West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

I can't decide on a name! Haigmoor, Bramley, Crossley, Garsford, Garsfield, Drewton, Horton... Which sounds most appropriately West Riding?! Help please!

Combining two of your choices produces Bramley Moor which has a Yorkshire ring about it. Good luck with this layout.

• Like 3

I think Bramley is a good west riding name. It almost feels as if it fits around Batley & the outskirts of Leeds ; )

It is on the outskirts of  Leeds.

Its on the Bradford interchange line, about 4 miles outside Leeds, Just before you get to New Pudsey.

JB Priestley gave me Clecklewyke, so I hope you don't duplicate that name!

He also used Bruddersford in "The Good Companions" and someone coined Haliford but I have to confess that I don't think these  two work too well, being obviously contrived.

I love the idea of your layout - it looks as though you have planned it very well and, as has been said elsewhere, that loco shed, especially the interior shot, looks as though you've set a high standard to follow. The plan is brilliant - the only quibble I would have is that it does not permit simultaneous passenger arrivals and departures, but to allow this would require more space and pointwork.

It looks as though it's a terminus for a city, so you could follow the route that I did, by choosing a railway company that did not reach a particular city but might have. I chose Bradford North Western, imagining that the LNWR had built a branch there and that its terminus was secondary to the pre-existing railway companies, in this case MR, GNR and L&Y.

So how about Halifax North Western, Halifax Midland, or Sheffield North Western? 

Better still, as part of their push to build a main line through Bradford, bypassing Leeds, the Midland did plan a branch with a large terminus at Huddersfield (but they only got as far as building a single track goods branch).

So there are plenty of options and I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Ian

P.S. I love the idea of the headshunt with the rest of the goods yard out of view. It's a really good way of allowing some goods traffic even when you are very pressed for space so can only build a "bitsa" what you'd really like. I'm sure Iain Rice, inventor of the bitsa concept, would approve and I hope you don't mind if I pinch it! :locomotive:

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the comments people, I really appreciate it. There is so much skill on display on this site, it's very inspiring and intimidating!!

I really like Bramley- I could invent an alternative history and justify naming it something along the lines of 'Bramley Parr Street'...?

Clecklewyke- I absolutely adore your work. The atmosphere and feel of Clecklewyke is exactly what I am aiming for and if I can achieve a fraction of what you have I'll be happy. Sticking with JB Priestley; how about something using 'Gretley'? Does it sound West Riding?

Pete

(something) Arkwright Street, - though there was one in Nottingham

..... Mill Street,

.....Clough,

.....Fold,

.....Royd

.....Brigg

I like Calder Royd as a pairing; the river Calder (West Riding) and Royd (meaning a clearing or settlement) - perhaps a town on a river?

Apologies if it's been done before, perhaps I have seen it somewhere in the dim and distant.......

Sticking with JB Priestley; how about something using 'Gretley'? 

Pete

Thank you for your kind words, Pete. If you want to see Clecklewyke it will be at Scaleforum in September,

Re "Bramley" -

for me that is too well known as a station on the Midland line out of Leeds and thus has too firm a geographical location to fictionalise. I cannot think of a scenario whereby the real Bramley would justify a three platform terminus.

Re "Gretley" -

It's a good Northern sounding name, with no real WR location to muddy the fictional water but I am pretty sure that it featured in the old O gauge layout "The Sherwood Section", as Gretley Colliery, so for me it has other, South Humber connotations, which puts it firmly outside  the West Riding. However, without that subjective context, yes, I suppose it might fit.

But no doubt other people will disagree and find Clecklewyke and Bradford North Western equally inappropriate for various reasons. You pays your money...

I found it interesting that when I googled Gretley it came up with an Australian coal mine, so at least it has some connection with the WR scene. I wonder whether the Sherwood Section group knew about that?

Ian 

Sticking with JB Priestley; how about something using 'Gretley'? Does it sound West Riding?

To me using Gretley is like using Bulleidwyke, Cleckfowler or Colletfield...they're patriotically twee. Bellendroyd has a ring about it though... :mail:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

One way of doing it is to look at the earliest Ordnance Survey map, and pick a location where your GN/LNWR terminus might have gone.  For example there's an East Brook quite near the city centre; 'Eastbrook Joint/Victoria/Lane' all sound credible. Alternatively you could pick a more outlying settlement and decide that the road the station lies on is named for this route; I'd fancy 'Toftshaw Road' for West Riding flavour, under BR now 'Bradford Toftshaw'.

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the stanier tank in your wonderful engine shed you have a liking for LMR so how about "Halifax Fowler street". The ex midland terminus that never was.

Am interested to observe your progress.

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

The layout is a secondary mainline urban terminus in a fictitious West Riding location, think Bradford area with LNWR and GNR origins, set during the mid 1950's.

I can't decide on a name! Haigmoor, Bramley, Crossley, Garsford, Garsfield, Drewton, Horton... Which sounds most appropriately West Riding?! Help please!

Have you considered using some of the names of actual localities in the area?

Oakenshaw, Bierley, Wyke, Wibsey and Bowling are all in the Bradford district.

Scholes, Lightcliffe, Rastrick and Hartshead might be suitable if you want something further south towards Brighouse and the Calder Valley.

Bank Top, Siddall, Wheatley, Midgley and Bradshaw if you go further west towards Halifax.

HTH

Hi people, thanks so much for all the input I should have a short list of name later today for your approval!

The upper of the 3 tracks that enter the fiddle yard is the departure line, the middle is for arrivals and the lower is to the off scene goods yard. I realise that I have limited operational scope because both the arrival and departure merge under the scenic break but as I will be the sole operator and it gives access to all storage sidings I will live with it. I struggled to fit a more complicated point layout in the limited space.

The pillars in the engine shed are 2 diameters of plastic tubing. I inetended on turning small tapered columns on a lathe in work and managed to make 1 but I couldn't hold the machine up to do the rest so had to compromise!! Such a shame when work gets in the way of modelling!

Pete

If you want real names, try 'Idle' (a suburb of Bradford) and of course home to the "Idle Workingman's Club" - a good humour opportunity for a cameo scene.

For some reason can't paste a link, but do a google/Wikipedia search and you'll find it.

Rgds,

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

Great to see another of Dave's locos about to come back into service. It looks very much at home in that shed. As to the name problem, that was something Dave and I discussed at great length when he was trying to christen Tetleys Mills 3. I personally can't get on with made up names - which is one reason for modelling a prototype this time- and Dave was reluctant to make something up this time too, so we were discussing "might have beens" in the West Riding area. How about picking a real place where the arrival of the railway might have caused the population to take off, as happened all over the country?  It doesn't matter that much what the geography was either, judging by some of the schemes that did go ahead in the region.