Kirkallanmuir

Caley Jim

As always, thanks for all the kind comments.

Paper mock up of the goods shed in situ with the embryonic loading bank in the background.  The side walls for this are currently waiting on the solvent laminating the stone surface layer hardening.

898777150_goodsyard9.JPG.73510088b9158112d5c60a1ad9c29cea.JPG

The roof of the goods shed will extend over the whole of this side to form a canopy over the doors.

Jim

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

More progress on the loading bank.  The walls have all been made up and fitted in place around the foamboard infill.  The sloping sections are card from the usual source.

1036631058_goodsyard11JPG.JPG.6325723d2f1a4dc886c70b543715b0b1.JPG 

1468938346_goodsyard10JPG.JPG.7d5479a41bca625cd9bcfb72f6b48a5b.JPG

Painting the walls is next followed by covering the surface with softened DAS.

Jim

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, richard i said:

Different height docks, not seen that modeled before.

makes sense though.

This was very common, in fact almost universal, in Scotland, particularly in country areas.  It allowed the loading of bulk loads, such as stone, spoil,  turnips or potatoes by tipping them straight out of a farm cart into open wagons.

This scan from a photo in British Railway Journal No.41 (spring 1992) shows it.  This part of the goods yard is loosely based on the  arrangement at Blairgowrie.

Scan_20210508.jpg.deeca18fc4a0c9fad47c13d4c4652709.jpg

Jim

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the last part of Kirkallanmuir still in raw plywood?

You are correct, @MinerChris, though there will still be 'raw plywood' behind the backscene!:D

1 hour ago, MinerChris said:

On an more serious note, where are you going to get your modelling card from in the future?

I have a small stash laid by for future use, should I have a need for it!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

On 07/05/2021 at 23:25, Caley Jim said:

1468938346_goodsyard10JPG.JPG.7d5479a41bca625cd9bcfb72f6b48a5b.JPG

Hi Jim,

Was the end dock the part of the arrangement at Blairgowrie? I can't but help feeling sorry for anyone trying to load a cart onto a flat wagon with it trying to run downhill from the higher level ramp.

Kind Regards,

Chris.

4 hours ago, MinerChris said:

Was the end dock the part of the arrangement at Blairgowrie? I can't but help feeling sorry for anyone trying to load a cart onto a flat wagon with it trying to run downhill from the higher level ramp.

Yes it was, as you can see from the top corner of this map.

image.png.25d5d95126f93921b4a31613a5b96151.png

(Unfortunately the station falls across the join between two sheets.)

I would imagine there would be a horse or two around to help in the operation in pre-motor vehicle days.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Typo
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The last couple of weeks have been spent drawing up some more buildings for the goods yard and making paper mock-ups of them.

Apart from the goods shed itself and a weighbridge office, I had no real idea of what this are would look like, other than having a collection of huts and perhaps a stable block.

I started by drawing up two huts based on a photo I have of a couple of brick built ones.  I cannot recall who gave me the photo or where it is.

huts.jpg.f13cbc84b435f9a12f8f9a59ec55c652.jpg

Some brick counting and estimation produced a reasonable likeness.  The further one, with the long window will serve as the weighbridge office and the other as a coal merchants.

55305351_goodsyard14.JPG.369c46220c35ec4460b2f6213bda6744.JPG

Beside the goods shed is a store from Beattock which I found in a photocopy of part of an article in Modellers Backtrack.  It appears to have been built of vertical sleepers with strapping on the joints.   Between it and the weighbridge office is a stable block which I confess is a complete figment of my imagination, but i think looks reasonable and will fit the bill until I find something better.  It has an open cart shed at the left hand end, two stables in the middle and an office at the right.  The latter needs a chimney.  A hay loft occupies the roof space with a door for loading in the hay.

I puzzled whether I would have enough room for a typical scotch derrick crane of the type which was so common in goods yard and in the foreground is a mock-up of that which I think I can just fit in without compromising the coal siding too much.  I have a model of one on Connerburn which is attached by screws, so can be taken off to see service here.

The parts for the goods shed and the two small huts have been drawn out ready to be printed and the necessary artwork for the etches for windows and doors etc. is in the process of being created.

Jim

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the hiatus, but, as readers of another thread will know, I have been slightly diverted onto another project and have been preparing artwork for that to put on the sheet along with the windows and doors etc. for these buildings.

With that off to the etchers (delivery expected around the middle of next month) work has started on the goods shed with the walls now almost ready for assembly.

471789655_Goodsshed01.JPG.7f9f3b0651e0fcbc3421675104a4a2c0.JPG

There is a 40thou backing piece with the stone base laminated on, topped by a strip of 40x40thou, with the top front edge chamfered, for the cap stones.  The horizontally planked timber walls are scribed 20thou.  I thought I was out of 20thou, but found a sheet of 'concrete' coloured stuff I must have thought would be handy to have when I bought it dear knows when!  These surface layers are mitred at the corners and the rafters (cut from single pieces of 40thou) sit in slots in the 40thou layers.  Unfortunately the rear wall post has broken off the right hand end, but I should be able to fit it onto the end of the rear wall without the joint on the end wall being too obvious.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not quite on the same scale as Tim's for CF, but the goods shed is starting to take shape.

1922850427_Goodsshed02.JPG.a58d897d13887acf3164a71bbac75d8d.JPG

361886847_Goodsshed03.JPG.6be3206c88f8072631dc7aac4cc813fd.JPG

I found I had made the back wall of the office 1mm too short, ☹️so had to put in a filler strip, but that will be hidden behind the shed door, so no-one will know it's there!  😏

I can't fit the roof sections until i get the window and door etches back, but I can get on with painting the stonework and timber walls.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Jim ,can you still cut a straight line after a few of those wee drams ?

Aye, nae bother wi'a guid steel rule. It's following a curved line that's the problem! :wacko:

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Predictive text (again!)
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Having put together the other etches which were on the sheet (of which there will more on another thread, no doubt) I've got back to the goods shed.  The walls and interior have now been painted and the windows of the office are ready to be fitted.

1638592995_Goodsshed04.JPG.db19f268a80cd10115cd6369f5a177fc.JPG

I've also still to make the crane to go inside as it will be visible through the end and side doors.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

A very rudimentary rendition of a crane has been fitted.  It will only be glimpsed through one end and one side door, and that only from certain angles, so I didn't feel the need to make it very detailed.

2039922936_Goodsshed05crane.JPG.789433116ab8a5df4414cc5957dac108.JPG

The roof panels are all cut, so they will be fitted next.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Hi Jim , If im right in thinking they were very primative very basic indeed until they invented the steam or diesel powered cranes.

Otherwise it was all brute force. Yes its all coming together now and it looks GRAND.

Regards Ray.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Jim , If im right in thinking they were very primative very basic indeed until they invented the steam or diesel powered cranes.

Otherwise it was all brute force. Yes its all coming together now and it looks GRAND.

Thanks, Ray.

Yes, the (vary basic) drawing I have of one of these cranes shows a vertical pillar between the loading floor and a rafter with a fixed jib at 13ft radius. the winding gear appears to be handles at the bottom winding a cable to a large wheel above with the chain (rope?) to the hook coming off a smaller drum on the same axle.

Jim

• Agree 1