West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

23 hours ago, maq1988 said:

I'm sure plenty of others have said - I've enjoyed finding your thread and spending some time reading through the layout development.

What you've achieved with plasticard, glue and paint is astounding. Love the low track level shots of the already imposing retaining wall - topped by huge factories and the mill. Such scale created in such a small physical space.

All that with the attention to detail like the workshop interior, cat on the roof and the cut down posts of the old canopy. Weathering seems spot on all around.

Only 16 pages on here, one of the best layouts I've seen.

Maq1988,

Thank you so much for the high praise, all the positive comments mean so much.

As I've mentioned before, I want to learn as much as I can on this layout and on the whole am happy with how things are turning out. There are plenty of shortcomings that get to me; particularly the track and signalling compromises and the proprietary point-work but I am looking forward to improving on these on my next layout.

All the best,

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, richard.h said:

First class work as we have come to expect, you certainly know how to create a typical grimy railway scene, the Mill area looks great.

On the N2 did you use weathering powders around the coal rails etc to give the appearance of rust?

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much!

On the N2 the rust around the coal rails and bunker is actually from the airbrush; masked by holding a business card up by hand. I had to check though because it looks like powder in the photo! I'm sure it would give a similar result. I tend to prefer powders for rust due to the texture it gives but was having a play around on this.

Stay safe,

Pete

Edited by BurscoughCurves
Typo correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Pete,

Don't be hard on yourself, your layout is marvellous. It's the sum of parts, and I can understand what might drive you to want to improve on some of those parts (in the future) but for the moment stick with what you're doing. I and others are seriously envious of the overall atmosphere you are creating.

Regards,

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2020 at 07:24, leopardml2341 said:

Pete,

Don't be hard on yourself, your layout is marvellous. It's the sum of parts, and I can understand what might drive you to want to improve on some of those parts (in the future) but for the moment stick with what you're doing. I and others are seriously envious of the overall atmosphere you are creating.

Regards,

Thanks again Andy, really appreciate the support.

Well I've stuck with detailing and weathering locos this week.

I have given my J50 a light weathering, although the image below is unfinished. This is after an initial airbrush session, I finished it with some powders and oil staining.

J50_-_1.PNG.61a40df82fde779e0b12e358dd8bc9f0.PNG

I also bought some Silver Tay models etched brass smoke deflectors for my Britannia, and have ordered some name-plates and numbers so she will become 70054 Dornoch Firth. She was going to be 70041 Sir John Moore but there was a change of plan after I realised 70041 didn't have a BR1a tender (until much later on if at all?). 

I made a bit of an error (I think) with the horizontal hand rail; on the single reference image I was working off (the clearest I had), the horizontal protruded the same distance from the deflector as the vertical. On most other images of LMR deflectors the horizontal protruded further, to act as a foot-hold I presume? I will have to live with it as I think it would look far worse to correct this now. The fact that there is a prototype image as per my model makes it bearable. 

159673585_Britannia4.PNG.ebd58e60614459cb8c973270d6413fb0.PNG

Awaiting name and number:

Britannia_8.PNG.cbd2934ee3904cbc86fe8cd1522bf068.PNG

Britannia_9.PNG.e457cf2cfd6bccdf4530a55e08c29437.PNG

110856855_Britannia10.PNG.877e24bb9371aa20925d900046ae27f1.PNG

715735719_Britannia11.PNG.15b3d746667106c62a454fd13a79b8e6.PNG

The next locos awaiting weathering; B1, std 4MT, K1 and my crab. I have changed the early emblem to late on 3 locos to balance up the mix as I've moved my preferred era to 1958 - 1962. I've also ordered a decent supply of decals from Model Master to re-number my '08, coaching stock and vans. Lots to do!

Thanks for reading, taken care.

Pete

• Like 18

1 hour ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Thanks again Andy, really appreciate the support.

Well I've stuck with detailing and weathering locos this week.

I have given my J50 a light weathering, although the image below is unfinished. This is after an initial airbrush session, I finished it with some powders and oil staining.

