West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, season’s greetings.

Managed to finish the tree house play set for my niece, and I must admit I did enjoy making it. I used a product called Sculptamold for the landform and I quite liked it. I got the idea from the excellent Luke Towan on YouTube; I may well use this on future scenic work. 

She seemed to love it thankfully, so once I’ve had a clean of the layout room (mainly removing all the dust formed) I can get back to my modelling!

I consciously kept the colours brighter than I would for my own dreary modelling, especially the stream!  

Hope you are all staying safe,

Pete

EC90E344-AEB5-4E01-8749-4C6BF4998993.jpeg

61C7CFC3-B5BC-418D-B0A8-D87ED0BA197A.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2020 at 11:51, teaky said:

Just down stream from the dye works?

On the walk to the Grammar School at Batley it used to be a source of speculation as to what colour the beck would be.

The bridge was downstream from a local mill and environmental considerations were not quite so important in those days.

(And that's not taking account what came out of the chimneys.)

I've certainly seen it bright blue before now.

Ian T

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather like the foam filled river I recall seeing on boyhood trips to Yorkshire when visiting grandparents. It was probably from the Calder weir at Wakefield as the old bridge was still the main road back then.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, john new said:

Rather like the foam filled river I recall seeing on boyhood trips to Yorkshire when visiting grandparents. It was probably from the Calder weir at Wakefield as the old bridge was still the main road back then.

On several occasions, the Aire at Castleford was solid with foam between the weir and the road bridge.  I think I've seen pictures of where it had invaded the town.

Adrian

• Like 1

The Irwell in Manchester used to turn some lovely colours, with or without foam, when I was a boy in the 60's.
Look at it now, you can fish in it these days.
Everything about this layout is superb. 
It's very atmospheric and brings back memories of my youth.
Have a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

A little late but Happy New Year! 

As I've previously mentioned, I have cleared my modelling/home working bench over Christmas and set up my extractor and spray booth (a cardboard box) to continue weathering locos and stock with the airbrush.

I feel I've made decent progress over the last few days and have weathered almost all of my locos. The only pristine one left is the SLW class 24. I haven't got the courage to do this yet! 

For all of my steam locos I have used a limited range of enamel paints (shown below), primarily from a set by AK Interactive. Once dry I finish with rust and ash powders and metal coat to boot polished steps etc. They all tend to end up looking rather similar though!

280356527_image001.jpg.166339e045974c711ffc9caf37ce2e61.jpg

A Bachmann Crab, early crest changed to late. The reference images I worked from showed a very prominent rust colour primarily on the cylinders but I think it looks a little odd being so isolated on my version.

1695267141_image001.jpg.f67ca93696475debbe54eb86eaa7c75b.jpg

418639097_image003.jpg.97d1fe198a7a0cb4c45af1810962c427.jpg

A Hornby B1. Re-crested again and more heavily weathered:

534186102_image004.jpg.a7439bcb19ecd3b4ef0762d1a21a8d36.jpg

1247354973_image005.jpg.bd6b91468c1658929465a674a91b68df.jpg

A Hornby Black 5. Again, re-crested and more lightly weathered. The coal for all of my steam locos came from a lump taken (with permission) direct from the tender of a 1:1 Black 5 on a visit to the ELR several years ago. I have photos stored from this somewhere from an old phone but can't seem to find them right now. I asked the very friendly crew if I could take a piece, and was told 'take a bigger lump than that lad!' after picking a palm sized piece! I have enough for my future steam fleet for certain!

1983590565_image006.jpg.9e856434d6b493dbe543fde8520afcc6.jpg

548813517_image007.jpg.cce71365863c162d271e34803a39a881.jpg

755470605_image008.jpg.0c089c46a5ef0c246e0aa4eec7939dab.jpg

From previous experiments I have had very little success with acrylics. I did want to revisit them so weathered my class 20 using a Lifecolor Rail Weathering set. I got on a lot better this time so have started to use this range for my coaching stock.

The Bachmann class 20 has been renumbered. My usual method of very fine emery and cotton buds with T cut was taking an age so I (stupidly) decided to try an automated version. I dipped a polishing bobbin in T cut and used a multitool on low revs. Well, it sort of worked but the line between removing the decal and melting the plastic was extremely small so I made a real mess to be honest. I was going to give it a light weathering, but this increased to a medium/heavy to try to cover up my dressed back melted patches. It sort of worked but I am really annoyed with my stupidity. As it turns out, D8056 should have a grey cab roof (I think) and the number in a lower position. We live and learn...

1695658903_image009.jpg.ffaaf4021678f93ac054f49ff05d06ea.jpg

79762947_image010.jpg.fb63338bb3d11eae46824d697df76d13.jpg

Coaches and wagons to follow.

All the best,

Pete

image+002.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Just thinking about your statement about the cylinders, Pete, to my eye the colour looks too 'tan' rather than rust and also has a bit of a sheen, but not an oily sheen - maybe that's why it looks stark?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work. It isn't rust but road muck. Generally thrown up off the bogie wheels onto the cylinders. May need to be lighter than the colour used.  A brief experiment undertaken by LNER4479 with Tornado revealed all.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BurscoughCurves said:

As it turns out, D8056 should have a grey cab roof (I think) and the number in a lower position. We live and learn...

Trying to be helpful, honest, it should have the coaching stock roundel not the winged version, unless of course there's a picture of it like that, in which case I unreservedly aplologise!

Mike.

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Trying to be helpful, honest, it should have the coaching stock roundel not the winged version, unless of course there's a picture of it like that, in which case I unreservedly aplologise!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

You are correct. I have royally messed up on that one! She’ll have to rejoin the back of the weathering queue.

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nice work. It isn't rust but road muck. Generally thrown up off the bogie wheels onto the cylinders. May need to be lighter than the colour used.  A brief experiment undertaken by LNER4479 with Tornado revealed all.

Baz

Thanks Baz. I’ll blend them in a little and see how they look.

My airbrush is the original cheap one that came in a set with a compressor. Although I strip and clean it after use, I haven’t removed the seal between the paint cup and the trigger assembly yet. I’m going to have to do this as I suspect it might have perished as I keep getting paint in the trigger area after about half an hour of use.

I’m guessing finding the correct replacements may be trickier to find for an unbranded airbrush?

Pete

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1