• RMweb Premium

I've surprised myself as the relevant Working Time Table is in my collection (a bit early and north of my main WTT interest) and 1B56 is the 1635 Paddington to Cheltenham Spa, none other than the Cheltenham Spa Express. It was due in Gloucester at 1859 departing at 1903.

• RMweb Premium

I've surprised myself as the relevant Working Time Table is in my collection (a bit early and north of my main WTT interest) and 1B56 is the 1635 Paddington to Cheltenham Spa, none other than the Cheltenham Spa Express. It was due in Gloucester at 1859 departing at 1903.

My understanding is that in steam days, Paddington-Cheltenham services ran via Gloucester Central and reversed. When did such services start running via Eastgate?

My understanding is that in steam days, Paddington-Cheltenham services ran via Gloucester Central and reversed. When did such services start running via Eastgate?

Before the end of steam Andy - if I've got this right, the very last steam hauled Padd-Chelt'nam ran with steam as far as Gloucester Eastgate, with D1006 'Western Stalwart' working the final leg into Chelt'nam St.James. There are several well known colour photos of this working in various Hydraulic books, they're easy to spot as D1006 was running around with its 'marine' windscreen wipers at the time.

Before the end of steam Andy - if I've got this right, the very last steam hauled Padd-Chelt'nam ran with steam as far as Gloucester Eastgate, with D1006 'Western Stalwart' working the final leg into Chelt'nam St.James. There are several well known colour photos of this working in various Hydraulic books, they're easy to spot as D1006 was running around with its 'marine' windscreen wipers at the time.

I think that was a tour rather than service train. Dad took a few of phot's of it, including a lovely one at Cheltenham St James with D1006 on the tour and a very tatty D1068 alongside on a regular Paddington train - I'd post it but it's his photo, not mine.

Edited by Steve T
  • Like 1

Rather special when pastimes combine - likewise with footy Kidderminster Harriers stadium used to be good for watching both the game and passing railway activity - only went there when Worcester City were playing of course, if an evening game Hymeks were likely there too in the late 60s/early 70s.

Sounds like my 'son in law's' dad -  both a Worcester City supporter, and railway enthusiast.

Brian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So that it the two people removed theory reinforced once more - welcome to the club Brian. Was just about to send you a PM queying if it was Alistair...

Alistair Munro - Old Elizabethan (Worcester Grammar Old Boy), Chemical Pathologist (ret), WCFC fan and railway enthusiast - I connect to him on 4 counts!

Did not imagine I would see him again after I moved away from Worcester in 1981 but on turning out for a Milton Keynes Pathology vs Northampton Pathology cricket match in the 1980s there he was on the pitch - despite his personal indicatiopns to the contrary (on calipers IIRC) surprisingly agile too....

Many thanks for highlighting happy days Brian

The world gets smaller as we get older....

kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone.

A few more recent scans, some more to do over Xmas with a bit of modelling - tree building yesterday.

D1059 Western Empire on the seawall approaching Teignmouth, date unknown but Ca 1969

post-6925-0-98001500-1450611651_thumb.jpg

An unknown Western at Exeter - I've tried my best for an ID but to no avail.

post-6925-0-27555700-1450611673_thumb.jpg

A lovely class 22 shot, D6333 at Dawlish on 21st August 1969

post-6925-0-33480700-1450611716_thumb.jpg

Finally my first memories of the end of the hydraulic era- lines of scrapped Hymeks at Bristol St Phillips Marsh.

D7003 in the middle of the lineup, date approx 1972/3.

post-6925-0-54168000-1450611739_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes saw those!! A Hymek went for over £70 a couple of weeks ago, D7069. D1002 pics are quite rare, but D1005 and D1070 are not as they lasted quite late.

I'm not bidding at those prices!

Neil

Well done, I tried but failed on all of them- well over average that batch, but the quality looked pretty good.

Rare ones too D1000, D1002 and D1014 in blue.

Neil

The one that came my way was uid, so maybe the experts can work out which loco it is?

The one that came my way was uid, so maybe the experts can work out which loco it is?

Well, the experts were not really needed because the scan revealed it to be D1066 Western Prefect at what appears to be Paignton station.

post-4474-0-86149000-1453809855_thumb.jpg

• Like 6