• RMweb Gold

Kevin, the old WR brown and cream enamel signage at Exeter was replaced around 1967 / 68 going by various pics I have in my archive. At some of the larger stations on the WR it was a very gradual process with some stations having GW wooden, BR enamel and BR corporate image style in the same period for a while.

Some WR stations were re-signed much later than others - Maidenhead was done as late as 1970, I have a battered but much treasured totem from here which was saved from a skip in the station car park that year by the chap I bought it from.

Edit : Neil, your D1044 shot is at Dawlish Warren!

Beat you - mine came from Taffs Well in 1973, duly saved from the demolition men.

• Like 1

The headcode is for the Waterloo - Plymouth route, whilst the coaching stock is pure Bulleid.

I think it's just a portion of a Plymouth - Waterloo service; though might be wrong.

I did think that at first, but does the absence of a yellow panel on D6306 makes it an early photo?

I think that prior to January 1963 and the transfer of former SR lines to WR control all Southern services in the area would have been steam hauled?

cheers

Burnt out July's budget on copyright hydraulic images this weekend.

First, apologies for the copyright mark - it is mine now. D818 Glory complete with Red nameplate Exeter St David's, November 1972 nearing the end. I've been on the lookout for a good one of 818 with red backed nameplates and paid a tidy sum for it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Next D6306 at an unknown location and date - looks like Exeter again, any pointers gratefully received.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Finally D7043 at Temple Meads on 12th July 1970- just a lovely shot I had to win it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

I fully understand your desire to blow your budget on these transparencies. I would do the same if I had the money, although I wouldn't want to compete with any other RMwebber.

As a thankyou for sharing, and I may have already posted this photo - I have completely lost track; on 9th October 1976 I was on a trip to South Wales attempting to fill my spotting gaps of 08s and 37s. Our HST pulled into Swindon and on the far road was a line of vans. Something made me go to the door and see what (if anything) was on the front. Lo! and behold it was D1054 stopped at signals.

Here she is.

post-4474-0-33240500-1437489000_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 13

The unexpected "fun" didn't stop at Swindon, because although by the time I arrived in Wales it was raining, the first stop was Newport and a walk to Ebbw Junction shed.

Imagine the surprise when D1023 turned up at Newport station with a railtour.

Poor lighting it might be, but I had no idea about railtour dates.

post-4474-0-88806800-1437493263_thumb.jpg

D1023 Newport 9th October 1976.

• Like 11

I did think that at first, but does the absence of a yellow panel on D6306 makes it an early photo?

I think that prior to January 1963 and the transfer of former SR lines to WR control all Southern services in the area would have been steam hauled?

cheers

They were working between Exeter and Plymouth via Okehampton in 1960.  A regular working was the 3 pm ex Waterloo.  The Railway Observer for June 1961 reports with ill-disguised contempt that D6318 became a complete failure on this job on 12th May and D6307 the following day.

Chris

The unexpected "fun" didn't stop at Swindon, because although by the time I arrived in Wales it was raining, the first stop was Newport and a walk to Ebbw Junction shed.

attachicon.gif100197 D1023 NEWP 9:10:76.jpg

As usual, Six Bells Junction has the answers.......

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/761009_1.html

Five and a half hours in Plymouth - what would the punters have done to kill time ?

Even Argyle were away at Blackpool that day.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

And after a round trip to Ebbw Junction and another HST between Newport and Cardiff, could anyone guess what would be one of the first arrivals at Cardiff while I was there? 

Yes, D1022 with an up train of Mk1s.

After 40 years I still have not the slightest idea what this service was.

However, you go to Plymouth to see Westerns in October 1976 and maybe see half a dozen. I went to S. Wales to see 08s and 37s and saw three 52s without even trying.

Isn't life strange?

post-4474-0-83744400-1437494971_thumb.jpg

D1022 Cardiff 9th October 1976

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't the Fishguard -Paddington boat train still rostered for mark 1s in 1976? It was a regular Western turn - can you remember what time of day it was Jonny?

Neil

Edited by Downendian

I was on that! We had it Neath to Plymouth, Totnes to Neath. Dad had a cab ride from Bridgend on the return as he was involved in the organisation.

Dad has photo's of my brother and I admiring D1023 at Laira after it had gone on shed for fuel. It is one of my few vague memories of Thousands in service (I was only four at the time!).

As usual, Six Bells Junction has the answers.......

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/761009_1.html

Five and a half hours in Plymouth - what would the punters have done to kill time ?

Even Argyle were away at Blackpool that day.

Brian R

We went to Laira, then the Dart Valley Railway...

• Like 1

14:25 SX Swansea - Cardiff looks a good bet. Due 15:27, 7 Mk1s, with BSK leading.

The 14:40 Fishguard departure only went to Swansea during the winter timetable, and was only a 4 coach formation.

Only problem is, 9th October was a Saturday.

I suspect it was the 13:15 Cardiff - Plymouth.

Looking at my notes, D1022 was the second loco I saw at Cardiff, and Six Bells Junction says the Western Sunset tour left Newport at 0943. So 1315 would be about right after a leisurely walk to Ebbw Junction and back.

