Yes, the WR in SW England did operate quite a number of 116s in the mid-60s, so there is no problem with one being at LA. I lost all my pre-67 notes, but from what I remember there were a mixture of 116s, 117s, 120s and 121s working various services in that area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all Vuescan is the software I'm using on my Mac - upgraded it and no difference.

I think it's a hardware fault. Just about to shallow fry a steak and will post later with some scans before the fail.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recollect that there was something in the way Paul - so I didn't (and I wonder where my very poor pics of a nearly new D6XX are hiding, they might excite a few folk round ere even tho' they aren't very good)

The depot is not in the London Division (despite the fact that during my railway time I worked at two that were and even spent a week at another) but it's Laira.  However I'm pretty sure you're right about it not having a headcode box but as it was a dmu - 'they'll always be around' - I paid very little attention to it.

Hi Mike

The DMU coach in question is a Derby Driving Motor Second from a 3 car suburban set (class 116 in new money). Derby units when delivered did not have any lining. It has the earlier Derby type exhaust pipes, the two pipes combined into a small box just below the roof line.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening - some more.

First a couple of Hymeks

D7037 on a breakdown train, I think I know where it is - it must be easy any ideas?

post-6925-0-50955700-1423774325_thumb.jpg

Next D7096, which was part of the Derby RCD fleet (as was D7076 which was preserved), D7096 sadly didn't survive, 1980s, Old Dalby.

post-6925-0-63914800-1423774473_thumb.jpg

The only Western in blue with a red nameplate, added in 1976, D1013 Western Ranger at Westbury. Or was it? some suggestions that perhaps D1029 ran with red backed nameplates for at least a year.

post-6925-0-88057100-1423774388_thumb.jpg

A favourite Western, A favourite slide, D1026 Western Centurion at Exeter St Davids

post-6925-0-79978200-1423774449_thumb.jpg

Another favourite- the first ever number to go in my spotting book, D1016 Western Gladiator at Reading.

post-6925-0-97522200-1423774503_thumb.jpg

Will edit to add dates when back in Bristol this weekend, where the slides currently are!

Neil

• Like 16

Next a former avatar, that I used when first joined RMweb, 813 Diadem at Truro in the early 1970s on a glorious milk train

attachicon.gif813 Truro 6C14 Milk.jpg

Nice to see an Associated Octel unfitted 14T chlorine tank in the earlier (red banded) livery style creeping into the shot. I can almost read the number too - maybe 936 or 935. If it's heading east then it's an empty going back from Hayle wharf to Cheshire.

Regards, Andy

Hi all Vuescan is the software I'm using on my Mac - upgraded it and no difference.

I think it's a hardware fault. Just about to shallow fry a steak and will post later with some scans before the fail.

Neil

I find that occasionally Vuescan fails to recognise my scanner, but after a few switch on-and-offs it seems to recover again. The easy way to see if it is a hardware fault is to connect the scanner, choose 'about this mac' from the apple drop down menu, then click on the 'system report' button.  Then go to whichever is the connection you use, either usb bluetooth or firewire and click on the relevant option. If the computer recognises the hardware its details ought to come up in the box on the right hand side.

Indeed I can, 2nd pic of the very first post in this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95191-neils-hydraulic-pics/?p=1754778

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for that, I have read the whole thread honest, but, it was such a long time ago I had forgotten about D812, that is the identity I want for my Heljan 42 when they produce it.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Yes D7037 is on the west end of the Up Main Through Line (bi-directional) at Reading.  D1013 appaers to be at westbury but in a very mucky state at low level for some reason - I say that because it was repainted at Laira that year and I think that is when the plates got their red backing - somewhere I have some transparencies of it on the Exeter cement at Fairwood Jcn a few days after it came back from Laira; actually while the paint job looked nice at a glance examined up close it was atrocious, complete with hand prints!  

Not incidentally my favourite D10XX as I slid off the cab steps (still holding the handrails fortunately) during the weekend of the Gillingham flooding when I converted the Salisbury - Exeter line west of salisbury to 100% D10XX haulage - I enjoyed that!

