RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre - 26th July 2015

Castle

Hi All,

It's back! I have again agreed with our centre manager and Andy Y that we could have another day to meet at Didcot to have another one of my traditional 'access all areas' tours of our site. I have entertained people of all ages on these tours so it is open to my fellow RMWEB members of all ages!

The date decided upon was Sunday 26th July 2014. Locomotives could include, Railcar No. 22, Railmotor No. 93, pannier No. 3650 or large Prairie No. 4144, which should be fresh from overhaul and nicely run in by then (the replacement front end steam pipes are being picked up next week and the paint is going on as weather temperatures permit...). I will update the loco roster as we know what is happening on site!

Progress on our project locomotives including Saint No. 2999 Lady of Legend, County No. 1014 County of Glamorgan, Churchward Saddle Tank No. 1363 and of course, my personal favourite, Castle No. 4079 Pendennis Castle will be there to inspect as will the impressive output of the Carriage and wagon department. Amongst others, the rebuild of 1902 4-wheeler Dean 1st / 2nd composite coach to Dia. U is looking amazing in skeletal form and the the long awaited refit of the interior of 1932 Collett Super Saloon No. 9113 Prince of Wales to Dia. G61 is also underway.

There are many upgrades to the infrastructure of the railway centre at the moment too and progress on building the new 'Controlling the Trains' exhibit building, in conjunction with the Swindon Panel Society is underway as are a number of upgrades to the Railmotor shed. The Ex Wantage Road bus garage is largely complete now and awaits fitting out.

As before, I will do a proper modellers tour where I will take you behind the scenes and enable you to look in all the workshops and stored collections of vehicles. If there is anything that you specifically want to see, measure, look at, go inside of or crawl over then let me know and we will see what we can do. The only obvious restrictions would be on any stock or items on the running lines of course - squashed patrons don't go down well with management... However, if you don't mind waiting until after the trains are put back in the box for that vital item that needs measuring I am sure that something can be arranged. It's been done before!

As per last time, the signalling box key will find its way into my pocket so there will be an opportunity to go and have a look at the box and the incredible level of authentic restoration achieved with this building. I will also steal a carriage key from somewhere so we can inspect the interior of some of the vehicles not normally accessible to visitors.

The plan would be to get yourselves to Didcot and take any rides in the morning and I will take an early lunch and start the tour at 12:30hrs, meeting you at the entrance kiosk at the top end of the site. I would like to put a cap on the group size of 50 as any more than that and it gets a bit confined in the various works. I will rope in my fellow GWS tour guides again too!

So then, who wants another look in the best GWR toy box in the world?

All the best,

Castle

• Like 10

Hi All,

So that's a trio for KGV, a duo for Ian and a possible solo effort (?) for the Fatadder!

All the best,

Castle

PS: another 2 spots taken via PM...

Edited by Castle

A thoroughly excellent day out thanks to Castle; it's even recommended if you're not a brass and copper fan![/quote

Thanks Andy!

It's true - you don't have to love brass and copper covered green locos to come along! We even have a few little diesels on site...

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

I shall put down Russ and Bob for a place each! Plenty of space as of yet!

Mike - I kind of figured you were coming anyway! I think you and the family pretty much count as a guides on this trip now so we will expect to see you and Stationmaster Jr. Thanks for offering again good sir!

I will count just Russ and Bob towards the total.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Drew

I missed last year [my fault entirely] but I'd like to take up your offer of a couple of places for a copper and green nut and myself.

Thoroughly recommend the behind the scenes guide hence my urgency in seeking a couple of places.

Thanks in advance

Doug

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite fitting into the category Andy Y describes as "not a brass and copper fan", I'd be interested in a decent tour round!  Given it's within walking distance I ought to visit more regularly than I do!

Just the one place for me please...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having been to last years event, I would thoroughly recommend the day to all RMwebbers (regardless of whether they are a supporter of the Chocolate, Cream and Green team).

If there are spare places going then I would be interested - BUT of course I accept that priority should go to those who have not been before.

After being a lurking viewer of the tour thread last year, I think I would regret it if I didn't at least try to move heaven and earth to get down to Oxfordshire from Yorkshire.

Could you put me down as a provisional 1 please? I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

CoY 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going to be on my own again I think, though I must take wife and daughter to didcot some other time...

Looking forward to taking a fully charged camera into the carriage shed, and getting up close to the Aero prop wagon with a tape measure, with its Filton branding, it's just too tempting

• Like 1

Hi All,

Alan B and 3rd Rail Exile (don't know how I missed you last post - sorry!), a place each is yours!

One for County of Yorkshire (should you be 1030?) and the one for you as arranged mr Fatadder!

By the way, the Aero wagon is a bit of a fake... It is the removable tank wagon chassis from the steam crane which was lightly modified for the wartime event we had a little while back!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle