks! Theres a trainload of Hornbys on the way from Liverpool as its unfitted running to H4 timings limited t0 35 mph so may take a while to get here...

Phil

• Like 1

Phil,

Mike,

more than the odd one got through, Briton Ferry and Newport docks where common locations for them.

Regards

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

Cheers Mike

Am sure you are right re Hornby's policy! Looks like there might have been enough around to form the basis for us though

Thanks as always

Phil

Thanks for sorting the website access Paul

Brilliant photos as always - and as other posters have pointed out examples in S Wales - so good to go

Looks like there were 1/146 welded hoppers as per PD PC77 kits that were built as fitted too so those will be fine for fitted heads

Thanks folks! Theres a trainload of Hornbys on the way from Liverpool as its unfitted running to H4 timings limited t0 35 mph so may take a while to get here...

Phil

You could always put a fitted head of Banana vans on, as they used to do at the time on unfitted mineral trains in South Wales.

I believe Welsh group 'Man' did a song about it...

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 3

You could always put a fitted head of Banana vans on, as they used to do at the time on unfitted mineral trains in South Wales.

The fitted head can also include 16t mins, clayfits, highfits, tubes and vanfits, all common in the area.

I do agree a good quality R-T-R fitted 21t hopper would be welcome, as would a good quality 21t min,

cheers

The wagon modelled by Hornby is E270706 it is pictured in David Larkins Working Wagons vol 1 (1968-1973) on page 18 at Kirkby Stephen in 1970.

Also in that book, and its companion vol 2 (1974-1979), there are four long handled E prefix wagons seen at Hoo Jn

Also in those books there are pictures of B prefix wagons with long handles at Bristol Westbury and Radstock,

cheers

Ex-NE routes at the turn of the decade; sounds like the basic ground rules will support a half dozen scuttling about in the Waverley route foothills.....

• RMweb Gold

Solved the problem of the wheel catching, converted it to EM! Problem then is the wheel catches the brake mechanism, so that needed gluing to the axleguard and thinning.

The moulded coupling block is a £$%^&*&*& to remove neatly though.

One of mine was missing the brake lever and ratchet from one side, soon sorted by my local shop.

Mike

Solved the problem of the wheel catching, converted it to EM! Problem then is the wheel catches the brake mechanism, so that needed gluing to the axleguard and thinning.

The moulded coupling block is a £$%^&*&*& to remove neatly though.

One of mine was missing the brake lever and ratchet from one side, soon sorted by my local shop.

Mike

I just thinned the brake mechanism to around half its original thickness.

Agreed about the coupling block removal....and my brake levers fell off whilst removing that block!