Kirkallanmuir

Caley Jim

I am really enjoying these pictures Jim we just don't see enough in the Mag for understandable reasons.

Don

Funny you should mention that Don - the next issue features a detailed account from Jim about his bridges. It should be out within a week, hopefully.

Anthony (your new 2mm magazine editor)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should mention that Don - the next issue features a detailed account from Jim about his bridges. It should be out within a week, hopefully.

Anthony (your new 2mm magazine editor)

Sounds good Anthony. I was not being critical of the mag as I appreciate space is not unlimited.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Jim.  It's nice to see colour photographs of your work (most in the mag over the years being in black and white).  

Out of interest I notice that the leading tarpaulin'd wagon has a representation of ropes - I have and will want several wagons with tarpaulins over them, and am interested to know what you've used for the ropes - I considered very fine wire (I have some 0.003" stainless steel wire that I thought might be useful if I could colour it (probably by chemical blackening)).

Ian

Hi Jim,

Read it now! Inspiring stuff and fully agree with the pervious comments about the more photos. Magazine arrived in today's post so I've that to look forward to as well. I better get a move on with mine, since I've claimed it will be able to run locos at The Gathering!

Weather looking good out here (at least south of Brisbane!) for the next month.

Cheers

Out of interest I notice that the leading tarpaulin'd wagon has a representation of ropes - I have and will want several wagons with tarpaulins over them, and am interested to know what you've used for the ropes - I considered very fine wire (I have some 0.003" stainless steel wire that I thought might be useful if I could colour it (probably by chemical blackening)).

Ian

I use fine sewing thread.  My wife has quite a selection of colours.  I think that one (which is a Graham Hughes GNoS open kit) was straw coloured thread, treated with some dilute brown acrylic colour to make it more 'rope' coloured.  This also helped to take the hairy look off the thread.  The thread is wrapped round the buffers and then secured with a spot of cyano.   On my CR wagons the tarps are tied down with pale blue thread as Caley ropes had a blue strand through them.

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

I use fine sewing thread.  My wife has quite a selection of colours.  I think that one (which is a Graham Hughes GNoS open kit) was straw coloured thread, treated with some dilute brown acrylic colour to make it more 'rope' coloured.  This also helped to take the hairy look off the thread.  The thread is wrapped round the buffers and then secured with a spot of cyano.   On my CR wagons the tarps are tied down with pale blue thread as Caley ropes had a blue strand through them.

So we have a thread about thread. Excellent :no:

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Caley blue ropes even?

Well; every day's a school day right enough! :-)

Caley blue ropes even?

Well; every day's a school day right enough! :-)

Caley sheets also had a blue cross quartering the sheet, not a diagonal one as has been quoted in some quarters.

Jim

• 4 months later...

After a long hiatus I thought it was time I did some more work on the layout, so I've built the water tank.  Details of its construction are in the workbench thread of this area.

watertank4.jpg.f078b7758c5609458eda14e80f340fdc.jpg

The tank itself is an etch as it the drain and the timber base is built up from styrene strip.

Two shots of it in situ with 391 about to top up.

2016-01-10-1527.jpg.fe878489da6af04abc79f439e1d61200.jpgwatertank5.jpg.3d2fbd97f55a6e8725a58b9be5292308.jpg

It has still to be fixed down and bedded in.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Add lost photos
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

As a new comer to 2mm FS I've got to say very nice work and very inspiring for me .

Lovely layout ,I'll be following and looking forward to your progress

Brian

Thank you, both Brian and Poggy.

Progress has been slow over the last couple of years due to a move of house and there is not likely to be much more for a wee while as I have received a sheet of test etches with a lot of items on it (see the OMWB thread) and they will need building first.   You get a lot on an A3 sheet in 2mm!

(Thinks - must deal with this addiction to wagons  :scratchhead: )

Jim

• Like 1

And the engine - what an amazing piece of kit.

The Caley had several classes of this type which they found useful for work on colliery lines with sharp curves.  It's thought that it was originally a Buddicombe design for a French railway the drawing for which was sent up to St Rollox by Crewe in the 1860's.

Jim

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another item on the trial sheet was etches for some cattle pens.  These are based on those in a photo of Peebles with dimensions from a drawing of a similar NER one.  The etches were designed as one to build a single pen and another to add as many further pens as required.  Kirkallanmuir will have three.

The parts for a single pan laid out round a printed plan.   The plan was stuck to card and holes drilled at the location of the posts to make a jig for assembly.

2016-02-14-1567.jpg.70825adc7be53d01903947c5593830c5.jpg

The single pen assembled.

singlecattlepenweb.jpg.4ae3c2c8df9383028f2dc11a39bda1e6.jpg

The three pens assembled.  They were removed from the jig and this then used as a template to drill holes for the posts in the livestock landing.

3cattlepens1.jpg.dcd9b18032cacf60c87aada9f7e422ba.jpg

The three pens in situ prior to painting.

2016-02-19-1571.jpg.539b6f268178b50f7c4a4aaaaf24fea1.jpg

Only a couple of 'foreign' cattle trucks (MR & GCR) available at present, but a couple of CR 1870 ones are under construction while the paint on the pens dries.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Add lost photos
  • Like 7

• 7 months later...