Hornby's new 21 ton hopper

• RMweb Gold

Oh bum theres 20 of them sat in the garage waiting for me to finish the weathering Jimbo and I started on Sunday

We are heading for 2 rakes - loaded and empty - with some PD fitted/unfitted mixed in with them

Better get out there this afternoon

Phil

They're looking good Mike. Mr Franks buffers?

Porcy's state of play at the moment.

Buffers shortened back to 18" variety with big file. Step for this buffer shortened with a bit of carving.

Drilled for springing and fitting the buffer ferrule. Ferrule not really necessary and purely cosmetic.

W irons thinned and plasticard guides fitted for Mr Bradwell spring plates.

post-508-0-51900700-1422713647.jpg

Here's an end view of the Diagram 100in the national collection.

post-508-0-30200600-1422714222.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't have you thinking we have been slacking all weekend!

Heres the first batch of dia 100 Hornby hoppers weathered - nearly good to go

Now we plainly haven't done some of the detail changes that other folks are doing on these - we need a train load ready for Trainwest, variety for us will come with the PD fitted/unfitted versions yet to be built

post-7138-0-53931300-1422808147_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-59520500-1422808170_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-03273200-1422808191_thumb.jpg

Need to get these - and 5528 - off the workbench to make room for the PD production line

Cheers

Phil

post-7138-0-51379400-1422808127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 16

Does anyone have an idea about the likely quantities of these being released?  My usual Hornby wagons are taken in threes but this is more a double-figure type and I'm spent up on discretionary outgoings until Valentine's Day.  

So in the manner of the Fast Show's Unlucky Alf, I expect I'll be muttering 'oh bu99er' when the time comes to enter my local retailer and scour his shelves....

• RMweb Gold

That's quicker progress than I'll ever achieve. Don't forget they all weren't painted the same shade of grey.

https://flic.kr/p/bbcfUc

P

Well it has taken two of us two weekends!

No doubt there were 50 shades of grey? Hee hee

That's a cracking picture at Sunderland - many thanks for sharing!

Shade will vary no doubt with PD kits - and we will have some bauxites/house coal concentration versions of the later diagrams too - have all the transfers here from John at CCTrans waiting to go

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

I chanced upon some foam rubber strips - used, I think, in packing a laptop battery - whose cross-section dimensions were a perfect fit for the inside of the hopper bodies. By cutting the strips into blocks they can be used to simulate wagon loads that fit without gaps but can also be easily removed.  Cut/carve the top face into a 'wagon load lump' profile and glue on a layer of the desired (coal?) load and hey presto!!

Good work you three...what's a bang/rapping plate?

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

I have heaps of the u channel profile blue foam strips we use in our loco storage boxes - modified exactly as you describe

And nowt looks as good as real coal for sure!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Doh!  I think I've rumbled the bang/rapping plate question - the raised strips on the outside of the hopper body(?)...I've carved enough of them off the Parkside mouldings in recent times...!!

Mark

Doh!  I think I've rumbled the bang/rapping plate question - the raised strips on the outside of the hopper body(?)

Officially referred to as rapping plates. Unofficially, batter plates, clatter plates, bash plates, dash plates and a host of other things I've heard them called. 1' 6" long according to the drawing.

post-508-0-82227600-1422817013.jpg

post-508-0-24887200-1422817123.jpg

Should anybody need some, Dave Bradwells 21 ton Hopper chassis etch provides shed loads of spare rapping plates (Riveted), chassis steps, two types of hopper door handles etc., and the instruction sheet provides loads of information.

p

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Large batches need an industrial process -its my son James's method

So with 2 of us working on 20 wagons...

Wheels out - painted gunmetal -dark grey/black, very matt unless polished

Airbrush laden with thinned frame dirt, wagons attacked from all angles

Allow paint to nearly dry then attack with cotton buds to remove/steer gloops in to corners as appropriate then leave to dry

Internal black wash

Aerosol of matt acrylic varnish once everything very dry

Wheels back in once varnish dry

Have also added a black acrylic wash to one which looks even better over this initial weathering/varnish and may add to more once we get around to renumbering

All 20 done to current standard in about 4 hours work over 2 weekends - just need to remove some adherent cotton fibres as seen in bottom photo, disadvantage with these wagons with all their rivets and angles is they catch the cotton buds.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Phil

Hi David

Large batches need an industrial process -its my son James's method

So with 2 of us working on 20 wagons...