J50_-_1.PNG.61a40df82fde779e0b12e358dd8bc9f0.PNG

I also bought some Silver Tay models etched brass smoke deflectors for my Britannia, and have ordered some name-plates and numbers so she will become 70054 Dornoch Firth. She was going to be 70041 Sir John Moore but there was a change of plan after I realised 70041 didn't have a BR1a tender (until much later on if at all?). 

I made a bit of an error (I think) with the horizontal hand rail; on the single reference image I was working off (the clearest I had), the horizontal protruded the same distance from the deflector as the vertical. On most other images of LMR deflectors the horizontal protruded further, to act as a foot-hold I presume? I will have to live with it as I think it would look far worse to correct this now. The fact that there is a prototype image as per my model makes it bearable. 

159673585_Britannia4.PNG.ebd58e60614459cb8c973270d6413fb0.PNG

Awaiting name and number:

Britannia_8.PNG.cbd2934ee3904cbc86fe8cd1522bf068.PNG

Britannia_9.PNG.e457cf2cfd6bccdf4530a55e08c29437.PNG

110856855_Britannia10.PNG.877e24bb9371aa20925d900046ae27f1.PNG

715735719_Britannia11.PNG.15b3d746667106c62a454fd13a79b8e6.PNG

The next locos awaiting weathering; B1, std 4MT, K1 and my crab. I have changed the early emblem to late on 3 locos to balance up the mix as I've moved my preferred era to 1958 - 1962. I've also ordered a decent supply of decals from Model Master to re-number my '08, coaching stock and vans. Lots to do!

Thanks for reading, taken care.

Pete

Nice!

I’ve got the same job to do on my 7MT to change it from 70025 into 70010!

Good to see you completed the task :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Nice!

I’ve got the same job to do on my 7MT to change it from 70025 into 70010!

Good to see you completed the task :) 

I had noticed but wasn’t copying I promise! 

It makes a big difference; I had wanted to upgrade them before purchasing the loco! Also, the plastic deflectors were uneven when viewed from the front as supplied. If they are now, at least I know who’s responsible for it!

I look forward to your updates as ever.

Regards,

Pete

41 minutes ago, BurscoughCurves said:

I had noticed but wasn’t copying I promise! 

It makes a big difference; I had wanted to upgrade them before purchasing the loco! Also, the plastic deflectors were uneven when viewed from the front as supplied. If they are now, at least I know who’s responsible for it!

I look forward to your updates as ever.

Regards,

Pete

Keep up the inspirational work :) 

Your layout looks great!  The Silver Tay ones are definitely more detailed!  

I’ve had to abandon my renumbering plans for 70025 into 70010- 

The Clan kit I brought it to be a donor for actually needs more parts than I first thought so I’m gonna finish the Clan instead as 72005/07/06.  

Britannia's are just outside my timeframe...  One day I may get one if I can source one for less than a mortgage! 

Best

Dan 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Hi all,

I hope everyone is keeping well and continuing to stay safe.

I managed to (almost) finish a small project I have had waiting for quite some time now; a conversion of an old Hornby hand crane using a Cowans & Sheldon conversion kit from @jonhall.

I need to find a suitable decal set for it, but it is mostly complete and is based on the 6.5 ton crane.

Very nice! John at CCT does a set for this crane, although i believe he has put CCT into hibernation during Covid to reduce his trips to the post office.

Jon

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2020 at 21:15, jonhall said:

Very nice! John at CCT does a set for this crane, although i believe he has put CCT into hibernation during Covid to reduce his trips to the post office.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I will keep an eye out for when they become available. Thanks again for the kit.

22 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Pete.

That crain looks the business mate.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez. It adds a bit of interest to the MPD siding next to the shed. It's currently shacked up next to my L&Y Radial acting as a withdrawn engine. I like the loco a lot but as I've shifted the date of the layout it has become a bit of a rarity. I'm thinking of making a (removable) tarpaulin to cover the cab and chimney when running in the early 60's era. It'll still get to run on locals in '58!

