On 11/11/2018 at 09:08, Downendian said:

My spend on WR hydraulic copyright photos has diminished somewhat. Partly due to retirement and having lost multiple ebay bids. Furthermore, my carp fishing has somewhat overshadowed the modelling time/budget this year.

But here's one I picked up recently, a favourite Hymek D7054, the last in service in green at Twyford in the "late 1960s", given that it was still green in 1972 it could be as late as that. I thought it was rather lovely.

Does anyone know what service 6B19 is? Obviously a milk train, looks like bound to the West Country.

Neil

post-6925-0-67212900-1541926880_thumb.png

This has to be post May 1971 as its 'B', if it was pre May 1971 it would of been 'C' for the West of England..

• Like 3

On 09/06/2019 at 08:27, Ray M said:

Just a quick bump for this thread,

Colours,  arrows,  numbers, handrails & what ever else you would like to throw in.

Taken from Pintrest. 

20190608_175523.jpg

Interesting pic this. A pity Dapol didn't see it before tooling their 4mm model with driver's name card holders which compromised the decoration on the Bfy versions (I pushed Kernow to remove these from their D600, otherwise D600 Active would have been similarly afflicted - besides which D600 never had them anyway, and neither did D601 as built). Has anyone else noticed the two versions of Bfy on Class 22s? On these two the yellow above the cab side window wraps over onto the rainstrip, but on many of the 1967 repaints the yellow was masked in line with the cab window corner pillars. I haven't been able to identify which ones due to filth, as nearly illustrated by D6328! This one was my 41st and final Class 22 cop, on 11/9/71 parked as seen here at Laira. It arrived there in May 71 and was withdrawn in July, and in between only appears to have been used on one train - a weedkiller, which took it to the end of more South West branch lines than most of Laira' s regulars ever managed in Class 22's later years. D6328's blaze of glory moment!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm still picking up the occasional hydraulic slide, but my modelling mojo has somewhat diminished due to my carp angling passion, which is all consuming. I'm now on the committee of a local angling club, and hopefully have been successful with a grant bid to carry out dam modifications to our largest lake. I'm writing the second stage proposal now. The almost failure of the Whaley bridge dam earlier this year has had a big impact on angling clubs who own a significant number of dammed lakes, anyhow I digress.

One to be going on with, D7007 at Severn tunnel junction undated, but will be early 1970s, of course my copyright. One of three Hymeks to carry the blue small yellow panel livery with blue window surrounds (D7004 later modified to white and D7051 were the others). Another unidentified blue small yellow panel mek with white surrounds is behind. Those were the days.

NeilIMG_1097.PNG.7acffae4c6f1446fe48bc662ee7dfaaa.PNG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Well and another whilst I'm at it.

i was rather lucky to pick this one up. Described as a "1950s diesel" not obviously a hens teeth pic of a D6XX. The blemish in the neg is a shame but undoubtedly put some off. I was the only bidder and picked it up for £5.99. 

Anyone know where this is? Unfortunately loco not identified either.IMG_1137.PNG.851c1db6f5db1dafb5d2f3a212029c79.PNG

• Like 8

On 08/12/2019 at 07:37, Downendian said:

Well and another whilst I'm at it.

i was rather lucky to pick this one up. Described as a "1950s diesel" not obviously a hens teeth pic of a D6XX. The blemish in the neg is a shame but undoubtedly put some off. I was the only bidder and picked it up for £5.99. 

Anyone know where this is? Unfortunately loco not identified either.IMG_1137.PNG.851c1db6f5db1dafb5d2f3a212029c79.PNG

I think this is the west end of the original Ivybridge station site adjacent Blachford Road, the UB is different now, there is a house on the RH hill and maybe the hint of an OB (Langham Road)? in the background, there was a signal post in about the right place too - it just feels right ……………….

EDIT

Actually on second thoughts there is too much hill on the LHS …………………..

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

I think this is the west end of the original Ivybridge station site adjacent Blachford Road, the UB is different now, there is a house on the RH hill and maybe the hint of an OB (Langham Road)? in the background, there was a signal post in about the right place too - it just feels right ……………….

EDIT

Actually on second thoughts there is too much hill on the LHS …………………..

To me, it looks like the area near Bodmin where a friend of ours used to live; Glynn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

To me, it looks like the area near Bodmin where a friend of ours used to live; Glynn.

I don't think that it is in the immediate environs of Bodmin Road (Parkway) - which, as a local and a regular visitor to the signalbox cafe, I know quite well.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wondered whether it might be somewhere between Penwithers Junction and Chacewater.

