1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Did the D6334 photo get disappeared?

Does Exe Rails photos still exist?

(no results from a Google search)

Seconded - I looked recently and couldn't find them either. 

If defunct does anyone know what the status of images purchased from that source would be now?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought this image might be worth posting, although it may bring tears to a few eyes - 6319 stood outside Swindon Works on 7/10/72, just before The Great Mistake was committed......... It had still been at Bristol SPM 7 days earlier.

Interestingly the next number I wrote down was D1015 marked 'ex-works', followed by Bfy 7606 + Gfy 7602 on 1Z28 military special. Then I cleared off to GWS Didcot for the day - my first visit there (I'd only arrived in the Swindon area a month earlier).

The shunters (FWIW) were 3012 & 3962. Despite the gloom I've just noticed that the brake van appears to be one of the older ex-LNER examples with short footboards and no end concrete ballast weights. At the time a brake van was just a brake van.....! It's also overendowed with OHLE flashes.

301934695_721007_D6319SwindonWorks.jpg.6564757f409f1ef75f3c7ef62458c0f8.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2021 at 07:23, Enterprisingwestern said:

1V72 would have been an inter-regional train but without my WTT to hand it could be any. Probably came on at BTM if it was a NE/SW train.

Mike.

Just catching up on this thread.

1V72 was the Cornishman wasn't it? Bradford-Penzance, ran every day all year round.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2015 at 21:41, jonny777 said:

That's a shame, because (and this is a long, long shot) I have just found that D856 did work 1V72  the 0733 Liverpool to Paignton forward from Temple Meads on Saturday 23rd August 1969.

It then worked the empty stock to NA and was stabled on the depot.

Edited; to say, furthermore - D807 worked 1V68 from Bristol that day, which was the 0830 Nottingham to Paignton, so would most likely have been at NA as well later in the day.

D845 is unlikely (if this madness is correct) because it worked the 1135 Kingswear to Paddington throughout, so probably spent the night at Old Oak Common.

D852 was in store at NA at that time.

8 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Just catching up on this thread.

1V72 was the Cornishman wasn't it? Bradford-Penzance, ran every day all year round.

From (flakey) memory, wasn't The Cornishman 1V70? There wasn't a 1V72 on the NE/SW route in 1969 at least.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you are quite right about 1V70.

Now I have been able to check my 1969/70 WTT, 1V72 was the 08.33 SO Liverpool LS – Paignton, which as alluded to by jonny777 way back in 2015, was worked back ECS to Newton Abbot at 16.18 as 5C90.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Weren't me.

I'm happy to keep prices down by not bidding for any picture, but am eternally grateful for those that share on here.

Kev.

(Who only has a few phots but has freely given, here, wherever appropriate.)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well thanks to this thread I'm now £120 worse off and have another loco waiting weathering, not only that but I must now find a justification for a Western appearing on an ScR theme layout! Blue Westerns are now are now quite rare on Ebay but I found A Dapol one which will become D1065, chosen because way back on page 37 the OP posted consecutive pictures usefully showing both sides of the loco. I'm looking forward to the weathering challenge, here is the picture that did it, I'm sure the OP won't mind it appearing here again!

D1065 pic 3.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And no doubt the OP will soon be along to point out Consort’s unique horn cowl at one end Bob! ;)

Oh dear, I find Westerns very difficult to ID, in terms of which end/side I'm looking at. With diesel electrics there's the rads/fans to aid orientation so it's easy to ascertain even with photos from different sites and locations which end or side you're looking. Once I get the loco in my hands it might be easier, I do notice that the fire pull cord recess is off set, so is that towards the A or B end? Good job the Fox site wasn't accepting payments this AM or I might have already ordered the plates for 1065!

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Oh dear, I find Westerns very difficult to ID, in terms of which end/side I'm looking at. With diesel electrics there's the rads/fans to aid orientation so it's easy to ascertain even with photos from different sites and locations which end or side you're looking. Once I get the loco in my hands it might be easier, I do notice that the fire pull cord recess is off set, so is that towards the A or B end? Good job the Fox site wasn't accepting payments this AM or I might have already ordered the plates for 1065!

Currently having a debate here whether the position of the fire pull cord recess is consistently located when comparing locos. The difficulty in telling which end is which with hydraulics is probably why Swindon labelled the cabs ….

17 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

D1065 Western Consort 1.49 MB · 3 downloads

This photo from @Trev52Ashows the cowl Bob. But don’t know whether that’s A or B end. Am sure @Downendianwill know….

That's a really useful picture, I'd sort of spotted that and dismissed it as some background platform stuff! As for the A or B end I'm glad I'm not alone!

