Oh my, Bath Road in 1967 is just wonderful. If this is the standard of what may be revealed by the new scanner then I might need to have my blood pressure checked in advance.

On a tangent, has anyone tried the latest Vuescan update 9.5.22?  I did, but didn't like it.

I couldn't find anyway of adjusting the colour balance of a scan, so I binned it and re-loaded the older version 9.4.59

Apparently the scanner is due tomorrow - I still will need to return the Nikon though for repair, as my intention is to start a Zenfolio or Flickr account and try and earn a bit of cash to supplement my growing collection of slides.

Three more this week for your review

First a roughly cleaned up shot of Bath road in 1967 - just lovely

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Next the North end of Temple Meads an early series GSYP hymek arrives on a service I think from Portsmouth Harbour - note the Presflos bound for Avonside wharf.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Finally this weekend one of my key prize slides, D1002 at Reading in 1970. I was prepared to pay a fair bit for this and was surprised I won it for £35. Earlier this week a rather run of the mill shot of D1016 in blue went for over £70. I guess if you want the slide enough and get into a bidding war that's the result.

Neil

I think D1002 on 1A21 is on the 0750 Paignton-Paddington, which ran on Saturdays only 13 June to 5 September 1970. The first four carriages match the carriage workings: FK, CK, BSK, BSK, the remainder being SK, SO, SK, SK, SK.  It called at Reading 11:07-11:09.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having tested Worcester out today, the bucolic south doesn't scare me any more, with so many hydraulics I could well be tempted.

Mike.

'CIVITAS IN BELLO ET PACE FIDELIS'

What were you up to on my home turf Mike?

It still counts as the Midlands you know...the South doesn't start till Tewkesbury....

Phil

P

• RMweb Gold

It still counts as the Midlands you know...the South doesn't start till Tewkesbury....

Phil

P

For those of us in northern locations like 60A the south starts at 63A these days, but as a teenager in London the North started depending on who you talked to either at Watford, or at Tottenham as it was rumoured nobody spoke the Queen's english north of there...

The last time I saw Teddy bears running I have to say was at Corby c1974!

Kevin

• Like 1

No can do I'm afraid. It's a gentlemen of Downend trip to Amsterdam that weekend.

Neil

I wonder if Nailsea can somehow be annexed to Downend; purely for civic efficiency you understand?

• RMweb Gold

Phil

P

Long story, last minute decision.

Trainspotting on the bridge whilst in the Bodega Cantina, isn't Worcester boring these days?, no Hymeks, Brush 4's or anything interesting.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Phil

P

Tewkesbury in the south??? From where I am sat it is that far west are you sure it isn't called Wales???

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Nailsea can somehow be annexed to Downend; purely for civic efficiency you understand?

A sort of cultural exchange visit Jonny? My wife comes from Nailsea unfortunately we haven't been to the area for years (save the Black Horse in Clapton in Gordano).

We tend to do these autumn beer fuelled trips once a year, we've been to the Oktoberfest x3, Prague x2 I'm trying to convince them that Beer isn't the only cultural important commodity in Europe.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Tewkesbury in the south??? From where I am sat it is that far west are you sure it isn't called Wales???

Was at a high powered professional meeting yesterday re 3 new regional networks defined by those in high places - Downendian will know what its about!!!!

Two regions - Kent, Sussex and Surrey, together with Yorkshire and Humberside, had well defined geographically based descriptions of their locations

The third was described as "The area surrounding the cities of Bristol and Bath". Its almost like those in Ivory towers have no idea of what is past Swindon on the M4!

Here be Dragons.... Kingdom of Mercia or Wessex anyone?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

A sort of cultural exchange visit Jonny? My wife comes from Nailsea unfortunately we haven't been to the area for years

She hasn't missed much. There is a 99p shop now, though.

Used to live in Nailsea, up to about 25years ago. Left about the time the yobs attacked the police station one Christmas, iirc. Used to buy cider at a farm near Backwell, the owner said nothing wrong with Nailsea, just the people who live there. We moved to a more high class place - Bridgwater :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was at a high powered professional meeting yesterday re 3 new regional networks defined by those in high places - Downendian will know what its about!!!!

Two regions - Kent, Sussex and Surrey, together with Yorkshire and Humberside, had well defined geographically based descriptions of their locations

The third was described as "The area surrounding the cities of Bristol and Bath". Its almost like those in Ivory towers have no idea of what is past Swindon on the M4!

Here be Dragons.... Kingdom of Mercia or Wessex anyone?

