Kirkallanmuir

Caley Jim

For various reasons progress on the hotel building has been slow, but the basic shell is now made up.

913664689_Hotelbuild1.JPG.9c8a707dfb8ec8d1265e8c8647ce3271.JPG

I decided to give it a bit of extra character by putting raised stone surrounds to the windows, which is quite common on buildings around here.  It's not going to be in the same league as the York Road Station over on CF, but it will serve its purpose to fill the area at the end of the bridge.

The etched windows are assembled and painted and are about to be glazed.

Jim

• Like 6

The windows have now been glazed and fitted and the surround of the front door made up in styrene.

Despite the fact that the building will be at the back of the layout I decided to go to town a bit on this as I wanted to see what I could achieve and use later on some of the buildings which will be on the other side of the road from the goods yard.  The two pillar faces have 'fluting' down them and I've put the date on the lintel.  The numbers for the latter being cut from 5thou styrene.  Unfortunately what I have of both that and 10thou is probably over 50 years old and a bit brittle now.   The two '8's are the best out of four I made.

2041406084_Hotelbuild2.JPG.be67f81cfdbe09163271b59d3b2865a0.JPG

The surround is just sitting slotted into the opening at present, prior to painting it, and the front step will be partially set into the pavement.  i think I have discovered a mix of paint, CR wagon oxide + white, which is a close enough match to the quoins and window surrounds.

Work on the front door itself has started.

Jim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I just hope they don’t do that malarkey in your hotel, where to pull a pint you need three glasses and a plastic ruler, it used to drive me daft when I went to Scotland first.

(That big wood shed by Balloch Pier, heaving at the start of the fortnight, and the barmen were p*****g about doing that)

Edited by Northroader

6 hours ago, Northroader said:

I just hope they don’t do that malarkey in your hotel, where to pull a pint you need three glasses and a plastic ruler, it used to drive me daft when I went to Scotland first.

Never seen that done here, but then I drink proper beer, none of your mass produced dishwater!  :nono:

Which reminds me, I must order another mixed case as I'm down to the last two bottles.  :(

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2

Well, the colour mix I suggested worked out rather well and is quite a good match (to my eye at least), especially after it has had a dust over with white powder paint.

816533275_Hotelbuild3.JPG.3a311f5de6c8c77e0dae5286da74fcf0.JPG

I've tried to indicate a frosted pattern on the door glazing.

With the windows and door in place a black painted backing piece could then be fitted, which will also help to support the top of the roof.

722844131_Hotelbuild4.JPG.47ccc50f02ae2234ba3f3fb64a8ab9a0.JPG

A small section of the pavement had to be cut away to accommodate the front step and any gaps will be filled with thinned DAS forming the pavement surface once the building is completed.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Two steps forward and one back with the dormers.  The front and sides for the first attempt were cut from 10thou styrene, folded to shape and then the areas around the windows painted.  I then made up the angled glazing by using glue'n'glaze to fix 5 thou styrene frames to some clear celluloid and fix these behind the 5 thou.  Unfortunately when I came back to it, one wasn't quite straight and trying to remove it wrecked the rest. :unsure:

For the second attempt I kept the 10 thou flat (but scribed on the back for folding) then added all the glazing and frames.  This was much easier, though it was a fiddle adding all the little bits of 5 thou.

258119822_Dormerflat.JPG.7d04bc883cdc4a897b837469649ea109.JPG

The painting requires a second coat and I forgot to add the vertical astragals on the front.

It was then folded round a base and a rear wall fitted.

310311356_Dormerfolded.JPG.d41d6a82c1820aba4dda139eb52fd3fd.JPG

It could then be tried in place.

1562221890_Onedormer.JPG.15a1e7da0bb074e6b7722358c73eafc2.JPG

The main roof is just sitting in place so that it could be removed to adjust the holes for the dormers.  The lines across it are to help aligning the slate strips.

Now to make the other two dormers.  If I need any more for other buildings they will be etched as that will be easier to assemble.

Locally I can identify at least 5 different styles of dormer.  This style, which I would call 'bay gabled' similar but with a hipped roof, flat fronted gabled, flat hipped and a type where the front wall of the building is carried up to form the gable of the dormer, so plenty variety!

Jim

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I took a slightly different approach to making the other two dormers.  For the first one I had glued the 5thou strips forming the window framing to the glazing with Glue'n'glaze and then tried to bond that to the body of the dormer. this was not completely successful, I suspect due to a combination of the small surface area of contact between the two, stray Glue'n'glaze on the surface of the framing and stray paint on the inside surface of the dormer.  This time I scraped off any paint that had got on the inside surface, then attached the framing strips around the inside of the window openings before fitting the glazing.

