Teignbridge (change for Upcombe branch)

Ardmore

• RMweb Gold

I have the ID Backscene (Hills and Dales 206) range on my layout and they are indeed very good :)

Me too and I like the recently introduced versions that are plastic coated and tear resistant. Their bespoke service is first class too.

• RMweb Premium

Time for some more photographs of trains in action on the layout. Although Teignbridge is a fictional location, I wanted to simulate typical traffic on the South Devon main line west of Newton Abbot around 1959-61. I'm sure the experts will be able to correct me if I have got this wrong (and I would value their comments), but I would have thought that there would have been a regular (if not daily) west-bound pick-up goods calling at the intermediate stations. Today's photographs show such a train calling at Teignbridge.

Here comes pannier tank 9633, arriving from Newton Abbot on the down main line. It will run through the station, past the down starter signal, and stop beyond the west road bridge. It will then set back into the good yard.

I'm no expert but I'm sure you are correct. Just recently I purchased a copy of 'Steam in Devon' by Peter Gray (1995) and it carries photo of the Ashburton goods just south of Dainton Tunnel with pannier 1608 in charge. The train is mainly comprised of cattle vans. There must have been other pickup goods ad milk traffic.

Here's another vote for your backscenes by the way!

In your first photo there a single deck bus. I was wondering which manufacturer as Im on the look out for a bus of this type and vintage.

All the best, Trevor.

On 08/02/2015 at 13:11, TrevorP1 said:

I'm no expert but I'm sure you are correct. Just recently I purchased a copy of 'Steam in Devon' by Peter Gray (1995) and it carries photo of the Ashburton goods just south of Dainton Tunnel with pannier 1608 in charge. The train is mainly comprised of cattle vans. There must have been other pickup goods ad milk traffic.

Here's another vote for your backscenes by the way!

In your first photo there a single deck bus. I was wondering which manufacturer as Im on the look out for a bus of this type and vintage.

All the best, Trevor.

This Western National Bristol "L" half-cab bus is a particular favorite of mine. It was built (not by me, I hasten to add) from an a-b-s models kit. I bought it about 25 years ago, at a swap-meet in Bristol. Here's a close-up picture I took a few years ago on a previous layout.

IMG_0182.jpeg.0341396c75be82197877af1d134b28bb.jpeg

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

This Western National Bristol "L" half-cab bus is a particular favorite of mine. It was built (not by me, I hasten to add) from an a-b-s models kit. I bought it about 25 years ago, at a swap-meet in Bristol. Here's a close-up picture I took a few years ago on a previous layout.

attachicon.gifIMG_0182.jpg

David

Thanks David. That's a convincing scene there. I particularly like the bus crew standing across the road.

Trevor

Evening David.

I followed you here from KL2 just out of interest. Definitely well worth the time I've spent looking through the thread.

Some stunning modelling and photography. I'm now waiting to see what else you come up with.

BTW, IMHO you should add this to the Lunester community as a Lunester Layout

David, I am enjoying this layout unfold on the forum.

Can I ask what brand your figures are standing next to the plate layers hut in post #40?

Just by way of enquiry, would any members be able to point me in the right direction of suitable figures (the brand) that cover the 1930's era please.

many thanks Andy R

Hi David

What a great layout - have really enjoyed the thread so far, especially the pictures. I love the wide open spaces you have created, and the lighting looks good too. You have made me want to get round to building my Bristol bus kit - it's been in its box for over a year now!

Looking forward to seeing this progress, and seeing some more great pics.

Regards

Les

Can I ask what brand your figures are standing next to the plate layers hut in post #40?

Hi Andy,

The two figures standing by the plate layers' hut are white metal castings from the Monty's Models / Dart Castings range (refs. MCV 21 and 22).

David

• RMweb Premium

Its interesting how some layouts just look "right" from the start. This is one of them. It captures the look and feel of the area so well, and its only getting up on its feet just now.  Well done David, this is rapidly becoming my favorite layout!.

Please keep the instalments coming

Bob C

• Like 1

Lovely looking layout. I particularly like the pictures of the vans standing on their own in the goods yard. The pictures are reminiscent of the pictures in Davis Gray's Western Region steam books. Makes me want to finish my 45xx and resurrect my Cornish branch idea.

Alex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Until now, one of the major items missing from Teignbridge has been a goods shed. Although there are a number of plastic kits and RTP resin models on the market, none are ideal in my opinion. As the goods shed will be at the front of the layout and subject to close inspection, the thickness of much of the detail on resin models is a major disadvantage. As far as the plastic kits are concerned, the Wills model is too small and not based on a GWR prototype. On the other hand, the Ratio model is about the right size for the location, and appears to be loosely based on a GWR prototype (Buckfastleigh, I believe). However, it suffers from some significant limitations. The stonework and roof tiles are far too large, too uniform in size, and lack any 3D relief. Also, the windows are far too small. Nonetheless, I thought it would make a good starting point for a bit of kit bashing.

I decided to clad the walls internally and externally with Wills dressed stonework sheets, and the roof with Wills slate sheets. As these are smaller than any of the four walls, it was necessary to weld several sheets together, and try to disguise the joins. As supplied, the internal platform is quite small, so I enlarged this and covered it with Wills paving sheets. The first two photographs show the construction in progress.

After adding doors, guttering and down pipes, and painting, the finished result looks quite good on the layout. 

IMG_2667.jpeg.43afe61eb520dd6ecdd504d9a1e17b90.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg.6c51d959bb8f99122022d333562d137b.jpeg

Thanks for viewing.

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 19