Glenfinnan - Modular Baseboard Construction

Dunmar

Hi Bill,

Excellent work, that is looking great and will look forward to seeing it at Glasgow. Might need to see it on Thursday at set up as it will be mobbed.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark,

Better not come near on Thursday set-up ! you might get a job to do.☺

Hi,

As promised some more photo's of the layout before heading of to ModelRail, Glasgow.

Bill.

Hi Bill, just noticed your latest photos must say everything looks the part, I am sure this will well appreciated at the show. If you can't manage on Tuesday I will see at Glasgow,   cheers George.    P.S. Will also bring the loco.

• 9 months later...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments. The layout is now in the form of a horseshoe shape with 2 new fiddleyards giving end to end operation instead of a continuous run.

In the new year a module will be added at the front of the station building to include the resturant coach and the camping coach.

Also planned is the addition of some nice MSE semiphore signals which will be operated by miniature servos.

Bill.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Haven't posted here in a long time but have kept in touch looking at others posts. Have been busy with other projects, sadly none of which are model railway related. thought I might kick off with some superb photo's taken Nigel Birkin for the Hornby magazine way back in May this year.

Bill.

post-3775-0-26482400-1507748696_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-34247600-1507748758_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-25667500-1507748803_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-26356000-1507748848_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-64815000-1507748895_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-37093300-1507748936_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just got the Railway Modeller yearbook, saw the article on Glenfinnan and looked back for this thread. Hadn't commented before but I do like the simplicity of the design and the way the curvature has been used. Useful notes about the scenery work too.

Any progress with the additional scenic module you mentioned?

I've just got the Railway Modeller yearbook, saw the article on Glenfinnan and looked back for this thread. Hadn't commented before but I do like the simplicity of the design and the way the curvature has been used. Useful notes about the scenery work too.

Any progress with the additional scenic module you mentioned?

Hi,

Sad to say no further progress on the module which was to include the two coaches. At this moment in time I am working on extensions to the fiddle yard on the Fort William and Mallaig ends. I hope to have the other module completed for its next outing in April 2018. Sorry for the delay in replying but don't seem to have much time to use the web these days.

Cracking layout which I have missed up until now, always thought Glenfinnan would make a good layout and you have shown that to be the case, will follow with interest. I know there was a Pullman camping coach until around 1970, is that the one you are planning a model of? Or was there a later one?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edit: a photo of 2 camping coaches (one of which is clearly a Pullman) at Glenfinnan in 1968 appears on p.34 of "The West Highland Mallaig Extension" by Tom Noble - complete with a Ford Anglia!

Edited by Signaller69

Cracking layout which I have missed up until now, always thought Glenfinnan would make a good layout and you have shown that to be the case, will follow with interest. I know there was a Pullman camping coach until around 1970, is that the one you are planning a model of? Or was there a later one?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edit: a photo of 2 camping coaches (one of which is clearly a Pullman) at Glenfinnan in 1968 appears on p.34 of "The West Highland Mallaig Extension" by Tom Noble - complete with a Ford Anglia!

Hi,

I was hoping to model the ywo coaches in BR livery rather than LNER Tourist livery. I have seen the photo you refer to.

Lovely photos of a lovely layout, Bill. Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to more when you get the chance.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Haven't been on here in a long time. Hoping to add the new module and some more detail such as PW staff and equipment along with a couple of cameos. Will post more of Nigel's excellent photo's. Bill.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, 

Not been on here in a long time, so I'll come straight to the point. There is no easy way to say this, but something has to give. With a new project on the go, and a distinct lack of space, then it is time to part company with Glenfinnan. So if you are interested in owning an award winning exhibition layout, get in touch. My thanks to everyone on here who helped out with various bits of info during the build. Watch this Space! 

Bill. 

FB_IMG_1615836964705.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to let everyone know here that the new owners of Glenfinnan are the Friends of Glenfinnan Museum. The layout will be on display at the museum and may possibly go out on the show circuit.

Another chapter opens for this superb layout and to finish up on the West Highland Line makes me justly proud of what I have achieved with this layout.

I can finally sleep sound at night!

Bill.

• Like 6