Thanks Brian, for that link.

Another photo site that I was unaware of.

However, I wonder if their captioning leaves something to be desired, as photo no. 30 in the BR Early Diesels section purports to show D1007 heading 1M13 passing Old Oak Common on 21/8/62, but the loco has no yellow panel, just yellow around the buffer beam and front skirt.

Is this correct?

• RMweb Gold

However, I wonder if their captioning leaves something to be desired, as photo no. 30 in the BR Early Diesels section purports to show D1007 heading 1M13 passing Old Oak Common on 21/8/62, but the loco has no yellow panel, just yellow around the buffer beam and front skirt.

Is this correct?

D1007 definitely had a yellow bufferbeam and extending down as show in that photo - I saw it when new off trials outside A Shop and have posted a pic in the past.

What I can't say is the date when the yellow bufferbeam was replaced by an 'ordinary' yellow panel but several of the Swindon built maroon thousands definitely ran in traffic with the original yellow arrangement like that.

• RMweb Gold

Is this correct?

Yellow buffer beams from 01/08/62 to 29/11/62.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Astonished to win this one. A little over a fiver for a copyright class 43 slide.

D847 Strongbow on a LCGB rail tour - edit 20th April 1969, Bulmers Woodpecker rail tour.

I don't know why this was so cheap they normally go for £30+, I was lucky I suppose. A slide of D7053 the same evening went for £28!

Neil

post-6925-0-37539000-1430494508_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 7

Nice!

Looks like it might be the LCGB Woodpecker Railtour of 20 April 1969. Is that a woodpecker on the other headboard? Location Ashchurch?

Yes I reckon you are right, looking at the photostream that the above Flickr shot is in George Woods pictured it at Reading, Ashchurch, and Hereford,

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

Looks like we are in agreement! There are plenty of other photos of the tour on that Flickr link. Not a bad tour fro haulage, Class 74, 2 x NBLs, and a big steamer......

Strongbow was an appropriate choice for a visit to Bulmers cider country!

Edit: corrected SR electric loco class

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

Looks like we are in agreement! There are plenty of other photos of the tour on that Flickr link. Not a bad tour fro haulage, Class 71, 2 x NBLs, and a big steamer......

Strongbow was an appropriate choice for a visit to Bulmers cider country!

It has taken me until about 30 seconds ago to realise the significance of Strongbow,  very poor considering my RMWeb name!

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff folks!

I wonder if that was the day we took our GW BLT layout to Bulmers at Hereford - St Johns Model Railway Circle, railway interested gang from Worcester Royal Grammar

If so had a footplate ride on 6000 during which some orrible erbert grabbed the Brunel timber fan viaduct on the layout and ripped it up

As for D847 - that working went through Abbotswood, got to model that when the Bacchy 43s are out shortly....

Phil

Where would they have done the loco change at Reading?  3rd rail only lead into platforms 4a and b.

Julian Sprott

They'd have had no problem. E6101 was a 74, not a 71. The Paxman would have been running to get it into the station.

Interesting to see that D855 took the railtour back to London Victoria. I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a Warship there.

Seem to recall seeing a phot of D821 there on a royal train working (for Emperor Hirohito) but may have imagined it.

Seem to recall seeing a phot of D821 there on a royal train working (for Emperor Hirohito) but may have imagined it.

It would have been early October, 1971; he arrived by train from Gatwick. Might a Warship have been used as steam heating was required for the Royal Train?

• RMweb Gold

More Teddy Bear eye candy - wonderful Bank holiday viewing, many thanks

Amazing to think D9502 still has that paintwork

http://www.railblue.com/pages/SOTP/D9502_PR_230405.htm

Has now moved to Bury for long awaited restoration - http://www.elrdiesel.info/fleet-d9502.php#start- unlike poor old D9522, must have been one of the first to have been cut up but her spirit lives on - http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Class_14_loco.html

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Chaps

I'm back with a few more Teds for you to enjoy

Cheers GARETH

D9502 BTM 9TH JAN 65

D9502 TUFFS JN 28TH MARCH 66

D9522 BTM

D9527 PASSING STANDISH 1ST MARCH 67

With a train of that length, it tends to make one think is D9502 awaiting a crew change,a fitter, or replacement off Bath Road ?

First class shots again Gareth.

Brian R

• Like 1

Was it defintiely 821? I doesn't look like it was bulled up for the job, judging by this photo taken a month later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9736503588

According to the DTG website, yes. They state it worked 1X01 from Victoria to Gatwick on 5th October 71. D827 was the stand by.

The phot you linked was taken almost five weeks later. I have to say I think it looks pretty fresh in that for a Warship that late on.

• RMweb Gold

With a train of that length, it tends to make one think is D9502 awaiting a crew change,a fitter, or replacement off Bath Road ?

First class shots again Gareth.

Brian R

Loco only 7 months old - looks like there is much joviality - or its commiseration and peering at the jackshaft drive!

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Chaps

I'm back with a few more Teds for you to enjoy

Cheers GARETH

D9522 BTM

Assuming D9522 isn't broken it could well be a local transfer from Bristol West Depot to Bristol East Depot which is pretty much on the level

even a class 08 is shown for 510 tonnes in the local loads book, and from Temple Meads to East Depot a class 08 could take 930 tonnes!

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Chaps

Here's a shot of D9555 and BV at Glyncorrwg this colliery was the place where D9529 less than 6 months old fell over on it's side on the 15th June 1965,it took to cranes to right the loco which then spent some time in Swindon works being repaired.

D9529 today is on the NVR and i'm told by its onwers it's still carries some of the scars of this derailment.     

The others 2 shots are of 55 again Lydney Town and approaching the Tuffs area.

Cheers GARETH

• Like 14