Teignbridge (change for Upcombe branch)

Ardmore

• 2 weeks later...

That really is a cracking layout. Modelling is one thing but capturing an atmosphere is so, so, difficult, yet one look at the pictures screams West Of England mainline.

Well done on an exceptional model.

• Agree 1

I find your layout quite enchanting. Love the HP advert, where did you get it?

Alan - Thanks for your comment: Wencombe was one of the inspirations for this layout. The HP advert comes from one of the Sankey Scenics 1950s billboards sheets.

David

David, thank you for your kind comments about Wencombe and the info about the advert. I really do like your layout, if I was just starting out it would inspire me. It is good to see so many excellent GWR/WR layouts on the forum and yours is one of the best.

Edited by westerner

Another part of the layout that has received some attention in recent months is the field and buildings at eastern end of the Teignbridge scene, here visible on the right in the distance.

IMG_4007.jpg.c9edb6f87654bbb4491248208974faca.jpg

In addition, there is now a gate leading into the goods yard, and a weigh bridge near the entrance. The vans in the foreground are all Bachmann models that have been detailed with screw-link or instanter couplings (Smiths). The two BR-design vans have also been fitted with tie bars (Cambrian Models). All have been weathered by GC Weathering, back in the UK (usual disclaimer).

The next photograph shows a closer view of the cottages and Royal Oak inn, looking along the road across the railway over bridge to the bus stop opposite the entrance to Station Road. The inn was constructed to my own freelance design using Wills and Ratio materials, while the cottages were made from a Wills Craftsman kit, but substituting lime washed stone sheet for the walls.  

IMG_4002.jpg.4cf2255e2d08208d0bade6dfdfe76977.jpg

The Royal Oak has acquired a substantial covering of ivy (MiniNatur, 1:160 scale), and four trees from MBR Models have appeared in the field. Note the stile in the hedge opposite the Royal Oak (Peco) and the worn down grass on the path leading from it. Blocking the entrance to the field is an MG TC whose owner might have been glimpsed in earlier photographs watching the trains from the parapet of the over bridge.

IMG_4014.jpg.9a09b024b46e8eba0fee566ccd0d63b0.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg.8cc2b9828e8ba2bdae45e74f5d5ef0e6.jpg

Thanks for looking and for your encouragement.

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The more I look at this wonderful layout the greater the inspiration I draw for my own creation. I'm about to start a winter long marathon producing trees hedges and foliage and your work gives me great ideas and I thank you for posting such excellent photographs for everyones enjoyment. 

The last section of the layout which required some scenic attention has now been completed (at least for the moment). That is the rising ground behind the up platform and in front of Station Road at Teignbridge. In an attempt to capture the typical appearance of a country GWR station, I have now 'planted' a row of 8" pine trees (from JTT Scenery Products). As these are some 30" from the front of the layout, they are less detailed than the Scots pines at Upcombe station. The first pair of photographs show the 'before' and 'after' appearance.

IMG_4000.jpg.211aed3b938e51dc990f35e067ce90e1.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg.da5492778c6a8e445ad3c2403ab82e8f.jpg

In the next pair of photographs, the goods shed is not hidden behind the large oak tree. The goods crane came from Mike's Models, longer ago than I care to recall.

IMG_4005.jpg.2d313bd55f83aed7d747d2b73a9e7263.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg.305f60087ab032c793dd35c8109f1d66.jpg

If the roofs of the buildings look different in the 'after' photographs, that is because I am in the process of weathering them. Here is a final 'after' photograph looking from the other direction. I posted the corresponding 'before' photograph last week.

IMG_4028.jpg.6f9d1f819607ecf10376667169fbf6b5.jpg

Once again, thanks for looking and for your encouragement.

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 17

David, I have just finished catching up with this wonderful thread, and I have to say your latest scenic enhancements are spot on. I was particularly taken with the pub and cottage scene - the ivy on the Royal Oak looks fantastic.

The work around the viaduct is also excellent - the new greenery really brings the scene to life. I’ll have to look out for the MBR models trees, as I’ll need some soon for my own layout and they do look the part.

Keep up the great work and keep the updates coming!

Cheers, Mike

Time for a few pictures of my favorite ex-GWR class. Here is no. 7020 'Gloucester Castle' speeding through Teignbridge on a down express. This model came from the "A Date with the Duchy" set that I acquired second-hand, and started life as no. 7036 'Taunton Castle'. It has been updated from the early emblem on the tender to the later crest as the layout is set in 1959-1960. The undersized plastic smokebox dart has been replaced with a Markits brass version which (I think) greatly improves the appearance of the model.

attachicon.gifIMG_3603.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3606.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3607.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3610.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

David

Hi...

I just love that footbridge....

Regards

Bob

Hi...

I just love that footbridge....

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

The footbridge is a modified ex-Hornby kit (R 481) which is now part of the Gaugemaster Fordhampton range. I described the modifications I made elsewhere:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95033-gaugemaster-fordhampton-structures-oo4mm-scale/

All the best.

David

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been quite a while since I last posted anything on this topic. Work was progressing, somewhat more slowly than before, and then we decided to move home earlier this year. So, in the space of four days at the beginning of March, we sold our house near Atlanta and bought one near Athens (Georgia not Greece, before anyone asks). The move itself took place over three days in mid-April: right in the middle of the COVID-19 outbreak here.

That meant the layout had to be dismantled (no small task), the stock packed up, and everything transported 50 miles to our new home, before being reassembled. That work is now almost complete, and test running is in progress. All being well, I will post some pictures of Teignbridge (and Upcombe) in the near future.

David 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2