• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike

I guess the Valley Men's opinion was coloured by the ability to stop loaded coal trains going down hill!!!

Rather different to working a Worcester - Padd or Portsmouth - Cardiff

Its always fascinating to hear the view from the professionals. IIRC weren't there instances of Hymeks twisting their cardans as a result of over - enthusiastic power applications?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Tell me about it.

I remember a slide of a 22 taken somewhere in Cornwall, that sold on Ebay for over £100.

I'm afraid that I cannot stretch to that kind of money, so thanks for sharing what you do have - especially given the prices you may have paid for some of them.

EDITED: to say that I found the link that I sent to a friend, and my estimate from memory was way too low. The slides was of D6328 at Calstock in 1971 and it finished on £205.01

Just to underline Jonny's point- this is quite an expensive pastime. Here are some of the slides I've recently lost on ebay -way way beyond what I'm prepared to pay but does show the appeal of the hydraulics. Rarer liveries, class 22s, D600 warships (the rarest of the rare), class 43s all demand premium prices.

D1047 Western Lord, bsyp £42.89

D847 superb £24.25

D6319 being cut at Swindon £40.56

D856 black and white neg £37.00

I'd much rather images be on public display (hence why I'm posting) and I've long held the opinion that there are thousands of valuable records of our railway heritage either disposed of, collecting dust in lofts and in invisible collections.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Peter - how many more I wonder? Warship on 1F33 at Hereford? You might expect Strongbow!

But point of order for Neil - D849 = Superb, sorry! :-)IIRC she carried the most variations of BFYE

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Yes, negatives or slides of hydraulics do tend to fetch silly money these days; but it is not just them, even class 50s are beginning to creep up in price - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-35mm-Railway-Slide-50027-August-1986-/191490403310?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2c95b7abee

• RMweb Gold

Yes, negatives or slides of hydraulics do tend to fetch silly money these days; but it is not just them, even class 50s are beginning to creep up in price - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-35mm-Railway-Slide-50027-August-1986-/191490403310?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2c95b7abee

No accounting for taste!!!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Some Hymeks to start the week.

Slide 1 was won just last night, I don't have the original yet but will get a cleaner scan as this looks a bit dirty. 6552 pilots D7045 near Keynsham on 2 September 1972. It appears D7045 has failed on The 0952 Weymouth-Bristol and is being rescued by the BRCW. However note no less than three BGs at the front of the train.

post-6925-0-29263400-1422870583_thumb.jpg

Slide 2 is the death knell of D7095 at Swindon, previously posted in Phill Dyson's detailing thread. 1971/2

post-6925-0-57183100-1422870606_thumb.jpg

Slide 3 is another unknown location and slide in the post. A water filler obscures the number here but it is D703X, I will check the other end when I have the slide. Help with location, it must be easy?

post-6925-0-61416500-1422870631_thumb.jpg

Slide 4 is D7002 entering Temple Meads in 1963. It is quite early in its life as it has not yet had the air horns placed on the roof. The first few Hymeks had the horns mounted around the buffer beam.

post-6925-0-86492100-1422870659_thumb.jpg

The final slide is a broadside of the Doyenne of the class at Bristol Bath road, D7000, 1964. My Grandfather worked here until 1973, and as a child I was taken there (unfortunately rarely) and used to do engine room walkthroughs. I can remember being terrified that someone would start the loco up as we were halfway through. The locos I must have seen at BR in the late 1960s and early 1970s but have no record of!

post-6925-0-05879100-1422870696_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

That signal box looks familiar! Isn't the location the West end of Swindon station before rebuilding?

Cheers

Phil

It is indeed the west end of Swindon Phil - the Hymek is standing on the Down Platform Line.

As to bits of errant Cardan Saft I never had that sort of experience with Hymeks but I once spent most of an Easter weekend trying to find and collect the universal coupling and shaft from an final drive off a 1000 which parted company with the loco as it passed Blatchbridge Jcn on Maundy Thursday - nice sunny weather and just down the road from where I lodged so not too unpleasant a task and I managed to find most of it for the M&EE folk to play with.  the train had duly carried on at full bore!

Hymeks suffered engine and gearbox problems, especially the latter, due to too enthusiastic use of the power handle.

How I missed this thread for almost a week beggars belief.

Keep 'em coming Neil.

Brian R

PS

Not boasting but saw all my 'thousands', all my 'Hymeks' and all my 'nine-fivers' .

Missed one Warship - "828 Magnificent" even passed the dump whilst she was there, but she was off her bogies and couldn't be seen from the main line.

My biggest 'holes' were in the columns of "'six-threers".

