Afraid I was born too late to experience these fine machines in everyday service, but there are two preserved here at the Severn Valley, one of which is D1015 Western Champion, seen entering Highley in August 2016.

post-31351-0-56013200-1514622527_thumb.jpeg

Next time I'm at the SVR I'm going to see if I can get some slides with hydraulic traction to scan - what could possibly go wrong? ;)

(assuming that's alright with Neil?)

Edited by SVRlad
  • Like 2

I`ve had a look.

but i can`t find mine,  seem to be missing 1 book with pickies in.

Ah Ah, but you see what a little nudge can do.

Thanks for all your pickies.

And have a Happy new year. :good:

Sorry to hear of the missing photos. That must be rather devastating. I can't imagine losing any of my collection, in fact I was rather depressed to find mice had been nibbling some of my 1950s Trains Illustrateds for nest material - and I could, in theory, replace those. 

As it is still the Festive Season, here are a couple from me; but I'm afraid they are of indifferent quality. 

post-4474-0-32336500-1514720810_thumb.jpg

I have little info on this except the slide was processed in July 1976. 

post-4474-0-86220800-1514720820_thumb.jpg

This is c1968 but of an unidentified member of the class. The head code is 3A31. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

D1051 at Bristol Temple Meads

Copyright Bob Masterman

Cheers GARETH

On the right, I'm intrigued by what looks like two loading gauges right next to each other over the same track. Can anyone explain that?

Edited by Andy Kirkham

On the right, I'm intrigued by what looks like two loading gauges right next to each other over the same track. Can anyone explain that?

Now - this is pure surmise.

Loading gauges were sometimes (always?) adjustable to different permitted profiles, for different routes.

If two different profiles were frequently used from one yard, it would make sense / save time to have two gauges, set to the two different profiles, for use depending on the route to be taken by a particular train.

Of course - I could be way off track here ........ !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

So yesterday I bought some photos from the 813 Fund at Kidderminster, and am able to upload them on here (sorry for the blueish tint):

post-31351-0-58074500-1514816355_thumb.jpg

D1026 'Western Centurion' at Bristol Temple Meads, no date given but the presence of Mk2 coaches makes me believe it's 1973 at the earliest.

post-31351-0-59323100-1514816592_thumb.jpg

Hymek no. D7024, pre 1970 in an unknown location - any ideas?

Edited by SVRlad
  • Like 6

So yesterday I bought some photos from the 813 Fund at Kidderminster, and am able to upload them on here (sorry for the blueish tint):

attachicon.gifPhoto on 1 Jan 2018, 14_16_04.jpg

D1026 'Western Centurion' at Bristol Temple Meads, no date given but the presence of Mk2 coaches makes me believe it's 1973 at the earliest.

attachicon.gifPhoto on 1 Jan 2018, 14_16_26.jpg

Hymek no. D7024, pre 1970 in an unknown location - any ideas?

MK 2 stock started to appear from 1968 onwards I would say it's 1971 onwards as Bristol Temple Meads re signalling was 71. 

Hymek D7024 I would say 64/65 as it shows Padd still got search light signals Padd was re signalled in 67.

Hope this might help.

Cheers GARETH

Nice ones Liam!

There must be untold treasures in the KRM archive....

Phil

Thanks Phil, yes I'm sure there are lots of photos in the KRM archive, but there were none yesterday, and when I asked in the upstairs room if they had any collection of photos I received a rather rude retort of "There's no photographs in 'ere! The photo fair is next weekend!" which is true and depending on my revision progress might try to go along to that.

Also picked up some other photos at the 813 Fund, but only of Peaks tut tut

Here's a better quality picture of the Hymek:

post-31351-0-99280500-1514836094_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Spotted this one on eBay yesterday, and won for the sum of £3.70. A real rarity I think, three Hymeks at (edit) Caldicot Although out of focus, I'm ever hopeful that future software will be able to correct this.

