West Riding Terminus- Halifax Powell Street

BurscoughCurves

Hi all,

Had a good time at the Liverpool Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday, and picked up a lifetime supply of black weathering powder!

Did a little modelling today, with mixed results. I started the stonework on the retaining wall but tomorrow night i'm going to alter the DAS uprights to taper at the bottom to match the main wall as the blend between the plastikard and DAS looks awful. Failing that wont bother with the DAS at all (other than for blending corners/joins) but this will mean lots of awkward cutting and bending.

Corner area with Mikes Models buffers. The two pieces of walls are just propped upright temporarily; 

post-21828-0-02295400-1430082759_thumb.jpg

Awful DAS uprights;

post-21828-0-94523400-1430082766_thumb.jpg

Also painted and weathered the wooden cover for the coaling stage/water tank. I like the look of it but doubt i'll keep it. What was the purpose of these? Surely rainwater refilling the tank was a good thing? Also I can't find a picture of a former LNWR/LMS coal hole with a cover on!

post-21828-0-17208400-1430082780_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to sort out my mess from today!

Thanks for reading my ramblings,

Pete

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Had a good time at the Liverpool Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday, and picked up a lifetime supply of black weathering powder!

Did a little modelling today, with mixed results. I started the stonework on the retaining wall but tomorrow night i'm going to alter the DAS uprights to taper at the bottom to match the main wall as the blend between the plastikard and DAS looks awful. Failing that wont bother with the DAS at all (other than for blending corners/joins) but this will mean lots of awkward cutting and bending.

Corner area with Mikes Models buffers. The two pieces of walls are just propped upright temporarily; 

attachicon.gifRW1.JPG

Awful DAS uprights;

attachicon.gifRW2.JPG

What was the purpose of these? Surely rainwater refilling the tank was a good thing?

attachicon.gifCS1.JPG

I would guess that it was to stop dead (drowned) birds from getting into the locomotive tanks/tenders.

Hi there,

Managed to alter the first DAS upright, I prefer the look of it now but think it will blend better when it has dried, been re-scribed and painted:

post-21828-0-24913300-1430168127_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-85775500-1430168140_thumb.jpg

I think I may have to alter my ballasting technique. I have currently painted dilute Copydex between and along the edge of the sleepers and covered the track with ballast (Carrs 2mm for the main running lines and ash for the carriage sidings). When the excess is removed, it leaves a nice, but thin layer of ballast. I think because the Peco sleepers are quite thick I may have to use a thicker layer of PVA to build the ballast layer up in fewer coats. I'll have a play soon to see if is more appropriate.

Happy modelling folks.

Pete

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

As a one time extensive user of Bradford Exchange - I think you have it about how I remember!

The colour variation depends on the porosity of each sandstone block.

The more porous it was - the more water (and dirt) it absorbed and the more prone to frost damage it became.

I've actually stood by and leaned against, one of the walls at Bradford Exchange.

On some of the blocks the surface would rub off leaving a lighter shade of stone visible.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

That looks pretty good to me. Pete. One hell of a lot of grime will have stuck to that wall in a century or so. I used to look out of my office window at the remains of Nottingham Victoria, mainly huge retaining walls, and they looked very dark indeed.

Thanks Phil and Gilbert. I must be too familiar with post Clean Air Act modern pressure-washed stone; all of the images I found in any area (Bradford, Liverpool, London) around the 50's and 60's were almost all solid black! How did peoples' lungs cope?!

I dismantled my DC Derby Lightweight DMU (built by Dave Shakespeare) and started converting the Black Beetle motor to DCC.

post-21828-0-15926100-1430763703_thumb.jpg

Black Beetle with motor/contact wires unsoldered;

post-21828-0-43150000-1430763728_thumb.jpg

Extra holes added and Hatons decoder prepared;

post-21828-0-18002000-1430763883_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-80151900-1430763903_thumb.jpg

Lovely interior!

post-21828-0-56051300-1430763967_thumb.jpg

After almost blowing up the decoder on my first attempt, the loco is now under DCC control. It isn't the greatest runner, I think I may have to adjust the wheel pickups, but it just has that look that oozes nostalgia. I'm very fond of it.

Slowly getting there!

post-21828-0-47509900-1430764363_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-00376100-1430764375_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-61901300-1430764390_thumb.jpg

Pete 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi pete,

There appear to be very few colour images on the web that show how Bradford really was, but I remembered the R W Caroll had posted one in an earlier RMWeb.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w174/robertcwp/Other/BradfordExchange_undated_s.jpg

This gives a good idea what it was like!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments gents.

Unfortunately I haven't even been able to get into the railway room this week because of work, hopefully things will be back to 'normal' soon!

Phil- another cracking image, thanks. There doesn't seem to be too many 50's or 60's colour images of Halifax about, unless anyone has any hidden away?!

Thanks,

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments gents.

Unfortunately I haven't even been able to get into the railway room this week because of work, hopefully things will be back to 'normal' soon!