The first run of the Britannia since she changed identity to 70054 Dornoch Firth:

Britannia.JPG.de5bbd78f7a0817a2fbce6e73021e286.JPG

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 12

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

A quick update on some recent projects.

I've been considering for some time now getting a DLP 3D printer and finally bit the bullet. I purchased an Anycubic Photon S printer and have been test printing some items for the layout. I could have got a lot of use out of it if I had had it some time ago for detailing the buildings on the layout, but I am content having done all of the fiddly, laborious tasks 'long hand'! 

The first project was to make some ground signals. Having seen the ones available from DCC Concepts, I felt they looked a little over-scale so thought I'd have a go at CAD modelling and printing some of my own. I found various dimensions online and ordered some micro LED's in warm white and red.

The printing has been a real learning curve but I have made some progress. I am waiting for delivery of SPDT switches before installing them.

Various early test prints at different orientations:

image8.jpg.0961bf6325a2d058042bdc92f7aab115.jpg

484541561_image9(2).jpg.02e71335dd6967aa5bdcc8d717e1b8c1.jpg

image9.jpg.981bd1cc469a8516d87d9a186b4bd046.jpg

The two chosen for use on the layout will be mounted to a concrete base (as per a reference image) and have been primed and painted black. They will be dimly illuminated on the circuit that powers the semaphore signal servos. I will have to re-arrange my control panel though, a task I am not looking forward to!

image10.jpg.8f0e9778f9c0c6642b2f539c0ca41d68.jpg

image11.jpg.2852d98025d94fe244505f416e508591.jpg

The second project has been to replace the DCC Concept gas lamps to a more scale version. I realise this post may look like a conspiracy against DCC Concepts! That certainly isn't the case; I like the lamps purchased but as was highlighted earlier in the thread, they are a little large and dominate the scene. The design is based on some period lamps in a local (posh) estate. The image below was imported into my CAD package and the muppet in it was used to scale off (me).

image2.jpg.9b7e82a9fed4ea02a8bb87b9e8dc5558.jpg

image3.jpg.0e681958918d558a5ba59d00fcbf3548.jpg

The initial design was extremely fine but very flimsy when printed and cured, so a slightly beefed up version was modelled:

image4.jpg.a178c4e80fff31936c68a1b9751cd019.jpg

I was struggling to maintain the 1mm through hole along the length of the thin stem. After multiple failed test prints, I decided to make it out of four pieces, and using a fine copper tube as the post section. I am happy with the results, and could certainly improve on this in the future from what I have learnt.

Clear resin was used to act as glazing for the glass panels. Build plate with various component parts:

1559918507_image5(2).jpg.a9ceedb2f5cda6f9784560f45172ab5e.jpg

The wonky prototype:

image1.jpg.95571b8e6eb01149821975133cdd329b.jpg

The initial assemblies on the layout:

image5.jpg.a66ce76e366b740fbcab1ed20c57939e.jpg

image6.jpg.d66642b5f8f2114773bc341ee0d1d17d.jpg

image7.jpg.9ac8f0e7fde99715337f84e864a51832.jpg

The Photon is a great tool, and has so much potential. It is however a messy process and as my layout is in a spare room I wasn't able to do anything in the room whilst I was printing due to the smell and harmful resins. I used the correct PPE (including respirator) and had my extractor running continually during prints.

After a week I couldn't wait to pack it away and continue with actual modelling though! I will likely use it in a similar fashion to the airbrush; sporadically when I have specific projects to concentrate on. 

If anyone would like some DCC concept lamps, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to pass them on.

Thanks for reading,

Pete

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Very good.

It's a shame you've put it away!!

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

I’m going to build up some more CAD to print whilst it’s away, and play trains of course! 

I’m going to try a range of removable wagon loads next I think.

The prototype and proprietary lamp for comparison:

76BF5CD7-1C5B-4D30-BDF7-3C6EF957388F.jpeg.e126de712ed989547b166a8a30800bc2.jpeg

Pete

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Those lamps look really good and fit in perfectly with the street scene I agree with you about the commercial ones they seem too large, I use them without the base extensions and they still appear overscale.

Richard

• Thanks 1