Kirkallanmuir

Caley Jim

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

(last weekend theoretically spent in charge of two grandchildren and their cats, but I'm not sure it worked out that way!)

One infers that the grandchildren were in charge of you while the cats looked  after themselves, looking on superciliously.

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

partly because i am still having problems getting Limonene to bond styrene securely.  Some joints have seemed fine after being left for 10-12 hours, only to fall apart later on.

It seems to vary with the grade of styrene. I'd still use Mek-Pak for but corner joints and the like.

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One infers that the grandchildren were in charge of you while the cats looked  after themselves, looking on superciliously.

That about sums it up.  To a dog you're the master, to a cat, you're staff (and pretty lowly staff at that)!

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It seems to vary with the grade of styrene. I'd still use Mek-Pak for but corner joints and the like.

It seemed that the only way i could get a good joint was to apply a generous amount of limonene to both surfaces, wait 30 seconds or so, apply more to one surface, press them firmly together and then hold them together with clamps or Al hairclips, but the latter is not always practical - such as when you're attaching a sloping roof.  Fortunately I don't see me doing much more styrene work in the near future, but I'll definitely be acquiring some other solvent next time I can get to a show.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

That about sums it up.  To a dog you're the master, to a cat, you're staff (and pretty lowly staff at that)!

"A dog looks up to you, a cat looks down on you, and a pig looks you straight in the eye."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I always thought a dog had masters cats had slaves!  I blame the Egyptians who thought cats were gods - obviously the cats believed them!!!

That about sums up my granddaughters take on them:

Dog thinks: "They give me a home, feed and water me, interact with me and give me toys to play with.  They must be Gods!"

Cat thinks: "They give me a home, feed and water me, interact with me and give me toys to play with.  I must be a God!"

Jim

• Like 1

Th store is now finished and mounted on a card base, as is the weighbridge plate.

103937973_goodsyard23.JPG.975cd7030fbbfc1c8566527f7aad098b.JPG

These buildings will now get fixed down and the ground surface of the goods yard laid.

Jim.

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

Hi JIM , the back scene is either a new way of testing your colours or you ar trying to develop a new tartan.

The station buildings are looking good now for all those cobles to lay in between for the yard or will it be a gravel surface.

Keep up the good work all the best regads .Ray

Thanks both. The 'backscene' is a throw hanging over a fold down bed in the corner of my study!

The area in front of the stables,  around the weighbridge and from there through the gate to the road will be cobbled. Also perhaps bit alongside the coal siding, depending on how soon I get fed up with marking out cobbles! 

Jim

• Agree 1

Hi Jim, we wont mention cobles as it might leed toother expresions being used like pigs can fly or was it look you in the eye?

Yes it would look quite good to see some cobles in that area .If you can lay them ( without  you going mad).

Nice to hear Richard @fenwick is back on line .Regards Ray.

7 hours ago, Trewisin said:

If you can lay them ( without  you going mad).

My technique for doing them is to let the DAS slurry surface dry, then moisten it slightly and indent the cobbles one-by-one with a little tool I made from some scrap etch surround.  The beauty of this is that you can do as much or as little at a time as you feel like and come back and do more later.

I've decided that it would be a good idea to put in the boundary wall behind the buildings before fixing them down as there won't be much space between them and the wall.

Jim

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, richard i said:

The overviews show just how well this is coming along. Just some grass on the front bank and we could convince ourselves it is almost finished, though we all know a layout is never done.

great work.

Thanks, Richard.  The area at the front of the layout will have a bit more than just grass on it.  The plan is to have a church and churchyard there (along with fields and trees).

6 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I think that your crane looks fine, if a little small.

Photos I have indicate that there were two sizes of these Scotch Derrick cranes in goods yards.  The mock up is of the smaller version.  I plan relocate the model I made of that for Connerburn.

4 hours ago, mike morley said:

My only thought with the crane is that it looks a little cramped where it is.  Move it towards the stop blocks by, say, a wagons length?

That's my own feeling, Mike.  Moving it nearer the stop block will also ease access to the rest of the coal siding.

Once again, thanks for all the kind reactions.  Back to 'cobbling'!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi JIm, nice to see that you are still sane all those cobbles , Its looking good. Just been to my first exhibition for the past 2 years after cancellations due to COVID. I paid a visit on Sunday to Uckfield,  mainly to see Ian Smiths layout Modbury.I didnt realise that 

John Greenwood was also there with Wadebridge and Padstow. So that was a double for me.both are excellent layouts.

keep up thegood work. Regards Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The crane of Connerburn has been relocated and placed a bit nearer the buffers.  It suffered a wee bit damage when taking it off the other layout  The 'chain' to which the hook is attached to stop it (on the prototype) swinging about got broken, so I had to make a new one, which took several attempts, including the obligatory one for the carpet monster.

1164923491_goodsyard28.JPG.e9b0763a27a4df914897088782a65a73.JPG

676033540_goodsyard29.JPG.4be72bd39d83b6953d285acb88d6c9e9.JPG

1087479931_goodsyard30.JPG.da4d955966f5e01a1f3f649affe88d6b.JPG

The GER fruit van ( a David Eveleigh kit) was used to check that the footboards cleared the crane handle.

As you can see from the middle photo above, the cobbled areas have had a wash of darker grey over them.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

47 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What's that dual-fitted varnished teak van?

As I said in the post, it's a GER fruit van from a David Everleigh etched kit in 2mm. He did 4 GER NPCS vehicles, fruit van, yeast van, horsebox and passenger train cattle van. I built one of each. It happened to be the vehicle with footboards which was handiest for me to lift off the layout and bring through to check clearance with the crane. 

Jim

• Thanks 1