Phil- another cracking image, thanks. There doesn't seem to be too many 50's or 60's colour images of Halifax about, unless anyone has any hidden away?!

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete,

You are correct - not many photos of Halifax around - especially colour ones.

A photo survey of the station was done in the early 80's - it was one of the sites touted for the Bus Museum.

I do remember there were over 200 photos covering the station, goods shed and environs.

Not sure who would have the photos now though. 

If you try contacting the Halifax MRC - it is possible they gained them as the photographer was one of their members.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

It's been a while unfortunately; and this is usually the point at which I say 'slow going on the layout front due to work...'

So, slow going on the layout front due to work! I have progressed a little on the retaining wall front and have butchered (hopefully) about 80% of the slaters plastikard that I need to. I bought a couple of wills viri-girder kits and would have finished off the back wall section but ran out of DAS so was unable to finish the upright pieces;

post-21828-0-78574000-1433712653_thumb.jpg

The stone inside the tunnel has only been plonked in place, and before painting and powdering it really does look a mess!

post-21828-0-97067000-1433712790_thumb.jpg

A young spotter trades scraped knees and lifts himself for a glimpse over the wall;

post-21828-0-96200400-1433712871_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-73254000-1433712886_thumb.jpg

A few addition to the stock front in the form of a couple of suburban MK I's and a lovely horsebox;

post-21828-0-78101600-1433713141_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-93319500-1433713171_thumb.jpg

The brakevan was a 2nd hand purchase for a few quid from hattons which was strangely weighed down with a PP3 battery! Ironically the replacement 'liquid lead' is probably far less safe!

On a recent return trip from London, I was made up to spot (I think) Union of South Africa at crewe heritage centre;

post-21828-0-74505600-1433713862_thumb.jpg

Always a bonus to spot a legend!

Sorry it's late, but thanks for the tip Phil,

Pete

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, but if you get in touch with the builder of Halifax King Cross, Steve Hall, he may be able to help with info, plans etc for the "real" Halifax railways. I don't know how to contact him but he is easily found by google.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

I've just had a quick glance through your thread, and I'll definitely be following from now on.

You've made a brilliant job of all that retaining wall, the colouring is superb, and the whole layout oozes atmosphere.

I love the interior shots of the engine shed as well.

Cracking stuff.

Al.

Only just picked up this layout thread very impressive ..... it's amazing with some thought and planning what you can get into 3m x 2m room will be following with interest. 

Like your approach to improving the look of peco track by opening up the sleeper spacing, been a few layouts recently on here where this has been done and it does make a great visual improvement. 

I noticed in some of your pictures that you had used some track templates and was wondering as to where these are from .

Hi people,

Thanks very much for the comments, very kind of you all.

Gismorail- my original plan based on a rough estimate of the loft space in my new house was a little more ambitious. It is still my dream layout of an ex- LNER mainline somewhere out of Leeds Central crossed by a former LMS line and I think it was around 6 meters long. I'm very relieved I've started on something smaller, this layout is taking me long enough! But it is an important learning curve which will hopefully set me up well for the future. The track templates are 1:1 printouts from SCARM the layout design package. It is a simple to use program, and a little basic. The library of track, Peco finescale for me, was so useful. I will use something a bit more advanced in the future.  

Ben- Ais Gill looks spot on, lovely modelling. I am jealous of that lovely duchess! 

So I got my airbrush out for the second time ever today, and started by giving the track a general dusting of railmatch 'sleep grime' between the rails. It is very subtle and I may give a few more coats this week. I sprayed some modelmatch 'oily black' weathering dye at the areas were locos will stand:

post-21828-0-97144600-1438547915_thumb.jpg

I also tried to spray a little of the oil colour at the point tiebars.

post-21828-0-05991800-1438548068_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-92788100-1438548079_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-14800400-1438548092_thumb.jpg

I think i'll add some black to the sleepers on the outer edges of the rails for a little more tonal variation.

Whilst the airbrush was out I thought I'd start to weather some stock by spraying the under-frames with railmatch 'frame dirt'. I went at it very timidly but at least I've made a start!

post-21828-0-63985200-1438548483_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-75932000-1438548495_thumb.jpg

post-21828-0-58164600-1438548508_thumb.jpg

In fact you can't even tell I've started on the horse box: 

post-21828-0-90297000-1438548597_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon, thanks folks.

Pete

• Like 14

I must say that for a layout that doesn't even have a diesel in sight, I likeit, or a layout set in Yorkshire without a coal wagon anywhere it does just shout Yorkshire grime, and therefore even being outside my usual modelling period, I will be watching your progress. keep things coming.

I must say that for a layout that doesn't even have a diesel in sight, I likeit, or a layout set in Yorkshire without a coal wagon anywhere it does just shout Yorkshire grime, and therefore even being outside my usual modelling period, I will be watching your progress. keep things coming.

Wor 'e sed an' all :)