RMWEB Tour of Didcot Railway Centre - 26th July 2015

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Drew, an amazing day, thank you so much. It was my nephew that got covered and he had such a great time. His mother's face when he showed her the coal, clinker and ballast was a picture :) She hasn't seen the rag yet either.....

I agree about the 72xx.. I fancy one too.. It was also great seeing the real thing of kits I haven't finished, Mink, Python and Bloater all need doing.

I also very nearly clicked the pre-order button for the DJ Models Railmotor having been on it today.. 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 2

Drew, thanks again for an enjoyable and informative tour,

Thanks also to Alli, Laura (who did a good impression of

trying to herd cats) and all the others who helped (whose

names I don't know, sorry), not forgetting Mike's useful and

informative signal box tour.

It was great seeing the progress made over the years, (my

first visit was about 45 years ago!) and also 'meeting' many

old friends (BPC, 1466, Burton Agnes, Shannon/Jane and

'the Bathtub')

Chris, I also missed the intro's, due to that bad combo (M25

and rain!), but at least I can add a few more faces to forum 

names now, thanks guys.

Cheers, Jeff

Edited by jcm@gwr

Hi All,

I'm glad everyone had a great day - it was a pleasure showing you all round the greatest GWR train set in the world! Thanks to everyone who braved the wet and enjoyed themselves. It is always a real pleasure for me, Leigh, Laura, Pete and Ali to show round a group of people who are as interested and passionate about our hobby as you all were. That's all folks for the 2015 Tour - we look forward to the 2016 one!

One last request - show us your pictures people!

All the best,

Castle

PS: A big thank you has to go to our signal box tour guide extrodinaire too - thanks Mike!

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

Will this do to start with?

post-8285-0-95284600-1437944250_thumb.jpg

Thanks for a great tour. An informative day out (thanks to Mr Station Master for his signal box talk). I particularly enjoyed seeing the Dean carriage that had done duty as a bungalow - it reminded me of when my dad bought a car from a bloke who lived in two grounded Midland Railway carriages!

• Like 11

Here a a couple of my snaps and a big Thank-you to all your helpers and volunteers for making it such a splendid and informative day. 

It was especially nice to see 4144 running when last year it was still in the shops.  You should be proud of the work you accomplish.post-19974-0-70338100-1437948335_thumb.jpgpost-19974-0-74700600-1437948354_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Sounds like it was a great day, can't wait for Dad (SRrich) to fly home on wednesday and show me all the pictures he took today. Just talking with him on the phone this evening got me rather jealous, so hopefully I'll have the funds for flights etc to make it for next years tour. :)

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Here is the second batch of photographs from the RMWeb Tour of the Didcot Railway Centre on 26th July 2015.

These are of various steam locomotives in and around the shed that caught my eye.

I'll post a third batch later - work permitting.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The final batch of photographs from the RMWeb Tour of the Didcot Railway Centre on 26th July 2015.

These are from the Locomotive Workshops - the explanation of the boiler work undertaken there was very interesting - and other assorted locomotives, rolling stock and bits and pieces around the site.

Locomotive Workshop

Just a final note for other RMWebber who haven't attended one of these previously at the Didcot Railway Centre - I can thoroughly recommend going if you get the opportunity some time in the future.  And that is said from a dyed-in-the-wool LSWR, SR, BR(S) and all things Southern enthusiast.

• Like 16

Hi all,

Just wanted to echo what others have said here, thanks for a superb day.  It was inspirational to meet everyone and hear their enthusiasm and knowledge.  Thanks also to Leigh, Laura and Ali for showing me around some of the machinery in the works and also explaining a few things!  I got some invaluable photographs towards making the machine shop for Oswestry Works (at some unknown time in the distant future!).  Here are a couple of my pics

20045629162_6b76e7605a_c.jpg

20053493455_4ea3d395bb_c.jpg

20045637002_da753fe9ef_c.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Here's the links to my photos from yesterday,

Not much artistic value, but hopefully useful to someone modelling a Manor or a Centenary...