801463835_2dormersflat.JPG.9d4c7a5eb6074ea7a9503abfdf22eb6e.JPG

The lower sash of the middle window has an extra layer of 10thou to set it back slightly.

This was not only easier, but has produced a better result.  Here the three dormers and roof just sitting in place.

1390138581_dormersinplace..JPG.6c29be64a3914afdb674a91ec1fb96c2.JPG

Other jobs done while waiting on glue/solvent/paint drying on the dormers include finishing off the roof of the adjacent building on the left (barge boards still to be painted) and fitting the tops to the chimneys.  The interiors of the dormers will be painted matt black before they and the roof are fixed in place.

Jim

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Having fixed the roof and the dormers in place and fitted the roofs to the latter,I couldn't help trying the building in place.

2081424194_Hotelbuild5.JPG.4436500f1dd499a03388fb7e1a0e4ad6.JPG

Quite pleased with the way it's turning out.   The arrival of the slaters is immanent.

The observant will note that the adjacent building has been finished off by painting the barge boards and fitting the downpipe.

Jim

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The slaters have done their work and the joiners have finished off the woodwork on the dormer gables, so just the downpipes and chimney pots to add.

570610930_Hotelbuild6.JPG.90dcf8290bc09db1ac4cb6a3c511054c.JPG

I thought about making fancy barge boards, but chickened out in the end, but the finials and the decorative bits below them (don't know what you call these) add a bit of character.  While te building I based this on has lost the finials at some point, the decorative bits are still there.

image.png.e1266755b2016eb43d876f5021195798.png

(screensnip from Google streetview)

Jim

• Like 16

Work has slowed again a bit due to spending daytimes lifting my fuchsias and geraniums and potting them up into the greenhouse before the forecast frost.

The downpipes and chimney pots have now been fitted, which basically completes the building.  I gave myself a wee bit of a challenge with the latter by deciding to make them octagonal with wider rims and bases.  Making all three uniform in size and shape was the main issue, but they look not too bad to my eye.

453525709_Hotelbuild7.JPG.fc83851d6cdf0cd28a504121747b7ca4.JPG

Next up will be to arrange a means of slotting it in place so that it can be removed for transport and surfacing the pavement and road in front of it.

Jim

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

@Caley Jim do you have any videos of the whole layout? I've seen so many MRJ-style close in shots that really show how wonderfully detailed it is, but I find it hard to see the overall context.

Hi William.  No, sorry.  I've never taken any videos, but there are some overall views, albeit from April 2018 on the Forth & Clyde group's blog

Also some at the end of this blog entry.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Edit to add second link.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Other things have delayed the fitting of the hotel onto the layout.  A couple of blocks of expanded polystyrene were glued the the lower part and these wedge it in place under the roadway.  The pavement was then surfaced with my usual watered down DAS coloured with powder paint, with the building protected with some cling film.  The road is surfaced with the same material.

1985845838_Hotelbuild8.JPG.2e51605a4af36b53daa8df974107d86e.JPG

On 28/09/2020 at 13:27, Lacathedrale said:

@Caley Jim do you have any videos of the whole layout? I've seen so many MRJ-style close in shots that really show how wonderfully detailed it is, but I find it hard to see the overall context.

Just for you, @Lacathedrale someone sent up a drone and produced this.  :)

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Other things have delayed the fitting of the hotel onto the layout.  A couple of blocks of expanded polystyrene were glued the the lower part and these wedge it in place under the roadway.  The pavement was then surfaced with my usual watered down DAS coloured with powder paint, with the building protected with some cling film.  The road is surfaced with the same material.

1985845838_Hotelbuild8.JPG.2e51605a4af36b53daa8df974107d86e.JPG

Just for you, @Lacathedrale someone sent up a drone and produced this.  :)

Jim

are you sure its not one of Jerry's fleet of photographic biplanes ? :jester:

Nick B

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

are you sure its not one of Jerry's fleet of photographic biplanes ? :jester:

Nick B

Considering the shaky camera work, it could well have been!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Jim. Don't know if you saw the programme about Scotland from the air on the BBC tonight but it was fascinating, including an interesting section on Aerofilms. It should be on the iPlayer in the next few days and well  worth  catching up with.

I've not put any of my little 1:144 biplane kits together yet but looking forward to giving them a go.

jerry