Wheels out - painted gunmetal -dark grey/black, very matt unless polished

Airbrush laden with thinned frame dirt, wagons attacked from all angles

Allow paint to nearly dry then attack with cotton buds to remove/steer gloops in to corners as appropriate then leave to dry

Internal black wash

Aerosol of matt acrylic varnish once everything very dry

Wheels back in once varnish dry

Have also added a black acrylic wash to one which looks even better over this initial weathering/varnish and may add to more once we get around to renumbering

All 20 done to current standard in about 4 hours work over 2 weekends - just need to remove some adherent cotton fibres as seen in bottom photo, disadvantage with these wagons with all their rivets and angles is they catch the cotton buds.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I was thinking cotton buds might be in the process somewhere given Im weathering stock the same way. Will be looking to see if I can get a rake like yours when the need arises.

• Like 1

Thanks to Phil for directing to me to this thread... I will post my question that put up on the Help Page onto here:

Since Hornby announced their BR hoppers at Warley last year and upon realising that the wagon is a LNER design, I've been looking at getting several of these reverted into their former LNER liveries rather than BR.

Having looked through at the wagon sketch and photo on P.91 of Peter Tatlow's LNER Wagons Vol 4, am I right in thinking that the wagon is based on the Hurst Nelson version? If so, am I limited to just doing Hurst Nelson LNER Hoppers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres a cracking train of hoppers - hard to believe there so much variety in the train this late on

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95191-neils-hydraulic-pics/page-14- post 334

Can anyone with sharper eyes spot any diagram 100s in there?

Cheers

Phil

A few different shades of grey in this 1966 phot:

9631530372_27957461b6_c.jpgAshington Colliery pit heaps in 1966 by bikerbilly67, on Flickr

and here with a few long brake levers.

13273472103_521dc162b8_c.jpgDI_04Hartley Main Bridge, 1964 by ntynesidetrains, on Flickr

and here. I don't think I've posted these links before?

13273469963_9771005077_c.jpgDI_03 North of the A1058 Coast Road Bridge by ntynesidetrains, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7

Heres a cracking train of hoppers - hard to believe there so much variety in the train this late on

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95191-neils-hydraulic-pics/page-14- post 334

Can anyone with sharper eyes spot any diagram 100s in there?

Cheers

Phil

I have been looking through Paul Bartlett's photos and photos in books at mid to late 1970s coal trains in the East Midlands. The earlier designs seem to have lasted until 1977/1978 with large numbers being stored at Toton in 1978 (as photographed by Paul).

I would put this down as a direct result of B.R. using TOPS to identify where every wagon was on the system from approx 1976/1977. I think they suddenly realised that they didn't need anything like as many wagons once they knew exactly where they all were. Along with an economic downturn at the same time (and more mgrs being built) this spelt the end of many of the original bodied 21 ton hoppers (both rivetted and welded) and many of the top-flap 16 ton minerals. The only original bodied 21 ton hoppers seen regularly from 1979 were the ex house coal concentration welded ones with vacuum brakes.

I have seen photos of rivetted 21 ton hoppers in service in 1979/1980 but they are very rare.

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking through Paul Bartlett's photos and photos in books at mid to late 1970s coal trains in the East Midlands. The earlier designs seem to have lasted until 1977/1978 with large numbers being stored at Toton in 1978 (as photographed by Paul).

I would put this down as a direct result of B.R. using TOPS to identify where every wagon was on the system from approx 1976/1977. I think they suddenly realised that they didn't need anything like as many wagons once they knew exactly where they all were. Along with an economic downturn at the same time (and more mgrs being built) this spelt the end of many of the original bodied 21 ton hoppers (both rivetted and welded) and many of the top-flap 16 ton minerals. The only original bodied 21 ton hoppers seen regularly from 1979 were the ex house coal concentration welded ones with vacuum brakes.

I have seen photos of rivetted 21 ton hoppers in service in 1979/1980 but they are very rare.

Not a 'sudden realisation' so much as proof that what had long been thought to be the case really was the case.  One of the justifications for the cost of TOPS was the fact that it would enable a 'serious' reduction in the wagon fleet - it started identifying the surpluses as early as 1974 in some places.

I have seen quoted that the design life of a wagon underframe was 40 years, and that of the body, 20. Thus it's not surprising that relatively few 21t hoppers with original bodies were around post-1976, as the bodies would have been replaced, either with the 'simplified' hopper body, or with an MDO body.