• RMweb Gold

The first shot looks suspiciously like the eastern approaches to Old Oak Common, with the flyover in the background for ECS moves and the ramp left background dropping down towards the depot.

Lovely evocative stuff Neil.

• RMweb Gold

The top one is on the Down Main Line almost immediately to the east of the West London Line overbridge at Old Oak Common East - the Engine & Carriage Lines can be seen descending in the left background, the E&C Lines overbridge beyond the train, the gas holder is at Kensal Green gasworks immediately west of Ladbroke Grove signalbox and the building on the right is in West London Sidings.  An educated (???) guess suggests the picture was taken in 1963.

I agree with Chris regarding the second one - the train being in section approaching Acton Wells Junction.

The Hymek at Basingstoke is in the former GW yard/sidings immediately at the east end of the station with Basingstoke panel 'box building in the background.

The 1000 at Reading is a true historic document - absolutely nothing in that picture, not even the tower block in the background, now survives (standing on the Down Relief Line at Platform  8 .

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I thought it all looked familiar but I couldn't quite orientate myself with regard to where the photographer was standing.

On the subject of the Reading photo, I have a few from about 1973 which show some of those office blocks under construction. It is rather strange to think they have now been demolished again, but I suppose that is one of the thought provoking aspects of getting old.

• RMweb Premium

I loved the shot at Acton Wells. Aside from the lovely Hymek the four vans behind it are an excellent summary of the 12T van. First a B.R. Standard, then a LMS vehicle followed by the classic SR style with a LNER version bringing up the rear. As the B.R. is GWR in terms of the sides and roof with LMS/LNER corrugated ends, the differing roof profiles of Big Four covered vans is shown clearly.

Even though the first two photos are in black and white they show how the original livery complemented the overall design of the loco. Even the rail blue with white windows and small yellow panels was quite attractive but about the rail blue with full yellow ends the least said the better!

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter

All slides were bought with copyright - it is of course possible that they have previously been published. I've got a slide of D805 Benbow scrapped at Swindon I've seen in a book too.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Just found the picture. It also appears on p116 in "Britain's Rail Super Centres: London - The GW Lines" by Laurence Waters (Ian Allan 1993)

The caption reads:

D7059 crosses the Grand Union Canal as it traverses the West London Line near Old Oak Common with a cross London goods to Acton Yard on 10th September 1966.

The photo is attributed to P H Groom.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see 7018 at Bristol for my 14th birthday lol and I remember 7055 along with her sister 7054 in green at Swindon works.  Didn't realise Basingstoke was Hymek country?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Just found the picture. It also appears on p116 in "Britain's Rail Super Centres: London - The GW Lines" by Laurence Waters (Ian Allan 1993)

The caption reads:

D7059 crosses the Grand Union Canal as it traverses the West London Line near Old Oak Common with a cross London goods to Acton Yard on 10th September 1966.

The photo is attributed to P H Groom.

The amusing part of the original caption being that not only was it not on the West London Line but it couldn't have got there from the West London Line without at least one (unnecessary) reversal.

Nice to see 7018 at Bristol for my 14th birthday lol and I remember 7055 along with her sister 7054 in green at Swindon works.  Didn't realise Basingstoke was Hymek country?

Julian Sprott

This could turn out to be the "birthday" hydraulic thread, because the photo of D1028 at Reading was taken on my 22nd birthday.

Thanks for the info. I thought it all looked familiar but I couldn't quite orientate myself with regard to where the photographer was standing.

On the subject of the Reading photo, I have a few from about 1973 which show some of those office blocks under construction. It is rather strange to think they have now been demolished again, but I suppose that is one of the thought provoking aspects of getting old.

I managed to dig one out as an example.

post-4474-0-43715900-1422533222_thumb.jpg

Remember those days, with the old SR station as the car park, and the Waterloo platform was just a single concrete affair.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Julian Sprott

Certainly did - had a cracking day out behind D7009 through there 69/70 on an Adex from Worcester en route to Bournemouth

A perpetuation of through workings to Bournemouth by WR steam on similar workings I guess

Cheers

Phil

And this is the train the Hymek at Milford would probably have worked back eastwards:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/6530982109/in/set-72157628358611339

I can almost smell the fish...

Not sure about 1064 being at Westbury; I always remember there being a yard full of civil engineer's kit (not BR) behind the stabling point. I'm pushed to think where it might be, though. There's what looks to be a loco fuel tank on a brick plinth/ behind a brick bund, just behind the rear of the loco.

• RMweb Gold

And this is the train the Hymek at Milford would probably have worked back eastwards:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/6530982109/in/set-72157628358611339

I can almost smell the fish...

Not sure about 1064 being at Westbury; I always remember there being a yard full of civil engineer's kit (not BR) behind the stabling point. I'm pushed to think where it might be, though. There's what looks to be a loco fuel tank on a brick plinth/ behind a brick bund, just behind the rear of the loco.

The crane in the background marks the site of Farr's yard Brian - quite a long way from the servicing sheds.  At that time the area behind the bottom end of the 'depot' had not been built over.

• Like 1