Arched brickwork

• RMweb Gold

Getting onto some structure modelling at the moment and I've come up against something I've not had to do before.

How do others cope with replicating arched brickwork? I am using plasticard as a base with either Wills sheets or slaters embossed brick sheets, building the structure is not a problem or dealing with straight cut sheets, it's the arched brick lintels over windows or the arches in bridges, I've tried scoring using a protractor but there is so much difference between the shhets and the arch.

I wonder if it might be easier to flatten the wills/slaters a little to make them more like the arches without losing too much detail.

Hi Chris,

Try out the Southeastern Finecast embossed sheets, they do an arches one with different sises of curved lintels + on the same sheet they have a couple of rows of stright lintel which you can cut 3/4 way up to manipulate the curve you want, i use them most of the time for my work and it cuts the work time down as well.

Try Southeastern Finecast themselves or Pat Ryan at Modelex.

cheers

Peter A L.

Hi chris,

Howard Scenics do a similar sheet which I stubbled upon at the Stafford show this last weekend, I to was wondering about this constructional difficultly. I have also seen models where the outline of the arch has been cut out of the surrounding brick / stone work and Das modeling clay has been spread into the base of the archway and indivial cut bricks have been set into the clay before it dries. The outline of the proposed arch had been cut ouit with the use of a Compass cuttering tool which is available from Squires ( code no : CKCMP1 page 199 in their current 2010 catalogue) there is also a circle cutter on the same page for the large arches.

Best of luck

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Try out the Southeastern Finecast embossed sheets, they do an arches one with different sises of curved lintels + on the same sheet they have a couple of rows of stright lintel which you can cut 3/4 way up to manipulate the curve you want, i use them most of the time for my work and it cuts the work time down as well.

Try Southeastern Finecast themselves or Pat Ryan at Modelex.

cheers

Peter A L.

peter

i've used the SEF brick sheets on my most recent buildings. My thoughts are:

Good

the sheets are large which minimises joins

they are thin and much easier to cut and bend than Wills

the sheet with arches on is useful and will help the OP

Bad

the sheets are vacuum formed and therefore the bricks are hollow - overdoing the solvent can lead to the brick loosing its raised profile

i've noticed that the brick size and coursing is not consistent between different sheets - not sure why/how but i found out when joining two sheets together and there was a mismatch!

Otherwise a good call.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies eveyone, I didn't know SEF & Howard scenics did those sheets, I'll pick some up and see how I get on with them. The way I've done it so far may look ok after it's been painted and weathered but I need to find a better way for all the other arches.

I'll also search again for that topic.

Dave

peter

i've used the SEF brick sheets on my most recent buildings. My thoughts are:

Good

the sheets are large which minimises joins

they are thin and much easier to cut and bend than Wills

the sheet with arches on is useful and will help the OP

Bad

the sheets are vacuum formed and therefore the bricks are hollow - overdoing the solvent can lead to the brick loosing its raised profile

i've noticed that the brick size and coursing is not consistent between different sheets - not sure why/how but i found out when joining two sheets together and there was a mismatch!

Otherwise a good call.

"many spasms.

Hi Chris,

You are correct with the arches sheet misalignment problem, they do a sheet that matches up with that particular sheet, if you tell them that you want for example english bond type to match the arches they will supply you with it.

As for loosing the definition of the embossing with too much solvent, try liquid poly, i use mek-pak predominantly bur for the likes of embossed sheets i use liquid poly as its less ferocius but still not overdoing it.

The howard scenics type is okay but not much in the way of the embossing, in other words you only get one chance with the painting as a second coat and it dissapears unless it is now different.

Chris you can of course use standard stretcher bond sheet and cut verticaly along the brick line and cut to size it will do the same job for bog standard lintels or cut out headers and but them together to get a header type lintel.

cheers

Peter

Ps: i will be at Doncaster demonstrating over the weekend if you can make it come over for a chat and will show you the different options etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help everyone. I ordered a selection from SEF and they are just what I wanted, nicely formed with a good selection of arches/lintels.

Also have to say service was top notch ordered them about 11am in the morning and postie delivered them at 9am the following day, if only I could build that fast!

Archived