Teignbridge (change for Upcombe branch)

Ardmore

This is a fantastic model of Devon railways. The backscene is amazing and shows up the stock crossing the viaduct superbly, and Kingsbridge stock at that.

Keep up the great work. If i can make my attempt half as good as yours I'll be very pleased.

David, just found this. I agree wholeheartedly with every previous remark in praise and I look forward to seeing more.

You have certainly capture the essence of a GWR country branch. Well done.

Best wishes,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi David, Wow what a wonderful eye for detail and I love the work on the Wills Viaduct and the Water effect is spot on. I cant wait to see more as I am planning something quite similar but in Cornwall. Your Station and track work have come out top notch, thanks for updating and the pics are amazing, plus as I have said to John Flann, (Hintock) I love the little stories with the pictures.

Thanks again.

David- I have to endorse the recent comments -your layout is evolving to be a beautiful essay of south Devon.

I for one really value your step by step descriptions of how you have created some features- such as the viaduct (earlier posts) and now the river scene. So helpful for those of us yet to start such scene on our own layouts.

I look forward to more updates and inspiration.

regards, Andy R

• Like 1

Lovely scene, especially with the larger rocks poking out of the bank--not a feature modeled often. VERY good backscene as well. Did you photograph it?

Also, what kind of static grass are you using? (both here in the valley and elsewhere)

Quentin

Lovely scene, especially with the larger rocks poking out of the bank--not a feature modeled often. VERY good backscene as well. Did you photograph it?

Also, what kind of static grass are you using? (both here in the valley and elsewhere)

Quentin

Hi Quentin,

The back scene behind the viaduct is made up of three layers of iD Backscenes sheets. At the back, the distant view is Series 207 Hills and Dales Pack A. In front of it, the foreground is a cut-down of Series 203 English Village Pack B (with the sky removed), and in front of that, just above the river are some bushes and fields also cut-down from the Series 203 Pack B.

I mostly use MiniNatur static grass applied with a Noch GrassMaster. For fields and meadows, I use a 50:50 mix of 04-23 early fall grass and 04-24 winter grass. Near hedges and fences, I add in some Noch 07101 6 mm wild grass.

Hope this information is helpful.

David

• Like 2

Hi David, Wow what a wonderful eye for detail and I love the work on the Wills Viaduct and the Water effect is spot on. I cant wait to see more as I am planning something quite similar but in Cornwall. Your Station and track work have come out top notch, thanks for updating and the pics are amazing, plus as I have said to John Flann, (Hintock) I love the little stories with the pictures.

Thanks again.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your encouragement. I have been following your various layout builds for some time now, and have learnt a lot from them. I am looking forward to your Cornish excursion (no pressure) and hope that we will see the reappearance of those fantastic buildings that briefly graced your Buckfast branch.

David

Late to the party and most impressed, living in sunny Devon it certainly evokes the right atmosphere. I think your giving some of the others a run for their money here ! 

Keep it up !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

David- stunning modelling and oozing west country atmosphere. Are you contemplating any 'waethering' of buildings and landscape or is your preference for relatively clean lines? Just a thought looking at the pictures.

I for one would also be interested in a track plan of the BLT if you have such a thing; it captures the isolated branch scene very well.

regards, Andy R

PS -please note the weathering comment is not a criticism David, but an observation that seeks to understand your modelling approach.

Andy R

Edited by Andy R

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your interest. I posted some track diagrams at the beginning of the topic. Although Upcombe station looks somewhat isolated at the moment, I am planning to add some buildings at the far end over the next few months. As regards weathering, I am adding this gradually as I build up the level of detail. I'm trying to spread my efforts across the entire layout, rather than focusing on any one part of it.

Having grown up in the north of England in the 1950s and 1960s, I had quite enough of urban grime, decay and neglect, and several summertime trips to south Devon convinced me that the GWR was the line for me. Living and working in Bristol from 1973 until we moved to the U.S. in 1999 only enhanced my appreciation for the Somerset and Devon countryside. So the layout is an attempt to combine a quiet, pastoral branchline scene with a junction station where the quiet of a summer afternoon is interrupted at intervals by the passing of Castles and Kings, Halls and Granges, and their smaller relatives.

Here are a few more photographs showing how I am adding detail as I go along. First, a couple of recent shots of the viaduct. I wasn't altogether convinced about the right bank of the river, so I went back and made some changes. I have also added some Hereford cattle to the field in the distance, one of which is lowering its head to take a drink of water. One of the locals is now enjoying the sunshine while he rests on the riverbank. Behind him, I have created what I hope will pass for a narrow Devon lane with high banks on either side and drying grass along the middle. Some thistles are growing in the field behind the hedge (which I made from rubberized horsehair).

I have added some static grass to the goods yard at Upcombe, lending it a slight (but only slight) air of neglect, and planted some nettles next to the hut at the edge of the baseboard.

IMG_3109.jpeg.227d55d608b041914a385fb8c1e508a6.jpeg

The area around the branch engine shed has also received some attention. Undergrowth has been added, several plate layers have arrived, and the roof of their hut seems to be suffering from the effects of the weather. The engine shed itself is still in pristine condition, so it will need attention later.

IMG_3076.jpeg.e1e4308730e5230924844fa0614afab5.jpeg

I have also done some work on the goods yard at Teignbridge, adding some static grass and planting some barrels to await collection.

IMG_3085.jpeg.205de9280f1c8c4add1958c6c90fe80b.jpeg

David

Edited by Ardmore
  • Like 16