Cookham Manor, lots of strange angles and photos of detail bits to assist in locating castings on a Mitchell kit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3699-cookham-manor/

Centenary First, detail photos of the window vents (i am half thinking about an etching to get the proper overlay look proud of the windows) also interior photos showing the post war refit. I dont envy the Didcot guys when they start restoring it!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3700-centenary-detail-photos/

GWR coach details, with interior shots from the sunshine stock on the demo line, auto coach, Syphon along with other bits and pieces.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3701-gwr-coach-detail/

Just found the wagon details didnt upload properly, so will redo that tomorrow along with the coach and wagon photos from last years tour.

• Like 2

GWR coach details, with interior shots from the sunshine stock on the demo line, auto coach, Syphon along with other bits and pieces.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3701-gwr-coach-detail/

Couple of points... The door stop on the unidentified coach is on Brake Compo 7371, and the pic of the trailer labelled 'Autocoach bell mechanism' actually shows the PCA box & rodding that links the Communication Chain to the butterflies & the brake system.

The gong mechanism on a trailer is just an overgrown bicycle bell:—

Shed%20010a_zpsxlgfzkir.jpg

Pete

• Like 6

Hi Rich,

Depends which one you mean!

No. 92 - the Churchward era one is a Diagram U, No. 190, the Collett era one is Diagram A.30 and the Hawkswoth era No. 231 is A.38. Further information and pictures of the collection is to be found here:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/map.html

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

What date are the seat coverings from?

Another caption update to correct this evening...

1937 or thereabouts if memory serves. We refer to it as 'Fan' pattern.

P.

Just finally got a chance to upload my pics and take stock of what was a fantastic exploration of 81E last Sunday! Want to again thank Drew (Castle) for a great day out, as well as thanks to Carriage Shed Pete (K14) for the personal tour of the carriage shed (inclusive of the wrecks - that Dreadnaught is still something, even though she is down to the frame timbers and few still extant steam-heat pipes!), and Drew's tour helpers, Ali and the other Pete! A selection of images now...

Under a moody sky, recently overhauled 4144 brings in the mixed freight on the main demonstration line. 

post-18813-0-06870200-1438202286.jpg

4144 started the day at the head of a mixed freight, including the esoteric Filton Aero wagon...

post-18813-0-48393100-1438202321.jpg

Stepping foot into what is for me a cult vehicle - the sole surviving Centenary coach, Kitchen Diner First 9635. Thanks again to Pete for facilitating access. 

post-18813-0-89088500-1438202294.jpg

The GWS's take on GWR coaching stock wartime brown. Should prove useful when I repaint some coaching stock in the near future!

post-18813-0-98241700-1438202302.jpg

The tour group - wet but it great spirits - heads past the turntable for the locomotive works

post-18813-0-73875600-1438202338.jpg

7202 awaits her soon-to-be overhauled boiler in the works. I personally cannot wait to see one of these beasts in steam for the first time in over half a century!

post-18813-0-24947900-1438202357.jpg

Castle's pet Castle (sorry), slumbers in the works - not long to wait now!

post-18813-0-54067200-1438202366.jpg

The Saint, 2999 Lady Of Legend - almost there. Ali gave the group a fascinating insight into the frame conversions needed to turn her into a 4-4-2 Saint - which IS going to happen for her second boiler ticket!

post-18813-0-96560200-1438202374.jpg

Drew (fedora just visible next to 2999's smokebox!) and Ali describe the history of the lifting shop to the group. This building has seen the "attentions" of both the Luftwaffe and Lord McAlpine at various points in its history (both fascinating stories!)

post-18813-0-05415500-1438202388.jpg

The tour group peer into the smokebox of King Edward II

post-18813-0-85432200-1438202408.jpg

Modeller's research for cab-window sheets on a 38XX

post-18813-0-73428000-1438202424.jpg

Yet more modeller's research for a wartime footplate scenario - imagine firing during an air raid in that!

post-18813-0-90649200-1438202502.jpg

End of the day, and with most of the RMWebbers having departed, 81E falls silent, save for a resting large prairie by the coaling stage. Given the livery of the two locos, it could almost be 1949...

post-18813-0-68777800-1438202516.jpg

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 15