A nice view, it is a down working towards Penzance.

I have a WTT for May 3rd 1976 when 4B08 was a 10.55 Plymouth - Penzance working (Bodmin Road 11.35 - 11.40), when it probably conveyed vans received vans off 1B78 06.30 Bristol - Plymouth,

cheers

Yes, sorry.

I was thinking back to front, and forgetting the layout at Bodmin Road.

Caption amended accordingly.

• Like 1

I have spent some time looking at the picture of D6334 and can't quite reconcile it as Teignmouth as I think we should be able to see a bridge.

I am wondering about it being at Dawlish with the picture taken from the down platform, where, like Teignmouth, the down platform is longer than the up platform,

and I think looking at signalling diagrams there was a double slip which is to the right of D6334 in the picture,

cheers

I couldn't quite work that photo out either, but I think you're right, the raised fence/building on the right fits better with Dawlish, good spot.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I initially gave an 'agree' to Teignmouth but on reflection there should be a stone retaining wall behind, at the point were the goods yard joined the up line. Dawlish does seem to be more likely.

Edit: I knew I'd find a shot eventually - yes definitely Dawlish and a lovely Warship shot as well.

https://flic.kr/p/bVnEgq

4347509683_71eef21513_b.jpg46011 coming into Teignmouth - 5th July, 1976 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments on the D6334 shot, I've duly taken it down for copyright reasons.

I've more to scan this weekend, which are of known copyright- I.e. Mine.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

I hope no one minds me adding this, and Neil and many others on this thread has been as kind to allow usage of images.

but here is D6315 or D6316 original engine, engine 220 which in now destined for the new Class 22.

attached is also D6352 (original by derek jones) photo shopped to show D6358 a vision of the future. 

for anyone wishing to have a look into the project please visit us at

www.class22newbuild.co.uk

or email us at enquiries@class22newbuild.co.uk

post-25150-0-23581800-1448654934_thumb.jpg

post-25150-0-74736900-1448654935_thumb.jpg

post-25150-0-69476600-1448654937_thumb.jpg

post-25150-0-95748600-1448654938_thumb.jpg

post-25150-0-19939800-1448654974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Project22
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I hope no one minds me adding this, and Neil and many others on this thread has been as kind to allow usage of images.

but here is D6315 or D6316 original engine, engine 220 which in now destined for the new Class 22.

attached is also D6352 (original by derek jones) photo shopped to show D6358 a vision of the future. 

Look forwards to hearing that engine fire up - and to 6358 appearing at Gloucester as per the photo!

Phil

A bit of vapour/bead blasting there,

and it`ll come up like new.

Edited by Ray M

Many thanks Phil.

we have a rough date in mind by the end of next year, but we will not commit to that.

we have had an oil report come back, and it is in a fairly good condition.

there is a plan of what work and in an order to be done, and then we can plan this into project 22 working parties as it will will take time.

we all want to hear this fire up, but will not rush at it to get it there.

anyone wishing to visit the engine and cab yard please drop us an email to - richard@class22newbuild.co.uk

Well, my old man's checked his slides and confirms the phot of D6973+D9544 is definitely at Abergwynfi, not Glyncorrwg.

Thinking about I doubt it could have been at Glyncorrwg as I suspect 37's were banned there due to the weak viaduct at Cymmer. That would also explain why 08's took over from Teddy Bears, not something bigger and faster.

There were two derailments in the area.The one was when a class 14 ran away from Avon Colliery and ended up through the catch points at Gelli Groundframe.The other was at Glyncorrwg when a Class 14 ended up going over the bank at the weighbridge.I suspect that the photo is at Glyncorwg as two cranes were brought in to put the loco back on the track.The derailment at Gelli was only a matter of lifting the loco back on but there were a few wagons piled up around the junction

Hi

The 2 Teds are

D9529 was the loco that fell down the bank at the colliery weighbridge the loco was recovered by 2 breakdown cranes which dragged it out on it's side to recover it ,Swindon works took nearly 9 months to repair it. The loco still bears some it's scars today as I was told by it's owners.

D9542 is the other Ted at Gelli.

Hope this helps.

Also D9551 ran away in sidings at the back of  Cardiff Queen Street station in 1966 due to brake failure and ran through the wall that loco still has some of the scars today.

I have a photo of it and I knew the Driver.   

Cheers    

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

There's a photo of D9542 at the front of a heap of 16-tonners on P79 of 'Looking Back at Western Region Hydraulics', published by Strathwood. The 95er is upright, but the front buffer beam is hidden under the mound of earth it had ploughed up when it reached the end of the sand-drag. The nine or so wagons are somewhat battered, including the vac-fitted one that really should have been at the front of the train..There doesn't seem to have been a brake van present, unless it had already been removed.

