Another rarity picked up this morning, D7051 in small yellow panel livery with blue window surrounds. Only three Hymeks had this livery D7004 and D7007 were the others. I paid £3.71 for this, an absolute bargain considering it's such a hen's teeth livery, although being underexposed I suspect reduced the price . The details with the slide state it's taken at Keynsham, but I can't recognise where. It's possible but I didn't know the location so well in the late 1960s early 1970s, any help here appreciated.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

Hi Neil

Good Photo, can I ask please, of the three locos in this livery which lasted the longest?

IaN

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

D7004 was repainted with white window surrounds, and eventually was repainted blue full yellow ends.

D7007 and D7051 went to the scrapyard in this livery (I think).

A full treatment of Hymek liveries was posted here a while back, but as everything should be in railway research an evolving list.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78107-complete-list-of-hymek-liveries/?p=1497524

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hmm D1024 Western Huntsman was one of the first to go, and photos of her very rare, certainly in BR blue.

It would be nice to pick up a slide of her I thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=322220060931

Now at £112.24 with over a day to go. I would dust off your Western slides folks if you don't mind selling them!

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Hmm D1024 Western Huntsman was one of the first to go, and photos of her very rare, certainly in BR blue.

Now at £112.24 with over a day to go. I would dust off your Western slides folks if you don't mind selling them!

Neil

I've got one! (but it's not for sale)

10421722633_37da5429b5_z.jpgSEP 73 16. D1024 Western Huntsman with the 09:55 Paignton-Paddington at Maidenhead, August 1 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

• Like 6

Neil

I have this one - bit underexposed and not for sale:

2189984624_ebfff38622_z.jpg?zz=1D1024_Exeter_Up_Corn_Riviera_cJan-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

In a similar vein, ie, it's a western on a milk train and it's not for sale :jester:

attachicon.gif1-MSP - 107 - 1059 Reading.jpg

Mike.

I should hope not Mike, it'll have turned to yoghurt by now. Continuing the Reading theme.

Anyhow three more purchases last night, based on selective bidding on slides that were unlikely to attract a £100 plus price tag.

First D1055 Western Advocate on probably a Stone train at Reading, two birds with one stone this one, building a rake of Parkside rebodied Hop21s (HTVs) to go behind my Westerns, I used to see them at Stoke Gifford. March 1974.

post-6925-0-90179400-1471291724_thumb.jpeg

Next D1033 Western Trooper at Reading, complete with slide blemish (here's hoping it's a hair), April 1973.

post-6925-0-58645500-1471291737_thumb.jpeg

And another of D1007 in her final year, again at Reading, September 1973.

post-6925-0-96412400-1471291760_thumb.jpeg

Neil

• Like 13

D1055 may be on a stone train, but there were domestic-coal trains from S Wales running in those days and it could be just returning coal empties.

This telephoto shot shows the varied make-up of one of these trains, behind D1062 at Slough on 5th April 1974.

post-4474-0-40607500-1471339138_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

There are many people on the internet, whose only interest is downloading other peoples copyright photos and pretending they are their own.

Fortunately with the 1mb limit on RMWeb, any request for an enlargement of their images will be ignored because the copy will pixellate.

I don't have that problem, as I took the above photos with my trusty Zenith B.

Therefore I can "blow up" the wagons, within the limits of the transparency resolution, in the hope that it benefits those who are attempting to re-create these scenes in model form...

post-4474-0-36689000-1471364483.jpg

Edited by jonny777

D1055 may be on a stone train, but there were domestic-coal trains from S Wales running in those days and it could be just returning coal empties.

This telephoto shot shows the varied make-up of one of these trains, behind D1062 at Slough on 5th April 1974.

attachicon.gifD1062 SLO 5:4:74.jpg

Several HUO (24.5t) hoppers amongst that lot; not that common a sight on coal services between South Wales and London.

Looking at Neil's photo of Western Advocate, the first wagon appears to have a line of script just above the boxed-in data and number panel. I don't suppose anyone can make out what it might say? Is it the Pool Number, or perhaps the PPM details?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Sorry I don't yet have the slide in my possession otherwise I'd take a closer look. However, I've just obtained David Larkins BR working wagons 1974-79 which has a pic of one of these rebodied Hop21s, and it indeed has what is termed a "briefly used" pool number.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Several HUO (24.5t) hoppers amongst that lot; not that common a sight on coal services between South Wales and London.

Looking at Neil's photo of Western Advocate, the first wagon appears to have a line of script just above the boxed-in data and number panel. I don't suppose anyone can make out what it might say? Is it the Pool Number, or perhaps the PPM details?

Looks more like a Pool Number but far too fuzzy to be certain.  However it looks a bit too small to me to be a stone pool number but that might be explained if it was done in works.

It's too high up the body for PPM details - unless Barton Hill had ladders.

attachicon.gifD1062 SLO 5:4:74.jpg

In 1971/1972 there were a few workings from South Wales that could produce Westerns on London bound coal trains.

e.g.

8A44  03:10 MX-Q Radyr Quarry- West Drayton 

or

8A44  02:10 MX Jersey Marine-West Drayton or Bletchley

8O15 11:45 'Q' Radyr Quarry - Hither Grn or Norwood  

Brian R 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought this on Ebay for about a fiver (can't remember without looking it up).

It is not too sharp but in reasonable nick.

A Western at Westbury on a stone train, but I can't read the name on the original. It is not very long - maybe 5 or 6 letters and not as long as Western on the nameplate. I hope that hydraulic experts can suggest which loco it might be?

post-4474-0-76260200-1472745784_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And it isn't D1012 name too short

D1071 only has headboard clips at one end so that reduces the odds of her by 50% too

Going on general condition have to agree with Neil - most likely Sultan

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm still quietly accruing hydraulic slides.

One I've recently bid on, but will not continue D1001 at Plymouth, a very nice slide.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371779026845

But £156! That's the highest price I've ever seen for a Western copyright slide.

Neil