• Like 3

Ian,

Just a word of caution.  The first Swindon production batch D803-D812 had significant detail body differences that set them apart from D813-D829, D831 and D832 the second production batch.  D830, from the second production batch, was different again because of the exhaust ports for the Paxman engines and D866-D870 were yet another variant body wise.  There is debate about D832 as well and the fan grills installed, just to make life even more complicated.

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the info, I am aware of the differences, but, 812 is the first warship I can recall seeing so thats why i want to name mine and I'm happy to overlook the detail differences as long as it looks like the Warship I remember.  Sorry to hijack the thread Neil

Ian

Yes D7037 is on the west end of the Up Main Through Line (bi-directional) at Reading.  D1013 appaers to be at westbury but in a very mucky state at low level for some reason - I say that because it was repainted at Laira that year and I think that is when the plates got their red backing - somewhere I have some transparencies of it on the Exeter cement at Fairwood Jcn a few days after it came back from Laira; actually while the paint job looked nice at a glance examined up close it was atrocious, complete with hand prints!  

Not incidentally my favourite D10XX as I slid off the cab steps (still holding the handrails fortunately) during the weekend of the Gillingham flooding when I converted the Salisbury - Exeter line west of salisbury to 100% D10XX haulage - I enjoyed that!

Mike - Ranger's plates were repainted in April '76 by Laira along with a few other nice touches with splashes of silver here and there.

Neil - regarding D1029's alleged red plates... as I think I mentioned in my 'Western Liveries' piece and elsewhere on RMWeb, the source of this rumour is most likely the low angle b&w shot of the loco published in Bradford Bartons 'Diesels West' album in which the plates look washed out by the light catching them at a certain angle. So far, not a single colour photo has been published to prove that the plates were ever painted red and every other colour and b&w shot I have or know of shows them being clearly being the original black.

Hope nobody minds some gratuitous re-edited / alternative versions of previously posted preservation era Hydraulic shots to keep the ball rolling...!

post-7638-0-56686600-1423838473_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-61906100-1423838786_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-65250400-1423839253_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-16115300-1423839570_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-32223600-1423839637_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-96914500-1423840075.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mike - Ranger's plates were repainted in April '76 by Laira along with a few other nice touches with splashes of silver here and there.

Neil - regarding D1029's alleged red plates... as I think I mentioned in my 'Western Liveries' piece and elsewhere on RMWeb, the source of this rumour is most likely the low angle b&w shot of the loco published in Bradford Bartons 'Diesels West' album in which the plates look washed out by the light catching them at a certain angle. So far, not a single colour photo has been published to prove that the plates were ever painted red and every other colour and b&w shot I have or know of shows them being clearly being the original black.

I'm not convinced that there were no further Westerns in blue with red backed plates. Robert Carroll's site also has a picture of D1029 which appears to me at least to have plates with a pinkish hue - now I'm prepared to accept that it could be worn away to primer but there is definitely a pink colour. Robert zoomed into D1029's plates, take a look in the thread below - he won the ebay auction, for the photo in question, I bid on it specifically because of the red/black plate question. Further take a look at the photo of D1004 here down Robert's thread,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4043&start=325

D1004 clearly had red plates when in green livery, were they transferred when painted blue? again maybe primer but more red than black.

Edit : D1029 with "pink" plates Robert Carroll's site

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2154555350_d921dd5f45_o.jpg

And http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4043

I've also got a photo (not copyright unfortunately) of 818 in blue with RED plates - 100% sure of that in 1972.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at a few other D1029 and D1004 pictures tonight in the period 1970-2 I'm pretty convinced those photos I've linked to are merely badly faded plates, and not red. D818 certainly had red plates in service whilst blue though, unfortunately I can't post the proof as frustratingly another lost ebay auction.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at a few other D1029 and D1004 pictures tonight in the period 1970-2 I'm pretty convinced those photos I've linked to are merely badly faded plates, and not red. D818 certainly had red plates in service whilst blue though, unfortunately I can't post the proof as frustratingly another lost ebay auction.

Neil

You could post a link to the 818 pic on ebay?

Mike.