RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre - 26th July 2015

Castle

Hi All,

Graham: no problem - see you there! The cost are for a normal Didcot steam day, there is no additional charge for the tour as is done by RMWEB members for RMWEB members.

Ali: Sorry to hear that ! Put yourself down on the 2016 tour by all means!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle,

I've noticed that you've had a few drop-outs* recently.

Is there room for 1 more (drop-in!) at this late notice?

Cheers, Jeff

*no offence intended.

P.S. maybe I can move my membership situation on as well.

I would love to have a look around Frome Mineral Junction Signal Cabin. I am planning to model this for my new station. A look inside Radstock box would also be nice. I used to be a member of the Bristol branch of the GWS and I had a small part in prepairing Radstock box for its removeal from Radstock.

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stewart,

Radstock box is on the list as Stationmaster will be giving his annual talk on the intricacies of GWR signalling! Frome is a little more problematic as it is only accessible via a running line and as the running line is in use, I can't take visitors there. Maybe after the branch line stops operating, but you will have to wait until after the tour if that is ok? I will see what I can do on that front but I can't promise anything at this stage.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Drew

I read on this mornings BBC text service a garage and a pub are under development in Didcot, would this be Julian's garage and the pub opposite the station ??? our plan was to park in Julian's and get breakfast in the pub. :O  

The car park was still there, and in use, last Saturday Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Castle

Sadly it's looks like I've drawn the domestic card on Sunday. Would have appreciated a look inside the signal box and at progress on the County.... :(  Never mind, next time maybe. Perhaps Pendennis will be in steam by then!

Cheers and hope it  goes well, Trevor.

• RMweb Gold

one specific I would like to measure if possible is the sliding vents on the centenary, I'm still undecided if I will convert airfix ones into the missing versions or use comet kits, and if I go the former I'm going to need to add the vents...

Also planning to take some measurements of the Filton aero wagon, which one day I would like to scratch build...

One silly question (that I'm sure has been mentioned before), what time are we meeting tomorrow? I want to make sure I get there early enough for a ride before the tour this year!

Hi All,

The centenary measurements are easily made Rich - no worries! Remember that our aero wagon is actually the removable water tank wagon for the 50 ton crane with a bit of creative carpentry on top!

12:30hrs is fine although I will get to the entrance at 12:00hrs so everyone can meet up and say hello. The signal box will be free just after 12:00hrs so we will need to step on it to get that bit done first before No. 93 resumes services on the branch.

All the best,

Castle

one specific I would like to measure if possible is the sliding vents on the centenary, I'm still undecided if I will convert airfix ones into the missing versions or use comet kits, and if I go the former I'm going to need to add the vents...

Step ladder duly positioned.

Also planning to take some measurements of the Filton aero wagon, which one day I would like to scratch build...

As has already been mentioned, this is a bit of a flight of fancy as B749039 was never an Aero. It's had quite a history though...

Built 1951 & served the Bass Brewery system:

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=4777

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=5103

By the early 60s it was being used for glue traffic from Cambridge to Inverness, probably from ARL at Duxford:

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/userfiles/image/Features/freight_onlY-6-B749039.jpg

(More on these tanks here).

It finally ended up at Haymarket attached to the breakdown crane.

There's a heck of a lot of paint on the tank itself, so I'm hopeful that it'll respond to some excavation & can one day carry an appropriate livery.

Pete.

A big thank you to Castle for a fantastic tour today. Always nice to see the work behind the scene and hear stories from the experts. And thank you to the very knowledgeable Mr Station Master for his talk on the signal box. It's all given me far too many bad modelling thoughts ;)

• RMweb Gold

Heartily agree Drew - yet another excellent day and a lot of extra info on boilers from Alli this year as well.  Always impressive that we do more or less exactly the same tour every year but it's different every time which always adds to the interest, many thanks to you and your team of helpers.

• Like 1

Drew

Many thanks for organising the open day today. Another great day out and very useful from my personal perspective. I've thanked Pete for the personal tour, as it turned out, of 9002. What a cracker of a coach and restored to such exemplary standards.  

Can you thank the boiler lads for turning out on their day off and explaining some of the technical background to their work, very interesting.

Well done and see you in a couple of years god forgiving!!

Best Wishes

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Really good day, shame the weather was a bit damp but it was much better than elsewhere in the country thank goodness.

I really enjoyed the day and it was good to see the parts other visits don't reach. Very informative talks from all concerned which always adds to the interest.

A very big thanks to all concerned.

I'd like to add my thanks too.  The exposition of some of the methods employed to restore coaches was very interesting!  I welcomed the opportunity to grab some photos of important details on rolling stock even though it will mean more work when I come to built the kits in question.

I don't know if there were group introductions but if there were I missed them 'cos I was in the loo!

Chris