West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

Morning Pete,

Excellent to see further progress on this wonderful layout it really does capture the Northern Terminus atmosphere. Glad to see you purchased the SLW class 24 I've just ordered my second one in the form of the two tone green version as I have a photograph of one on the line from Dee Marsh up to Chester but cannot make out it's number. 

The buildings for the low relief area are coming on a treat and again with so much atmosphere 

It was great to meet you at the Wigan show always good to put a face to a fellow modeller keep up the good work 

Martin 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update from me.

Firstly; great to meet you too Martin, and I was really impressed with CNG. I'd like to see some more images of your fantastic modelling, and those lovely 24's!

Well what have I been doing in between running sessions...? I have completed the next low relief building and started the mock-ups for the next few. The low relief buildings are all pretty straight forward once I have found reference images of the buildings I like, but I'm not that far away from the main scenic area above the fiddle yard entrance. I am playing around with the layout of the area but essentially it will be 2 main (fairly large) mill buildings, with a row of terrace house rear yards along the short wall. In the space above/behind the shed will be some scrub land with a small workshop building (just about) still standing! Well that's the plan anyway!

Some images;

post-21828-0-95585700-1525895481.jpg

post-21828-0-90699200-1525895493.jpg

post-21828-0-47923200-1525895503.jpg

Another project I have mostly completed is the expansion of the fiddle yard. I was restricted to 3 sidings and it was noticeable during running sessions; having to constantly remove and shuffle stock from the siding nearest the operating area (siding 3), leaving the other 2 for the longer rakes of coaches. I have extended siding 3 to use a cassette system. It is pretty basic but works well. I'll let the pictures do the very basic explaining; I used 5mm ply (cut nice and straight from the local large DIY shop) into 70mm x 1 metre lengths. I then countersunk M4 screws and tapped uncoated aluminium L section pieces for the rails and side supports. They are lightweight but rigid. I will be making more up soon, when I can justify spending more money on aluminium section! 

They fit a decent amount of stock on them, again sidings 1 & 2 are kept for the longer rakes. They have made operating so much more fluid and I am looking forward to making more permanent stock formations, detailing and weathering them.

post-21828-0-63309000-1525895524.jpg

post-21828-0-67681900-1525895533.jpg

post-21828-0-86285300-1525895546.jpg

post-21828-0-20003100-1525895558.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Pete 

• Like 16

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

Well it's been a long time since I updated the layout thread but work has been progressing at a steady, but slow pace! 

Firstly, Andrew; apologies for the very late reply. I like the look of Aldersgate very much. The buildings look so intricate- it will look fantastic when complete. I like the sector plate but think I would struggle for space to index it. The cassettes are a big improvement.

The reason for the lack of updates is mainly due to my ancient laptop not being able to upload pictures from my phone. I keep meaning to upgrade it and probably will at some point soon. I want one with a decent graphics card so I can run a CAD package I have access to, although this will encourage me to buy a laser printer so maybe i'd better not!

Although I'm on RMweb every day, this is the first time I've used it on a PC/laptop and not my phone. I'm still getting used to the new version of the website, and have certainly noticed the upload restrictions! Regarding the gold membership, I don't have an issue paying for something I use very regularly although I must admit it still feels a little corporate.

I have taken snips of a few images over the last year- when I say it like that it makes progress feel even slower!!

All of the work has been on the scenic side of things, interlaced with running sessions.

Thanks for reading,

Pete

RM_1.PNG.4b7b7e82e484eeedce236938ca29e301.PNG

RM_2.PNG.1cd5fd93af181cdd8d5985dfb68d0e18.PNG

RM_3.PNG.a10cbae80b771240ae23fd3a2df3a953.PNG

RM_4.PNG.ea38ec39a18fbf360c7feaf4c62bf11e.PNG

• Like 16

All of the mill buildings are based on photos of actual buildings in various locations in the West Riding.

For the building tucked into the corner (the third image on this post), I tried a new technique to produce the windows. I made a master and cast them using 2 part polyurethane casting resin. I can elaborate if anyone cares to know. The results were okay but because of the learning curve they took as long as the individually cut 0.5mm & 0.8mm square section ones. I will use this technique in the future, but not for highly reflective windows. I am satisfied in using them in this instance as the building is at the rear of the layout, tucked away!

45657777_RM9.PNG.4b570b2948bbd9f5a2d1ec20b43825d7.PNG

1263071005_RM10.PNG.277a96d86bf2b27c214397ca37720b92.PNG

803333775_RM11.PNG.e97d199359f10e0f722f6fd5f46e3741.PNG

RM_12.PNG.3705112020416de36f1fbb9035befebf.PNG

Edited by BurscoughCurves
  • Like 19

Great to see the current progress this really is an excellent model Pete. The mill buildings are brilliant and very much capture the West Yorkshire atmosphere of the area, you must be very proud of your efforts to date. Glad your back posting was wondering if you had been lost in the onslaught updates that has be-fallen our happy little community. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Whoah! Those mill buildings are incredible! Very reminiscent of the area, sadly greatly reduced in number. I vaguely remember driving past one old stalwart, ablaze, in the 1990s, which was demolished shortly after. Thankfully some survive, like the old Crossley Carpets building in Halifax.

Great to see an update on this superb layout.

• Thanks 1

Hi Pete, ashamed to say I must have missed your layout thread so started from page 1 and read it right through. Gilbert was right in saying Dave Shakespeare would have really enjoyed seeing his modelling techniques finding their way onto yet another layout. Sales of Slaters 7mm stone must have rocketed since they first appeared in Tetleys Mills.......

What started as a few bare boards is really blossoming and your buildings and interiors really are a work of art.

Keep the updates coming...:good_mini:

• Thanks 1

Great to see the updates on this layout absolutely first class work. Ive just ordered a copy of the book you recommend as my working life started in a Mill just like those featured here, unfortunately I don't think it will help me produce model building to the same standard.

Looking forward to more updates.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just love the mill buildings and the retaining walls, they really capture the atmosphere of the area, the colouring and weathering is spot on.

Great stuff Pete, really excellent.

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I’m quite overwhelmed by the positive comments- thanks everyone!

I’m glad people seem to like how things are looking; I’ve still got plenty to do yet and have learnt so much to take to my next layout.

I’ve just been listening to the football whilst laying slates on the small mill building roof. I find this very tedious, even more than making windows for some reason. Still, after a coat of paynes grey and a dusting of talc I’m happy with the results.

It has always been my dream to get a layout in a magazine, I’d love to do that with HPS before I have to give the spare room up!

Thanks again,

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Hi All,

I’m quite overwhelmed by the positive comments- thanks everyone!

I’m glad people seem to like how things are looking; I’ve still got plenty to do yet and have learnt so much to take to my next layout.

I’ve just been listening to the football whilst laying slates on the small mill building roof. I find this very tedious, even more than making windows for some reason. Still, after a coat of paynes grey and a dusting of talc I’m happy with the results.

It has always been my dream to get a layout in a magazine, I’d love to do that with HPS before I have to give the spare room up!

Thanks again,

Pete

..........before you give up the spare room !!!!!:scare::scare:.........this man needs a shed ....:smoke:

• Funny 1

Absolutely fantastic! 

Well worth the wait for the updates! 

Apart from the first class scenery and buildings, I really like how spacious the area looks, and not over crowded but at the same time very detailed and very "real" looking. 

John