Teignbridge (change for Upcombe branch)

Ardmore

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ardmore said:

Well, it's been quite a while since I last posted anything on this topic. Work was progressing, somewhat more slowly than before, and then we decided to move home earlier this year. So, in the space of four days at the beginning of March, we sold our house near Atlanta and bought one near Athens (Georgia not Greece, before anyone asks). The move itself took place over three days in mid-April: right in the middle of the COVID-19 outbreak here.

That meant the layout had to be dismantled (no small task), the stock packed up, and everything transported 50 miles to our new home, before being reassembled. That work is now almost complete, and test running is in progress. All being well, I will post some pictures of Teignbridge (and Upcombe) in the near future.

David 

Bigger railway room?

When we began looking for a new home, my wife was quite insistent that it had to have a room that was large enough to house the layout. I wasn't going to argue with that, and when we found a place that suited our needs, the basement came with a games room and pool table as well! The layout is 16' X 12' and it fits into the available space with about 2" to spare at either end. The fact that I now have access to the rear of the storage sidings is an added bonus.     

IMG_4102.jpeg.19f05ec2f432d835af93b49bcb32e07b.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg.b8d86d1e45d191d497f2ea52287025c1.jpeg

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 18

26 minutes ago, Ardmore said:

When we began looking for a new home, my wife was quite insistent that it had to have a room that was large enough to house the layout. I wasn't going to argue with that, and when we found a place that suited our needs, the basement came with a games room and pool table as well! The layout is 16' X 12' and it fits into the available space with about 2" to spare at either end. The fact that I now have access to the rear of the storage sidings is an added bonus.     

IMG_4102.jpeg.e0d8a03d20e94b44aaa220a8d59a032f.jpegIMG_4101.jpeg.857d9c40ba35f8e1f2504e35aed7778e.jpeg

Now that is a very nice model railway room.  Such a shame that many houses in the UK don't have such generous facilities.  I came to the conclusion long ago, that to have a decent model railway room, I would need a large garden, for a purpose made building.  It took two years to find a house with a really nice large garden, apart from the first one I missed out on, which was massive.    Every time I mow the lawn I think of how much less there will be to cut when the model railway room finally gets started.  I have done a survey of the garden, but nothing else!  Thinking about it, a room like that must pay dividends for smooth running and requiring less cleaning/maintenance,  with less dust and debris to fall on the scenery, rails and to get on wheels and into locomotives mechanisms, nevermind superb lighting andnot having to get into difficult roof spaces to model etc..

Very nice indeed!

Best Regards,

C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...