Phil

Hi Phil

What is past Swindon???? :scratchhead: Don't you know the west country starts as you rejoin the M4 at Reading service station. :no:

As for what is past Swindon, istn't that the area that use to surround Bath and Bristol? :dontknow:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Well scanner is here - nowhere near the quality of the Nikon, but appears OK. Having problems getting it to communicate with my VueScan software that doesn't detect the scanner. Hopefully will be resolved soon!

Neil

Bristol and Bath are on the M4 corridor.All lands that lie North of that corridor are Midlands orientated and all lands that lie South of that corridor are culturally Westcountry. Effectively Bristol is the gateway to the Midlands when viewed from the Westcountry.

• RMweb Gold

Test run for the new scanner - results are mixed and not as nice as the coolpix V, but then the scanner was one tenth the cost.

I made the mistake of scanning at full resolution as a TIF file- 105Mb file and locked the system solid last night!

However "rough and ready' and not the best input slide in the first place as it needed a fair bit of work.

D1003 at Starcross, date unknown.

post-6925-0-94644500-1438934499_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A couple more - this time of D1065 - purchased to assist my weathering project of my Dapol/Heljan hybrid.

I haven't quite got the colours right, will probably need to buy photoshop or similar to deal with this.

Found a major flaw though with the scanner- it crops the outer edges of the slide, I had a beautiful one of D1064 at Reading with a full panned shot on its stone train.

First D1065 Western Consort at Reading September 1975

post-6925-0-53364600-1438943513_thumb.jpg

Next D1065 at an unknown location (help please) in 1976 - note the increasing amount of faded paintwork as a result of the climate/carriage washing plants those two summers.

post-6925-0-74193000-1438943585_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry some more! maybe boring some with D1065 and her condition late in life, but they're not too many photos of her 1975/6 on the web so I've been on the look out for them. I was especially interested in the M-shaped horn cowl at the B-end.

First D1065 at Newquay, September 1975

post-6925-0-50653200-1438946449_thumb.jpg

Same month at Reading- the shot following the previous post with D1065 departing.

post-6925-0-48030600-1438946481_thumb.jpg

A favourite Western turn of mine- good summer holiday memories of the Clayliner

D1027 6V53 Stoke-St Blazey China clay empties September 1975

post-6925-0-84159300-1438946515_thumb.jpg

Finally at Merehead quarry in that hot dusty summer of 1976, a shot which captured the Western's last summer for me.

D1041 Western Prince at Merehead, 23rd August 1976

post-6925-0-91570400-1438946752_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 15

Excellent stuff Neil, do keep it up mate! Location of your second D1065 shot in post #976 is the east end of Reading... taken from virtually the same spot as the first but with the photographer turned round 90 degrees  ;)

My 'Hydraulic Mojo' is alive and well but needs constant feeding squire...!

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Sorry some more! maybe boring some with D1065 and her condition late in life, but they're not too many photos of her 1975/6 on the web so I've been on the look out for them. I was especially interested in the M-shaped horn cowl at the B-end.

First D1065 at Newquay, September 1975

attachicon.gifD1065 Newquay 0975 low.jpg

Same month at Reading- the shot following the previous post with D1065 departing.

attachicon.gifD1065 Reading 0975 02.jpg

A favourite Western turn of mine- good summer holiday memories of the Clayliner

D1027 6V53 Stoke-St Blazey China clay empties September 1975

attachicon.gifD1027 NA 0975 Low.jpg

Finally at Merehead quarry in that hot dusty summer of 1976, a shot which captured the Western's last summer for me.

D1041 Western Prince at Merehead, 23rd August 1976

attachicon.gifD1041 Merehead 230876 .jpg

Neil

Like the way the Allegro is hiding in the bushes ..... best place for it !!!

Hee hee

Cracking shots again Neil....

Phil

• Like 2

A couple more - this time of D1065 - purchased to assist my weathering project of my Dapol/Heljan hybrid.

I haven't quite got the colours right, will probably need to buy photoshop or similar to deal with this.

My experience with Vuescan, is that with very careful experimentation you can get the colours almost spot on from well exposed slides and negatives.

I know the colour balance levels look daunting, especially on manual; and even the slide vendor/brand/type settings can have a subtle effect even if the slide brand is not the one listed.

However, it can take a while to arrive at the right values, but my advice is - stick with it.

For instance the D1065 scans look to me as if they could do with a bit more red hue.

I had a quick "fiddle" with D1065 at Reading and although it is still not great, I think it might be an improvement.

post-4474-0-29769800-1438973610.jpg

Actually, it looks a bit greener on this page than it does on my desktop.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4