There were two derailments in the area.The one was when a class 14 ran away from Avon Colliery and ended up through the catch points at Gelli Groundframe.The other was at Glyncorrwg when a Class 14 ended up going over the bank at the weighbridge.I suspect that the photo is at Glyncorwg as two cranes were brought in to put the loco back on the track.The derailment at Gelli was only a matter of lifting the loco back on but there were a few wagons piled up around the junction

Meanwhile, elsewhere on RMweb.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105485-cymmer-afan-mgr-workings-1969/

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully digging the scanner out again this week, been tied up last weekend Xmas shopping in the beautiful city of Bath. May I recommend the "man crèche" called the Raven, which serves very good beer to accompany their bangers and mash.

For all Western fans I heartily recommend a book by Stephen Dowle (otherwise known as Fray Bentos on Flickr), my thoughts on it are in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105500-class-52-westerns-the-twilight-years-the-amberley-railway-archive/?p=2116563

In the meantime I've sourced a photo of D1013 with black backed plates, probably on 4th September 1975 at Exeter in charge of the 1V34 Kensington Olympia to St Austell motorail, car flats unfortunately not in shot, I'd always wanted a photo or her in this condition, before the red back plates were attached the following year..post-6925-0-49986700-1449337211_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 9

I think we may have our wires crossed.

The phot of D6973 is with D9544 after the latter failed, not derailed. On the left of the picture you can see railings next to the track and on the right high level sidings. This fits Avon colliery at Abergwynfi, not Glyncorrwg (the latter was in a much more cramped setting).

Have a look at http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/GlamWest/Avon.htmand the photo of 9678 at Abergwynfi on Six Bells Junction (Y Draig Goch, 21/11/64).

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon an upgrade to my Mac OS has meant some scanning downtime, but resumed this afternoon.

Some Hymeks and one solitary Western today.

I'm always on the look out for photos of Hymeks in the final years- the time when I remember them best, the first three are all taken at Reading, and must of been around 1973/4, Memories of the "last ten" in service in 1974. I intend to model all of the final locos in this condition, I already have D7011 renumbered. I will look up the recording codes later and edit appropriately

D7011 at Reading

post-6925-0-65457700-1449927783_thumb.jpg

D7026 at Reading

post-6925-0-08921700-1449927792_thumb.jpg

D7029 at Reading

post-6925-0-41340300-1449927800_thumb.jpg

Finally a Western at Gloucester in the fine Maroon full yellow livery, D1008 Western Harrier 27th June 1969

post-6925-0-32166000-1449928152_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 14

Love those Hymek shots above Neil, very tasty - classic 'Reading loco portrait' shots to boot!

Just a nod to your earlier shot of 1013 in post #1063, it's original plates were repainted from black to red in April '76 and not replaced with another set ;) 

Good afternoon an upgrade to my Mac OS has meant some scanning downtime, but resumed this afternoon.

I'm always on the look out for photos of Hymeks in the final years- the time when I remember them best, the first three are all taken at Reading, and must of been around 1973/4, Memories of the "last ten" in service in 1974. I intend to model all of the final locos in this condition, I already have D7011 renumbered. I will look up the recording codes later and edit appropriately

D7011 at Reading

attachicon.gifD7011 Reading Ca 1971.jpg

D7026 at Reading

attachicon.gifD7026 2 Reading ca 1973.jpg

D7029 at Reading

attachicon.gifD7029 Reading ca 1973.jpg

Finally a Western at Gloucester in the fine Maroon full yellow livery, D1008 Western Harrier 27th June 1969

attachicon.gifD1008 Gloucester 270669.jpg

Neil

1008 at California Crossing, the branch to the Glos Rly Carr & Wagon works off to the right... great shot

• RMweb Premium

D7026 at Reading

attachicon.gifD7026 2 Reading ca 1973.jpg

Neil

D7026, the first loco I recorded in my 1966 Ian Allan Diesel Locomotives book. So started my youthful trainspotting period. By the time I got out of the women, beer and rock 'n' roll stage some blighter had renumbered all the locos and I didn't have a clue what I seen and what I not so started modelling.

attachicon.gifD1008 Gloucester 270669.jpg

Neil

Agreed, first carriage is an XP64. They often appeared in the Gloucester/Cheltenham trains at that time, having been displaced from Bristol/South Wales by air-braked Mark IIa/b stock.

Edited by robertcwp

• RMweb Gold

I know I should hold my head in shame for not knowing the answer to this local question but....

Is that a down working to Cheltenham?

Cheers

Phil

Agreed, first carriage is an XP64. They often appeared in the Gloucester/Cheltenham trains at that time, having been displaced from Bristol/South Wales by air-braked Mark IIa/b stock