Was there a return working for the loco on the 1315 to Plymouth?

I ask because as it was getting towards dusk, D1022 returned to Cardiff. Sunset was 1730pm-ish that day, and I suspect that it would be between then and 1800 when I took this grainy photo of the loco on its second appearance of the day.

post-4474-0-76729700-1437569916_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Only problem is, 9th October was a Saturday.

I suspect it was the 13:15 Cardiff - Plymouth.

Of course it was a Saturday... but there's no sign of a 13:15 Cardiff - Plymouth in the coach working book for Winter 1976/7 either.

Looking at my notes, D1022 was the second loco I saw at Cardiff, and Six Bells Junction says the Western Sunset tour left Newport at 0943. So 1315 would be about right after a leisurely walk to Ebbw Junction and back.

Was there a return working for the loco on the 1315 to Plymouth?

I ask because as it was getting towards dusk, D1022 returned to Cardiff. Sunset was 1730pm-ish that day, and I suspect that it would be between then and 1800 when I took this grainy photo of the loco on its second appearance of the day.

attachicon.gif100195 D1022 CF 9:10:76.jpg

Of course it was a Saturday... but there's no sign of a 13:15 Cardiff - Plymouth in the coach working book for Winter 1976/7 either.

My mistake - misread the footnote in the timetable. It was a Weston train (no pun intended).

Taking into account the second phot it looks a fair bet to have been 13:15 Cardiff - Weston-super-Mare then 16:30 Weston-Super-mare - Cardiff. The latter was due in Cardiff at 18:12. Alongside is a Peak, and the 14:23 Manchester - Cardiff (a fairly soild Peak turn) was due to terminate at 18:18.

According to UK Weather, sunset in Cardiff on 9th October is 18:33, so that would appear to fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are these details from a public timetable or the working timetable perhaps? Based on the coach working diagrams, there was no loco-hauled train leaving Cardiff at 13:15 for Weston or anywhere else in October 1976. If you've got a WTT for this period that says there was a loco-hauled train, then fair enough, but it seems strange for it to be missing from the stock diagrams.

Are these details from a public timetable or the working timetable perhaps? Based on the coach working diagrams, there was no loco-hauled train leaving Cardiff at 13:15 for Weston or anywhere else in October 1976. If you've got a WTT for this period that says there was a loco-hauled train, then fair enough, but it seems strange for it to be missing from the stock diagrams.

Public.

I would guess it was possibly booked a DMU but hauled due to either shortage of DMU's or capacity issues. The Marches went over to loco & stock around this time for the same reason. Out of interest, are the Cardiff - Crewe trains in the coach working diagrams?

Looking at the timetable (it was the first winter Saturday), there are no instances of two down trains being booked into Cardiff within 26 minutes of each other between 13:12 and 18:18 (other than where an HST is involved). Lighting conditions and the presence of what appears to be 1V92 certainly fit.

• RMweb Gold

Have you got the amendments to the CWPs?  It wasn't entirely unusual for them to be followed within days of date of issue, or even on date of issue, with the first set of amendments especially if seasonal/dated trains were involved.

• RMweb Gold

Public.

I would guess it was possibly booked a DMU but hauled due to either shortage of DMU's or capacity issues. The Marches went over to loco & stock around this time for the same reason. Out of interest, are the Cardiff - Crewe trains in the coach working diagrams?

Looking at the timetable (it was the first winter Saturday), there are no instances of two down trains being booked into Cardiff within 26 minutes of each other between 13:12 and 18:18 (other than where an HST is involved). Lighting conditions and the presence of what appears to be 1V92 certainly fit.

I've been thinking it may have been a DMU stand in, but with pretty generous accommodation. The stock formation looks like the SX train I mentioned, which of course would have been spare on Saturdays. The first 4 coaches look rather more clean than the rear ones if that has any significance. Yes the Cardiff Crewe stock formations are listed - all 4 or 5 coaches without checking.

• RMweb Gold

Have you got the amendments to the CWPs?  It wasn't entirely unusual for them to be followed within days of date of issue, or even on date of issue, with the first set of amendments especially if seasonal/dated trains were involved.

There are hand written amendments, but mostly affecting air con mk2 trains going over to HST services, and some changes to formations of overnight services. Many of NE-SW trains were still mk1 at this time. I was wondering whether the Western worked up to Gloucester and back, on north and southbound legs, but it seems from Steve's public timetable there were no suitable candidates.

• Like 1

This was the year before I started on BR, but I can say that in the later 1970s and into the 1980s the 16.30 from Weston was at times a loco hauled service,

I have three photos of it on the 1980s, two class 37 hauled and once a 47.

Sometimes it was arranged on the day, but there were also times when it was diagrammed as such for several weeks due to DMU shortages.

It was a good diagram for a loco and coaches replacement as it was a relatively long distance service without repeated run rounds, there was a railman at Weston passed as a shunter to run round there,

and, as it departed Bristol for Cardiff at about 17.00 it provided useful capacity in the evening commuter peak,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider