West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The layout is excellent and captures the atmosphere of the West Riding  I remember as a kid.

Just a few thoughts about the backscene; take them or leave them.

I know that there were remote mills, sometimes at higher altitude in the side valleys, hence the Piece Hall.

(There was a similar building in Huddersfield, I discovered when I did my PhD, but it was demolished int he 1870s.)

From a visual perspective I would group the chimneys in the valley bottom and ignore the remote ones.

In my Central Yorkshire League cricket days you were not so aware of them on the King Cross ground whereas you could not miss them at Sowerby Bridge.

(Mind you as the latter ground was accessed via a mill yard I might be  a little biased!)

Grouping them in the valley bottom would also emphasise the open countryside on the hills which, to me, is a characteristic West Riding trait not usually found in the other major industrial conurbations.

As for the smoke, you probably need a disco fogging machine to replicate the true atmosphere.

Regards,

Ian T

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

I am starting to think about adding some simple detail to the overcast photo back scene. I am thinking of airbrushing very subtle Pennine hills in two light brown and green shades and adding some faint building outlines. To mock up this I have crudely mocked up the following (in MS paint!):

In relation to the real Powell Street location in Halifax, Beacon Hill and Bank Top are due east and are dominant features overlooking the town and the valley of the Hebble brook.

Around the time of your Powell Street, Halifax had a power station, with two large cooling towers and a gas works both, due to the topography, effectively dominating the east and north-east side of the town.

To the north would have been the buildings and chimneys of the John Crossley carpets mills within the Dean Clough complex.

To the south, through the smog from the industrial town of Elland with another power station, would be the distant hills at Ainley Top, which forms the boundary to neighbouring Huddersfield. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

Let me correct you a little, Huddersfield Cloth Hall was demolished in 1930,

I stand corrected. I did not go and consult the thesis and put the date in off hand.

Few people nowadays realise that there even was such a building in the town, however, although Cloth Hall Street remains.

I cannot say that the modern day Sainsbury's (as it appears to be from Google Earth) is an improvement.

Ian T

• Agree 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the input on the backscene @ianathompson and @4630.

All this talk of PhD's... I am in the company of some learned folk!

Expanding the theme I have mocked up a second attempt. The chimneys just below the outcrop at Beacon Hill (on the left hand side) appear quite high but are very noticeable in some excellent images within the pages of 'Great Northern Outpost Volume 2: Halifax, Thornton & Keighley Railway'. I have slowly collected this range of books as they are full of excellent colour images. I based several of my buildings on prototypes from these books.

Back_Scene_Trial__2.jpg.9c514440bde8b6234810f113581defba.jpg

Although I can remove most of the buildings from immediately in front of the backscene, I don't think I can take the actual paper backscene down itself unfortunately. Bad planning on my part. I will either attempt airbrushing 'overlays' on the bench and mount them in position, or try going directly onto the backscene in-situ... carefully!

Regards,

Pete

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, BurscoughCurves said:

All this talk of PhD's...

It helped me to get onto every ground in the Football League in the early eighties and play in the CYL for three seasons longer than would have been the case!

The backscene looks better by the way!

Unfortunately the family, what remains of it, have moved away from the area and I rarely get to stamp on my native heath nowadays.

Ian T

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Although I can remove most of the buildings from immediately in front of the backscene, I don't think I can take the actual paper backscene down itself unfortunately. Bad planning on my part. I will either attempt airbrushing 'overlays' on the bench and mount them in position, or try going directly onto the backscene in-situ... carefully!

Regards,

Pete

Actually Pete, from a historical point of view, they're perfectly placed to represent the tea and coffee warehouse of T Collinson & Sons Ltd that, until 1970, occupied a large site just off Trinity Road perpendicular to Powell Street. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I  realise this thread has moved on  but I love the photos of an afternoons shunting. The last but one is fabulous, J50 heading into the tunnel with a raft of vans and the light catching the mill buildings above, I looked thrice, that picture should be in BRM or whatever! West Yorkshire in a nutshell! please post more like that.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete.

I'm loving the back scene mate, very atmospheric. The printed stuff is outstanding. I wish I had that skill. 

Regards Lez. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Thanks Mike. As I've mentioned before it is a goal of mine to get a layout published and I hope that will be case for HPS.

It should indeed, very worthy of publication.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

A great set of photos of your first class layout, I was very impressed by the items made withe 3d printer, I had previously thought that this type of printer was a luxury but seeing your work and others it is starting to look like another essential tool for quality railway modelling.

Richard

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

G'Day Folks

I like that, smaller than I thought, but I like the use of the stock trays (can't think of there name) I have been thinking about building a few for myself. Usual problem, to much stock.

manna

Excellent progress I really like  the overall gritty down to earth look you have achieved ,the buildings are very well made and fit the scene well.I would have thought that some sort of canopies would have been over the platforms but I do not know the actual location so its only a thought.Thanks for the pics and chat. 

• Thanks 1