18 hours ago, w124bob said:

Now I know this is for photos of real locos but I did say this thread was directly responsible the purchase of a completely unnecessary Western, well here's a sneak peak at Western Consort in Dewsbury! More piccies tomorrow in the Dapol Class 52 thread after editing.

20211101_190937.jpg

Link to more pictures https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133390-another-run-of-Dapol-westerns/page/3/#comments

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 21:52, w124bob said:

The Western competes  with a Type 4 brush, sorry couldn't resist that.

1056 on Paddington.

Is this one of your photos Bob or someone else's...? I'd like to post it in the Old Oak staff facebook group with due credit if that's ok ;).

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Is this one of your photos Bob or someone else's...? I'd like to post it in the Old Oak staff facebook group with due credit if that's ok ;).

Not a picture of mine, just one I found via Flickr.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I’m still picking up the occasional copyright neg/slide, but the accurascale budget has been recently all consuming, and much time committed to previously neglected rolling stock projects. One has been the building of a rake of GWR design Herring ballast hoppers, so I was delighted to see a photo of D7010 near Cheltenham on a rake of them. A stunner and will serve as reference for when I get the rake in action-
13473E8E-334F-49A5-86AA-55515141E11A.jpeg.eba9670f0f7ed36c9b02ee5d609f9d9d.jpeg

D 6XX NBL warships are hens teeth shots, so I didn’t expect to win this but did so this evening, I had expected it to fetch in excess of £50 but was much less than that. Very pleased to say this is now my copyright D603 at the site of Mutley station, Plymouth in the early 1960s. Taken before the multi-storey car park was built, I’m familiar with the location but it has changed a fair bit.

996D8407-096C-4F0E-9158-845D1A3A8A63.jpeg.f5ddbdea75a185fe04fc15cfa5d5e4fd.jpeg

both images are my copyright, please do not post elsewhere without my permission.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Downendian said:

... previously neglected rolling stock projects. One has been the building of a rake of GWR design Herring ballast hoppers ...

Blimey, I feel your pain.   I built seven of them for a customer and it was an ordeal (the seventh was an incomplete kit and I had to make/bodge quite a bit of it).

16 hours ago, Downendian said:

Well I’m still picking up the occasional copyright neg/slide, but the accurascale budget has been recently all consuming, and much time committed to previously neglected rolling stock projects. One has been the building of a rake of GWR design Herring ballast hoppers, so I was delighted to see a photo of D7010 near Cheltenham on a rake of them. A stunner and will serve as reference for when I get the rake in action-
13473E8E-334F-49A5-86AA-55515141E11A.jpeg.eba9670f0f7ed36c9b02ee5d609f9d9d.jpeg

D 6XX NBL warships are hens teeth shots, so I didn’t expect to win this but did so this evening, I had expected it to fetch in excess of £50 but was much less than that. Very pleased to say this is now my copyright D603 at the site of Mutley station, Plymouth in the early 1960s. Taken before the multi-storey car park was built, I’m familiar with the location but it has changed a fair bit.

996D8407-096C-4F0E-9158-845D1A3A8A63.jpeg.f5ddbdea75a185fe04fc15cfa5d5e4fd.jpeg

both images are my copyright, please do not post elsewhere without my permission.

Neil

Nice. So it wasn't only Class 22s which shed various bits of side valance. I sometimes wonder if any of these still exist, hidden in former Western Regional lineside vegetation......🤔

Edited by Halvarras
Clarification - the WR no longer exists!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple more added this week.

D1026 Western Centurion at Westbury July 1975

My prototypical memories of this particular loco start the previous summer. Laira were repainting Westerns at a very late stage in their careers, and included silver embellishments to valance  footsteps and window surrounds. D1026 had this treatment in July 1974, no sign of it here a year later, and if it wasn’t for a single photo I’ve found  and one of Adrian Curtis’s fine studies on these repaints I would have believed my memory was wrong. I remember it looked absolutely stunning, and very different to her work worn sisters seen in the same period.

745F51B3-5D07-410C-A150-AEA037D18F14.jpeg.93c70eee9b21803ccd41e2094663c21a.jpeg

Next D1043 at the classic 52 location of Reading. 
861DDBB8-9913-4CDC-980A-1606F58DEC53.jpeg.707187efbbe84dfdc63fb68945e52f1a.jpeg

Neil 

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 11

On 06/08/2022 at 11:30, Downendian said:

A couple more added this week.

D1026 Western Centurion at Westbury July 1975

My prototypical memories of this particular loco start the previous summer. Laira were repainting Westerns at a very late stage in their careers, and included silver embellishments to valance  footsteps and window surrounds. D1026 had this treatment in July 1974, no sign of it here a year later, and if it wasn’t for a single photo I’ve found  and one of Adrian Curtis’s fine studies on these repaints I would have believed my memory was wrong. I remember it looked absolutely stunning, and very different to her work worn sisters seen in the same period.

745F51B3-5D07-410C-A150-AEA037D18F14.jpeg.93c70eee9b21803ccd41e2094663c21a.jpeg

So Centurion must have looked like this when you saw it then.......

1066558726_740629_D1026Readingnp.jpg.26b9bbd9f2923fdb621031e5addd4daa.jpg.......my photo of it at Reading on 29th June 1974. According to Adrian C's 'Western Liveries' book D1026's Laira repaint occurred 25-29/6/74 so the paint may have still been a bit tacky in places! Note that the exhaust soot also indicates only one direction of travel since repainting. I didn't know it at the time but the other side was missing its double arrow logo! (It wasn't alone, D1006 also ran arrowless on one side for a while but I think both were quickly corrected). A pity that Laira didn't appear to have a stock of new OHLE flashes to finish the job properly but they weren't that important in a WR setting back then. Note also that these pics show the same side of the loco, in my photo the 'D' prefix has been painted out but a year later it has 'reappeared'. This was quite common and I often wondered whether somebody armed with a piece of abrasive paper was going around sanding them back to life! 

Edited by Halvarras
My pic was in wrong position....d'oh!
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting this Halvarras - yes my first sighting of D1026 was July 1974. It’s a Western modification (and a simple touch up with white/silver paint) that I rarely see modelled. A few of my fleet will be so treated, they did look stunning, and at the time we hoped that Laira could keep these wonderful machines running a lot longer - which they did for a few years.

Neil 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

To think we're eating that stuff when we eat sorrel... oxalic acid is what gives it that tang.

Don’t think I have ever eaten sorrel! Clue is in the Latin name I guess …. Oxalis 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

To think we're eating that stuff when we eat sorrel... oxalic acid is what gives it that tang.

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Don’t think I have ever eaten sorrel! Clue is in the Latin name I guess …. Oxalis 

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Related to rhubarb, IIRC, but with a lower concentration of Oxalic Acid.   Quite palatable when used with eggs or cheese.

Every day is a school day!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...