PS

Not boasting but saw all my 'thousands', all my 'Hymeks' and all my 'nine-fivers' .

Missed one Warship - "828 Magnificent" even passed the dump whilst she was there, but she was off her bogies and couldn't be seen from the main line.

My biggest 'holes' were in the columns of "'six-threers".

You have my sympathy Brian, needing just one of a class which seems to be avoiding you.

828 was not the easiest Warship to see if you were situated on the WR, (unless you were at Exeter) because it seemed to spend a lot of time working Waterloo trains, although it did venture to Plymouth and Paignton occasionally.

• Like 1

You have my sympathy Brian, needing just one of a class which seems to be avoiding you.

828 was not the easiest Warship to see if you were situated on the WR, (unless you were at Exeter) because it seemed to spend a lot of time working Waterloo trains, although it did venture to Plymouth and Paignton occasionally.

Unfortunately, my earliest spotting notes (i.e. late 60s to 1970)  vanished into the ether, but from my remaining notebooks it appears my most common Warships were 808,855 & 857, whereas 809 was  most noteworthy - disrupting 'double English' as it passed my school on 26th. May,1971 working the daily Avonmouth - Radyr and return - it wasn't a 'cop' but its pock marked faded MFYE livery made it such a sad sight.

Brian R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Quite envious Brian

I started spotting in 1971, but had no idea what locos were what (except the blue-grey Pullmans), and all notes were lost, but started seriously again in 1974, when most Westerns were still in traffic and ten Hymeks. I'd really wished I'd taken more care in the early 1970s and must have seen Warships and D63XXs in service but have no recollection of them.

Edit: not strictly true I remember "small" and "large" red diesels and milk trains traversing the S&DJR at Highbridge en route to Bason bridge in the late 1960s a great aunt had house adjacent to the station at Walrow. Hope to post more this evening if I get time.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more this evening- but as i keep repeating myself, there's probably four times the amount I've already posted still to scan, and guess what dicky scanner!

First though is the summer of '69, I know posted before but a long time ago, so for the benefit of new Rmwebbers :). A wonderful scene of a Hydraulic in its heyday.

D1032 Western Marksman at Thingley junction

post-6925-0-20995900-1422994146_thumb.jpg

Next a "rescued" neg that was in a bit of a state, a bit of photoshopping to clean up scratches- must try and get youngest daughter on this as she's a photoshop expert- but Dad's trains isn't on her bucket list! So apologies for the quality. Edit - need to work on exposure (note to self!)

D1052 Western Viceroy Cardiff in August 1975, note the two cab ventilators built into the brow of the cab roof peak, just visible.

post-6925-0-89034900-1422994188_thumb.jpg

Thirdly, another early Hymek shot, at Kemble 28th March 1964, D7003

post-6925-0-05686000-1422994223_thumb.jpg

Fourth- the last year of Hymek passenger duty, 1973. D7023 at Paddington

post-6925-0-98327200-1422994282_thumb.jpg

Last but not least D7085, 1971 -Cardiff Canton

post-6925-0-94054500-1422994307_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 16

A few more this evening- but as i keep repeating myself, there's probably four times the amount I've already posted still to scan, and guess what dicky scanner!

First though is the summer of '69, I know posted before but a long time ago, so for the benefit of new Rmwebbers :). A wonderful scene of a Hydraulic in its heyday.

D1032 Western Marksman at Clink Road junction

attachicon.gifD1032 Clink Road junction 1969.jpg

D1032 at Clink Road Junction in 1969 is a bit of an oddity as Mark 2a/b air-braked stock was not regularly on the West of England line at the time.  The formation is mainly Mark 2b stock and looks like a Bristol/South Wales set from around 1969-70 when the BFK was marshalled next to the BG.  If it is heading for London, the set is back to front as the BG was usually at the Bristol End.  The formation is approximately BG, BFK, 4 TSO, RB, FO, 2 FK, TSO (this looks to be a Mark 2a).  I cannot find a 1A13 in the 1969-70 Paddington Station Workings book.  It was a Swansea or Fishguard-Paddington train in May 1971.

Edit 1A13 was the up South Wales Pullman in 1969-70 - 0700 Swansea-Paddington.

Edited by robertcwp

Ah - it's Thingley junction not Clink road, will edit

That makes more sense.  If the headcode should be 1B13 then it would be the 1345 Paddington-Bristol and the formation would be correct for the Saturday train.

Clearly a later shot than this one as the telegraph poles have disappeared:

2990115126_94abbbd65a.jpgD1010_ThingleyJ by robertcwp, on Flickr

• Like 2