• RMweb Gold

That's a shame, because (and this is a long, long shot) I have just found that D856 did work 1V72 the 0733 Liverpool to Paignton forward from Temple Meads on Saturday 23rd August 1969.

It then worked the empty stock to NA and was stabled on the depot.

Edited; to say, furthermore - D807 worked 1V68 from Bristol that day, which was the 0830 Nottingham to Paignton, so would most likely have been at NA as well later in the day.

D845 is unlikely (if this madness is correct) because it worked the 1135 Kingswear to Paddington throughout, so probably spent the night at Old Oak Common.

D852 was in store at NA at that time.

Returning to yesterday's debate on Warships - noticed this on eBay today, D854 at Newton Abbott, in 1969 what a wonderful shot. Edit - assuming this is the right end 854 has data panels above the number, not like my photo. 852 therefore still favourite.

If 852 was in store, wouldn't it have been in the old works shed, I remember D1014 plus a few others being put in store there a bit later?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111589185742

Neil

Edited by Downendian

If D852 was inside the works shed, then I would not have seen it so many times on my travels through the station.

The problem is that The Book Of The Warships lists 852 as stored at LA between 25th May and 26th Aug, which hardly explains how I have it down in my notebook at NA on 19th, 21st, 22nd and 26th of that month.

I could not have misread the number that many times, surely; and it must have been in the open for me to see it from the train/platform.

I presume that it was stored serviceable and like D842 (the other 43 that I have as stored NA) could have been reinstated in a short time if the need arose?

• RMweb Gold

If D852 was inside the works shed, then I would not have seen it so many times on my travels through the station.

The problem is that The Book Of The Warships lists 852 as stored at LA between 25th May and 26th Aug, which hardly explains how I have it down in my notebook at NA on 19th, 21st, 22nd and 26th of that month.

I could not have misread the number that many times, surely; and it must have been in the open for me to see it from the train/platform.

I presume that it was stored serviceable and like D842 (the other 43 that I have as stored NA) could have been reinstated in a short time if the need arose?

Sorry Jonny, I hadn't twigged that you'd actually seen 852 "in the open" so to speak. It has pretty much has sealed it for me, the two warships behind 856 are 807 and 852 (caveat emptor).

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Back from Monmouth!

Neil has very kindly sent a high res scan of the D856 picture and I refer you back to post 150 above m'lud!

Is that a data panel?

post-7138-0-79972400-1423429274.jpg

What do Mark and Martin's records show D854 as working that weekend Neil?

Cheers

Phil

Edited to remove incorrect link

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

The ebay picture of 854 in 1969 Phil shows it piloting a failed Western, at Newton Abbott, complete with guess what blue data panel. The patterns of muck along the White mid body band look similar too.

I wonder, just wonder if these pics are from the same roll of film!

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I nearly posted a wish earlier for Mr Tiger Viking to come along and add his sixpennyworth

Despite not being on here for a while he happened to drop in on this thread and guess what - he has a copy of the slide, has blown it up on screen and had already come to the opinion it was D854!

The evidence is building perhaps?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling the original copyright slide was bought from the same ebay seller -transport topics, will check.

Edit no it was Strathwood -bought the same time as the slide of D831.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Hi guys, love this piccie but please could someone confirm what the second and third vehicles are for me, I am ok with the others.

Best wishes

Simon

They're both Siphon Gs that have had the louvres partially or completely, sheeted over. The nearer one is a BR-built one, identifiable because of those sliding ventilators between the doors. The other one is a GWR-built one which had the louvres plated over for use in a Hospital Train in WW2; you'll notice it also has roof vents.

So two questions:

1. What was D854 working on 23rd/24th Aug'69?

2. Did 852 also have a data panel?

The jury waits.....

I have no info for D854 on 23rd or 24th.

I didn't see it at Exeter on the 23rd, and I had a railway-day-off on 24th.

However, on the Martin/Mark info that I have - for Friday 23rd it states - - D854, M/R (Teddington c/w switches defective).

But I am not sure precisely what that means in terms of availability.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

They're both Siphon Gs that have had the louvres partially or completely, sheeted over. The nearer one is a BR-built one, identifiable because of those sliding ventilators between the doors. The other one is a GWR-built one which had the louvres plated over for use in a Hospital Train in WW2; you'll notice it also has roof vents.

They will almost certainly have been in use as newspaper packing vans, especially as they are marshalled immediately next to a BSK - with which they would normally work on a newspaper train.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning -some more before embarking down the M5.

First D7000 leads a line of three withdrawn Hymeks at Old Oak Common, May 1974

post-6925-0-07392400-1423481752_thumb.jpg

Next a former avatar, that I used when first joined RMweb, 813 Diadem at Truro in the early 1970s on a glorious milk train

post-6925-0-22403500-1423481796_thumb.jpg

1015 Western Champion at Plymouth North road, 2nd March 1976

post-6925-0-96801000-1423481817_thumb.jpg

D1057 at Laira, 13th July 1975

post-6925-0-91185200-1423481836_thumb.jpg

And finally D1062 Western Courier, when she was first preserved- a huge sigh of relief at the time that at least one was going to survive I recall. Swindon works, 7th August 1976.

post-6925-0-99874300-1423481941_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 17

Another winning crop - thanks Neil!

Next a former avatar, that I used when first joined RMweb, 813 Dragon at Truro in the early 1970s on a glorious milk train

One typo here - 813 was Diadem. 814 was Dragon. Nice shot!

Pix

• RMweb Gold

A cracking thread. Those Hymeks at OC are ever so shiny.

Jerry

A glitch of the scanner/ Mac photo editing software I fear Jerry, Photoshop is much better, but I don't have a PC to run it. My daughter has promised to help - I bought it for her Photography GCSE.

Neil