My first thought was to wonder if it could be the same location as this 

10419788446_79a016bbd8_z.jpgAPR 74 24. An unidentified Class 52 crosses a viaduct between Chacewater and Truro with the 14:40 Penzance-Paddington, April 17 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

viewed in the opposite direction from the other end of the viaduct.

Or it could be a bit further along the line towards Truro. The general character of the topgraphy is similar - a relatively shallow valley cutting through a level plateau.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

I reckon this is just east of Buckshead Tunnel, near Tresillian (east of Truro) - the topography, curvature and short viaduct look right. I took a trio of photos here on a very hot 24/6/76 from the raised ground to the left of the train, and the isolated farmhouse on the hill in the distance looks to be visible in one of them (sorry, I am unable to post this pic at the moment but it can be found on the Cornwall Railway Society's website under Cornwall Galleries, Buckshead to St Austell including Goods Yard section - look for the D1041 shot and see what you think).

I recall this day quite vividly because I was suffering sunburn after stupidly spending too long in the sea at Fistral the previous day!!

Edited by Neil Phillips
Edit to make it clearer where I was standing with camera!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There doesn't appear to be short viaduct east of Buckshead Tunnel, at least until the line is east of Polperro Tunnel. This may be where you are referring too? There seems to be a paintball / adventure place next to the viaduct now. I think the isolated farmhouse is possibly the one behind the telegraph pole in your shot of D1041. It has been extended since if so.

1951242_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/1951242_orig.jpg

• Like 3

That's the one, and yes you're quite right, I've checked again and it's east of Polperro tunnel, not Buckshead - my mistake. I also agree that in the c18 years between the two photos the farmhouse has had a lot of outbuildings added - assuming that it IS the same location of course, but I'm reasonably confident.....

I remember being frustrated at the position of that telegraph pole, but if I took  3 steps backwards to try to shoot 'around' it I was too low, such was the steepness of the field at that point.

Looking at the design of the side grilles I think the Warship is D600 or D601. But then it usually is in shots with the CRE headboard on display (weren't these the only two with the necessary brackets?)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think the shot of D7007 at Severn Tunnel Junction is more likely late 1967 or early 1968 as D7007 looks shiny to me, certainly by 1970 she was pretty bedraggled as I recall, also there is a Gy Brush Type 4 lurking, by 1970/71 these were pretty rare with half yellow ends.

Kevin

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow time flies hadn't realised it's a year or so since I posted here. Still picking up the occasional slide, but the budget for them is tight having invested significantly in my model railway infrastructure recently (new ECoS and associated switchpilots and hex frog juicers).

however picked this classic up, D601 and D604 at Pantyffynnon on 5th November 1967. A period when three D6XX were transferred to Landore to work coal trains in the area to support the loss of class 37s to the ER and Scotland. They were unfortunately not successful and returned to Laira in late November 1967 and withdrawn the following month.

A very rare shot of D6XXs which I was delighted to add to my collection and of course as with all I post my copyright.

merry Xmas all albeit a socially distanced one.

IMG_0811.PNG.c988d295503da2d5c859072f4a411439.PNG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

And whilst I'm on this thread I thought I'd post a preserved shots of D1015 (OPs privilege - I wouldn't like this thread to become a preservation gallery). I was very kindly treated by Phil Bullock to a day running up and down the Severn valley railway recently hauled by D1015 and 40 106, and what a thoroughly enjoyable day it was (thanks again Phil!).IMG_1451.PNG.636570e28395f983682997e05b283e1c.PNG

• Like 7

Good morning Downendian

Thank you for posting.

Happy Christmas and a brighter 2021 to you and all in this corner of the Parish.

The D600s at Panttyffynon is bloody marvellous, and  I love D1015 in BSYP.

Always thought BSYP really suited the two D800s it was applied to, and also, IMHO, was the best livery on the Hymeks (as long as it was with white window surrounds a la D7036 and not that bloody awful all over blue on D7007). Who'd have thought white window surrounds would make such a difference?

Love anything to do with hydraulics.  

Best Regards

Matt W

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2015 at 14:01, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Trying to narrow down what the green D8XX might be.

In the meantime let's go back to June 1968 and watch the up Cornish Riviera approach Teignmouth behind D822 and D827........

post-6880-0-00904300-1423317690.jpg

Does anyone know what time of day that would have passed Teignmouth?

That looks like the stretch of track between Teignmouth Docks and the station, with the left-over sleepers after the siding had been lifted from behind the up platform.

• Like 1