Updating older models. Mainline Mk1 Buffet/Restaurant.

5Bel

• RMweb Premium

The Mk2 etched frames are available, Mk1's not far behind and Laserglaze not far behind that if you can contain yourself.

Mike.

Mark 2 windows, link please

• RMweb Premium

Might have a few left at York, do call past.

Mike.

He was supposed to be letting me know as I have 4 Mark 2 ABC coaches waitng for frames.

Had to stop the stripping down as I was starting to get more in bits than whole.

My 2Cs only have toilet winows at the moment.

Hello 4sub - again

Have a look at these Replica spares - item RA34  Has any one used these?

Just before I bite the bullet and get some SE flush glazing, has anyone got photos of it fitted please? The attempts above are certainou excellent, but finding a cheap RU is not proving easy and I don't think I have it in me to cut custom ones neatly!

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/06/2021 at 14:26, Baby Deltic said:

Looks nice. I have a couple of the green RB's and was wondering, apart from S1717 what other ones got green livery. It looks like S1765 also got green judging by the new Hornby model.

I have a list of the greens somewhere if you are desperate. 

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2015 at 19:59, Silver Sidelines said:

Hello 4sub - again

Have a look at these Replica spares - item RA34  Has any one used these?

Regards

Ray

Brass sides on an existing item or Southern Pride MK1 Kit. 

On 20/06/2021 at 14:26, Baby Deltic said:

Looks nice. I have a couple of the green RB's and was wondering, apart from S1717 what other ones got green livery. It looks like S1765 also got green judging by the new Hornby model.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Brass sides on an existing item or Southern Pride MK1 Kit. 

Thanks Mate. 

I have found a coupe more numbers as I understand Hornby have also done S1757. The next question would be which had Commonwealth's and which had BR's.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Thanks Mate. 

I have found a coupe more numbers as I understand Hornby have also done S1757. The next question would be which had Commonwealth's and which had BR's.

Now that might be in Parkin is it? Have you got all the MK1 books? If you like I can check which trains they worked on circa 1961 I think it was. I have a WTT with specified coaches named/shown.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Now that might be in Parkin is it? Have you got all the MK1 books? If you like I can check which trains they worked on circa 1961 I think it was. I have a WTT with specified coaches named/shown.

I'll have a butcher's. I do have the Parkin books and some 1970's RCTS coaching stock listings which do give the numbers and bogie types, but the coaches would have been blue/grey by then.

I compared my Mainline RU Buffet Restaurant Unclassified (I think) with the new Hornby RB restaurant buffet car.  It stands up very well for a model that must be about 40 years old - and I paid £4.50 for it probably from Beatties.  That works out at about £25 now compared to £32 for the Hornby model.

Peterfgf

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2021 at 11:09, peterfgf said:

I compared my Mainline RU Buffet Restaurant Unclassified (I think) with the new Hornby RB restaurant buffet car.  It stands up very well for a model that must be about 40 years old - and I paid £4.50 for it probably from Beatties.  That works out at about £25 now compared to £32 for the Hornby model.

Peterfgf

Agreed. The only type that looks better (or should do) is a replacement Brass sided job from Southern Pride or Comet. However, the fine detail fittings (Grab and Door Handles) may look worse than having to tolerate the deep window frames, especially if I do it and there is, of course, the question of painting the damn thing.

P

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sprry to exhume this thread again.

I've got one but just need to get new roof vents (the round flat ones) as mine are missing. Maybe Replica might be able to supple them or I'll have to make a resin casting of the one I have. It's a shame Mainline went down as retooling their other mk1 coaches to this standard would have definitely made for an excellent train. As it is mine is going into my Airfix mk2 rake and will receive new couplings and metal wheels along with all the other coaches. Albeit once I've replaced those vents. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Sprry to exhume this thread again.

I've got one but just need to get new roof vents (the round flat ones) as mine are missing. Maybe Replica might be able to supple them or I'll have to make a resin casting of the one I have. It's a shame Mainline went down as retooling their other mk1 coaches to this standard would have definitely made for an excellent train. As it is mine is going into my Airfix mk2 rake and will receive new couplings and metal wheels along with all the other coaches. Albeit once I've replaced those vents. 

MJT are good Dart Castings web site

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Comet do catering car roof vents.

Mike.

Cheers. I've found something like the ones I need but I'll certainly check  out Comet. Either way I can't do it til next week anyway. Plus I need to dig the actual coach out of its hiding place too...