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

D1065 Western Consort 1.49 MB · 3 downloads

This photo from @Trev52Ashows the cowl Bob. But don’t know whether that’s A or B end. Am sure @Downendianwill know….

Well I had to check Phil -it’s the A end. Trev’s photo in his thread here is the best shot I’ve seen of the cowl. Despite some saying it was merely damaged, I’m convinced it was an official modification.

i

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Downendian said:

Well I had to check Phil -it’s the A end. Trev’s photo in his thread here is the best shot I’ve seen of the cowl. Despite some saying it was merely damaged, I’m convinced it was an official modification.

i

You can also see it in this

AUG 74 32. 1065 Western Consort with the 12:40 Penzance-Paddington east of Bruton, August 16 1974

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

This photo also shows it quite well and confirms the No 1 end as its taken from the other side and shows the vertical panel on the bodyside fitted at No 1 end only.

BR599 D1065 @ Westbury 4-76 | A trainload of MSV's that were… | Flickr

That's a handsome photo at that link Brushman.

Never knew about the M shaped cowl. 

I so wish I'd been a little older and had a decent camera to record the sights of the hydraulics.  So many memories (unreliable) of them at Dawlish. 

I'd either sit in a bay window at the long since demolished Beach Hotel on Marine Parade, or on the wall up near the Langstone Rock (people calling it Red Rock grinds my gears- it's an old git thing), listening to the rails sing and wondering what would come round the heavily canted curve.

It's the succession of freights, and a lot of it, that image of Consort on the MSVs reminds me of.  The up milk was always my fave - sounded heavy, loco (usually a Western till 77) always working hard blasting out of Kennaway tunnel, and 6 wheeled tanks really had a distinctive rhythm over any rail joints.

Same at Merehead on the way down to Devon, I'd have my head pressed to the windows of my Dad's MG 1300 saloon to see what was lined up for the Stone trains.

Love this thread. As us hydraulic aficionados know, it's quality not quantity.  Don't get me wrong , I love a 25, 45 and 46, the Western namer 47s were always different.  50s became interesting on naming to me. Lord, I'd probably go misty eyed over a 120 dmu now.....my passion will always be hydraulic though.

Great photos. 

Matt W

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Matt captures my sentiments exactly. I only became aware of hydraulics in 1974 when a school friend mentioned he’d been to Swindon to see the first few Western casualties and that the WR were fighting the mighty BR to keep the remaining fleet running as long as possible. Family holidays to Highbridge in the 1960s meant I certainly saw maroon Warships and Westerns, and perhaps class 22s and Hymeks on the sole surviving working  section of the Somerset and Dorset - the Bason bridge milks. Numbers never collected back then, but I feel fortunate to have seen the final few Hymeks working and most of the Westerns.

I was saving this info for the on this day in history thread, but approaching 44 years ago on Sunday 24 October 1976 I saw four in service in one day at Bristol Parkway. Not a rare occurrence in 1974/5, but after that date I was lucky to see the odd one. The locos concerned were D1013 (unknown service) D1022 (unknown service); D1036 (8Z23); D1065  (1B33) workings taken from Mark Alden’s excellent records. Sadly it was the last time I saw D1036 and D1065 working. Sundays in late 1976 saw many diverted services from the Berks and Hants due to ongoing HST works.

Neil 

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to take this one off track but it is great to see why others got so hooked on these beasts. Living in Chesterfield my staple diet was DE’s however all my family still lived in Wales so when I had the chance to go to stay I did. The first ever Western I saw, well actually heard was whilst watching Newport County at Somerton Park on a dark Friday evening, I was speechless and there the story began chasing the Hydralics around. Two regrets 1 - Never seeing D1005 the only one missing 2 - Growing up into a teenager and finding other things and missing 1976, well at least I had a good few years chasing these guys. Love this thread let’s have more please cheers Steve

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, w124bob said:

The Western competes  with a Type 4 brush, sorry couldn't resist that.

1056 on Paddington.

No contest Bob although I think the diesel electric lobby May bristle at that…

• Funny 4

On 26/10/2021 at 22:13, Phil Bullock said:

No contest Bob although I think the diesel electric lobby May bristle at that…

Nah,that'll just be the duff bashers,but they don't count as they've spent so long in air cons they don't remember what a 47 sounds like anymore. 

Rob

• Funny 2

Now I know this is for photos of real locos but I did say this thread was directly responsible the purchase of a completely unnecessary Western, well here's a sneak peak at Western Consort in Dewsbury! More piccies tomorrow in the Dapol Class 52 thread after editing.

20211101_190937.jpg

• Like 8