1O67 is a Cardiff-Pompey service that the Blue small yellow mek is working. Very rare to capture this, and a shame about the focus, but I had to add it to my collection.

Neilattachicon.gifIMG_2152.PNG

Just need to add faces and it's just like Thomas the tank engine with three engines in the same area at once :P

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

One more, D1013 12th October 1975 on the 7C47 Acton-Severn Tunnel Junction (I think) at Reading. I’m keen to study the composition of this train for modelling purposes as it was a solid Western turn in the 1970s both West and Eastbound. It looks like a fitted head of 16T minerals, and then a mix of 21 and 24T hoppers. Must get more of those parkside models then. I won’t for obvious reasons be able to achieve scale length.

Won on eBay in the past week. A bit out of focus, let’s see what the slide scans like.

Neil post-6925-0-79014900-1515428185_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 15

Nice find Neil - if it's a Summer '75 shot it's a very late one, 1013's silver buffers etc were applied when it worked 'The Bristolian-Tynesider' tour on 14th September '75, which it worked from Bristol to Birmingham.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How frustrating. Last week I was outbid on a slide taken at Winterbourne of D1051 leading D1023 on the Western Enterprise railtour of 27th April 1975. Of personal interest as I spoke to the photographer who climbed up the embankment adjacent to the overbridge where we were spotting. He told us he had a lineside permit, and the shot undoubtedly was taken by him. One photo that got away when I knew I was there, I’m 99% sure it is Winterbourne.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two undated slides, but the first must be post 1962 and whenever D841 was repainted.

D841 Roebuck at Plymouth North Road,

post-6925-0-47744200-1516212242_thumb.jpeg

Next 1200 Falcon at Paddington, again undated.

I know 1200 is not a diesel Hydraulic but her twin Maybachs give her honorary status.

post-6925-0-55946000-1516212336_thumb.jpeg

The first slide is now my copyright, the second is “presumed copyright”by the seller. If it’s a copy slide I’ll take it down, but I’ve not seen it before. A few blemishes on it, that I hope photoshop will sort.

Neil

• Like 19

Two cracking finds there Neil, well played. I suspect the D841 shot is post 8/6/65 when she emerged from Swindon after a ninety six day stay for various works, hence why she bypassed maroon. Her next long stay inside was in '67 when she went from green to blue.

The Falcon shot is an atmospheric corker, probably c.1972...tail lamp already on for a light engine run out to Ranelagh Bridge... I love the dark dank side of Padd and the yellow parcels van!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

The Falcon shot is an atmospheric corker, probably c.1972...tail lamp already on for a light engine run out to Ranelagh Bridge... I love the dark dank side of Padd and the yellow parcels van!

From the way the platform curves I suspect Falcon has come from RB on to its train, but, the driver hasn't arrived in the near cab to switch the tail lamp off yet? I may be wrong, but, I don't think the platforms at Padd curve at the buffer stop end.

Ian

Edited by ianwales

• RMweb Premium

From the way the platform curves I suspect Falcon has come from RB on to its train, but, the driver hasn't arrived in the near cab to switch the tail lamp off yet? I may be wrong, but, I don't think the platforms at Padd curve at the buffer stop end.

Ian

The photo’s taken at the London (buffer stops) end of platform 9.

Two undated slides, but the first must be post 1962 and whenever D841 was repainted.

D841 Roebuck at Plymouth North Road,

attachicon.gif40851375-671F-4E9D-A685-F7316780D4CB.jpeg

Next 1200 Falcon at Paddington, again undated.

I know 1200 is not a diesel Hydraulic but her twin Maybachs give her honorary status.

attachicon.gif319756BC-59E7-4BD8-9D40-DD0A4D22FBD2.jpeg

The first slide is now my copyright, the second is “presumed copyright”by the seller. If it’s a copy slide I’ll take it down, but I’ve not seen it before. A few blemishes on it, that I hope photoshop will sort.

Neil

I always Class Falcon as hydraulic great shots.

Cheers Gareth