Kirkallanmuir

Caley Jim

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

As I said in the post, it's a GER fruit van from a David Everleigh etched kit in 2mm. He did 4 GER NPCS vehicles, fruit van, yeast van, horsebox and passenger train cattle van. I built one of each. It happened to be the vehicle with footboards which was handiest for me to lift off the layout and bring through to check clearance with the crane. 

Apologies. I should read to the end rather than just looking at the pictures...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Apologies. I should read to the end rather than just looking at the pictures...

Could set a dangerous precedent doing that, as hardly anyone else does.

(Ditto for reading through the thread before replying, as someone may have already said it.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Hi Jim, I do read the previous remarks as it keeps me in the pictue of what has been done. I can see you hane finished the cobbles now and you have moved tha Crane , what are your plans for the vast area in front of the offices and othe buildings ?

keep up the good work and story line .Regards Ray.

6 hours ago, Trewisin said:

....... what are your plans for the vast area in front of the offices and othe buildings ?

keep up the good work and story line.

Thanks for the encouraging comments, Ray (and others).  I have no real plans for that area, other than perhaps a few figures and a horse drawn lorry.  The (fictional) history is that this was the site of the original terminal station before the line was extended through to join up with the Climpy extension of the Wilsontown branch and was both the goods and passenger station (see the very first post in this thread).  When it became a through line the station was moved to it's present site.   It has recently occurred to me that I could extend the siding the crane is on by a few inches into this area, thus giving a bit more capacity, however that is not on the immediate horizon.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim , that sounds like a good idea ( I wonder if Tim Bell of Architecure of the railways built knows anything about this line as he did an article the other week on another Scotish station which has been put back into use, for a  another good use as an information centre.)

A program that i find interesting with some very useful tips.

Keep up the good work regards Ray.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Hi Ray.  Note that this layout is purely fictional! there is no such lace as Kirkallanmuir (other than in my imagination)!

It is so plausibly realised that it has reached the point where it must have existed...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Compound2632.    Having lived around the area in which it is imagined to be all my life I suppose I have 'absorbed' the atmosphere.    I have tried to incorporate typical features and copied and/or based things on various places without having anything too quirky or unique.   I'm pleased that the approach seems to be working.  The kind comments are much appreciated and encouraging.

Jim

• Like 1

The real kudos comes when you exhibit the layout in the general vicinity of where it is fictionally located and the punters come up to you reminiscing about how well they remember it and what a shame it is that Beeching closed it.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

In the early 2000's I was exhibiting my previous layout, Connerburn, at a local exhibition.  There was a lull when there were no punters watching, I only had some freight stock on view in the yard and was preparing the next train to bring 'on scene' when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a very knowledgeable member of the CRA who was old enough to remember the immediate post-grouping period.   He stood looking in silence for a few moments, then nodded his head slowly and said, 'Pure Caley, pure Caley!'.

I thanked him for the compliment, but mentally I was punching the air and thinking 'yyyeesss!!'

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not much to report in the last few days, I've been playing around in CAD with some ideas for fitting motor and decoder + stay-alive in tenders.

A buffer beam as been added to the end loading dock:

As with the end loading dock over at the warehouse, I had to fit a little magnet underneath so that it pulled down the AJ coupling to stop it hitting the beam.

516115687_goodsyard31.JPG.7ae10d2ba65f1d3732eb093fe732ea8d.JPG

The yard gates have been hung on the pillars.

1078098862_goodsyard32.JPG.1d41b3a7052846ea1f1045be0d4d8c71.JPG

I must smooth off that ground between the weighbridge office and the wall!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Reload photos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Are those gates upside down?

Or do they put the diagonals on backwards in Kirkallanmuir-land?

Also, the /\ tops to the vertical palings appear to be on the underside.

• Like 1

OOps, you're right !  I've hung them the wrong way up!  Doh!  😭  Well ' that's tonight's job decided!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
replace emoticon
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Lest anyone should think that the layout has been abandoned, I thought I'd better post something.  Nothing has been added since the above, as I have been working on some etches for a couple of locos as hinted at.  These are now in service.  A 'Crewe type 2-4-0, originally built by Connor for fast goods traffic, but modelled as rebuilt by Drummond for secondary passenger work.  Details of the build here .

336350479_completedfront.JPG.ebc193b7971b4b4d23bccb85e8b9e73c.JPG

That was followed by another 'Jumbo', this one, No. 337, from a batch built by Lambie in 1894.  It's construction is along the same lines as No. 426.

185861858_22completedfrontLHS.JPG.710834270cca69d37cf5a03131ab1c41.JPG

The differences between it and the original design can be seen in this photo.

243428868_25twoJumbos.JPG.49ace24a345177aa9bdd8a9b384c2010.JPG

Work has now started on another trial etch, this time for the floor, chassis and bogies for a 65ft coach for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Direct service, described here.

Jim

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

Shocked to find it's over a year since I posted anything here, but truth is my time ahs been taken up with other projects.    Some for other people and our group layout, but also the three 65ft coaches and now a loco to haul them.

Just wanted to wish all those who have been so supportive and made so many appreciative comments over the years a Very Merry Christmas.  I know you'll all be on Santa's Good List!

Jim

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Shocked to find it's over a year since I posted anything here, but truth is my time ahs been taken up with other projects.    Some for other people and our group layout, but also the three 65ft coaches and now a loco to haul them.

Just wanted to wish all those who have been so supportive and made so many appreciative comments over the years a Very Merry Christmas.  I know you'll all be on Santa's Good List!

Jim

…. and a very merry Christmas to you as well Jim.

Im one of the lucky ones who has taken up some of your time this year, the windows you did for Bath S&D shed are superb although Kim said the shed is too big for me to work on over Christmas at my little card table bench in the front room so it will have to wait until the new year!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The morning mixed has just headed back to Hallatrow leaving an SDJR roadvan opposite the goods store at Tucking Mill. Once Seth has finished his  tea break he’ll be along with the boy to load the van with several barrels of best cider currently safely under lock and key. The cider is destined for Kirkallanmuir as a thank you to the local workers who did such a superb job of fabricating the cast iron window frames for the engine shed up at the big station. The local scrumpy will be very well received in Scotland and should arrive in a few days time - although it may be a couple of pints light by the time it leaves North Somerset…..!

Jerry

IMG_0771.jpeg.9dc53ee8804b3771d2aef6d9eafc0e5a.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Ah! That explains the intriguing email I received earlier this morning! Very kind of you Jerry. 

Jim 

My pleasure Jim, the windows for the shed at the big station have been painted - hopefully more progress soon over on the Bath thread.

Im afraid the apple nectar is in 1:152 size barrels (not easy through the post!) but then so is the van!😊

Jerry

IMG_0777.jpeg.6ef748e186290f58ba6dfa9e79dedfa5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1