Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Amazing layout,the detail is unreal!

What did you use for the telegraph wires?

Is it black cotton thread?

Cheers

Ben

In answer to your question, it may well be this........

EZ-Line,    it is  a USA product, there are now 4 supplier's in the UK

www.modeljunction.info

www.autosport-models.co.uk

www.modelsrgo.co.uk

Lyddrail

Posted 04 September 2015 - 19:28

mudmagnet, on 04 Sept 2015 - 18:46, said:

Fantastic details !

The hoses look great ! How are these done ?

The hoses are fuse wire 30A bent to shape and where in a coil glued together with impact adheasive at a few points. They were primed with grey car primer and painted a yellow colour, finally weathered with watercolour. They were stuck to the surface with PVA.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Paul am using florist wire for cables.

Recent info from SE Trains suggests Tonbridge Yard will be expanded again to increase stabling for new EMU's, for which they are currently bidding via the DofT process. This could mean even less of the scene you have modelled will remain as it was. TWY is quickly becoming an esteemed historical artifiact......

• 3 weeks later...

Recent info from SE Trains suggests Tonbridge Yard will be expanded again to increase stabling for new EMU's, for which they are currently bidding via the DofT process. This could mean even less of the scene you have modelled will remain as it was. TWY is quickly becoming an esteemed historical artifiact......

A few years ago it was proposed to turn several of the West Yard sidings into stabling sidings for Thameslink trains, but they had a change of mind.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail

I have done the final detail items for now with 2 wooden wheelbarrows, modified Coopercraft I think.

Wheelbarrow by the shunters lobby with an old cardboard box as load.

post-1373-0-73568600-1443473007_thumb.jpg

The other wheelbarrow by the skip.

post-1373-0-36651700-1443473025_thumb.jpg

I have spent the last couple of weeks tidying up stock and bringing a few little used items back into the fleet. The locos I refreshed were 4 Inter-city class 73s. Woking Homes and Post Haste return to the fleet, all have had the roofs repainted and weathered.

post-1373-0-79710900-1443473100_thumb.jpg

I will try and take pics of the wagons recently completed.

All work has been for the next show at The Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon on 10th & 11th October.

Cheers.

• Like 14

Lyddrail

Posted Yesterday, 21:49

I have done the final detail items for now with 2 wooden wheelbarrows, modified Coopercraft I think.

Wheelbarrow by the shunters lobby with an old cardboard box as load.

Excellent work as always Paul...

These photos' were taken by a friend of mine, at Tonbridge West Yard , last Sunday, shewing the latest  stock.

All photos by Andy Howard.

21547577019_4a16485c72_z.jpg

by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

21561991798_fbfb8be03b_z.jpg

21561965418_c5a552497e_z.jpg

21734432125_728cfd0877_z.jpg

Will catch up with you Paul @ The Foklestone Model Railway Exhibition, this Saturday & Sunday.

giving your weathering demonstrations on the balcony in the Leas Cliff Hall

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a really good time at the Gaydon show in October, the layout and stock performed very well.

I had a complete break afterwards and have found it difficult to get too active yet. I have a few jobs to do for other people before I return to the layout and new stock. But I should be back on these during December.

To confirm where the layout can be seen next year here is the plan: 

Erith Show at Longfield in Kent on 30th & 31st January.

Bristol Show at Thornbury on 29th & 30th April and 1st May.

Midland Railex at Butterley on 13th & 14th August.

Hope to see many of you at these shows.

A couple of pics of the fiddle yard when taking the layout down for trip to Gaydon.

post-1373-0-11624100-1447102281_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-57008200-1447102302_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking through some old magazines and found my Modelrail supplement for June 1994 with an article on Tonbridge West Yard. What an amazing looking layout for the time and it still looks as good. After reading tge article in 1994 I decided I must get into Southern region EMUs and spent all my pocket money on an MTK 2EPB. It finally made its way into the bin after my last clear out Christmas last.

• Like 1

David,

I lot of people would have done the same with their MTK kits.

I have decided for the layouts return that multiple units will mainly remain MTK. I have more part built and unmade (more than I would like to admit to!), that will be added to the fleet.

Also I am refurbishing some older models for the NSE 30th anniversary in 2016. Like the VEP & CIG pictured below in early NSE livery seen on Maidstone Barracks.

Cheers.

post-1373-0-72468200-1448134055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 6

Having mentioned sorting some of my older NSE EMUs for next year, I also have plans for some more NSE locos. Below is a picture of most of these.

post-1373-0-53876100-1448549072_thumb.jpg

These should appear during the year, most don't need too much doing to get them ready.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 12

David,

I lot of people would have done the same with their MTK kits.

I have decided for the layouts return that multiple units will mainly remain MTK. I have more part built and unmade (more than I would like to admit to!), that will be added to the fleet.

Also I am refurbishing some older models for the NSE 30th anniversary in 2016. Like the VEP & CIG pictured below in early NSE livery seen on Maidstone Barracks.

Cheers.

Maidstone Barracks was an inspiration to me when it first appeared and led to my decision to build something along the same lines (but I doubt to the same quality), but based on the Isle of Sheppey, for which I have been collecting and making the necessary bits and pieces for many years now. The refurbishment of the barn in which it will be housed is still not finished, but next year will see a start on the layout proper. What happened to MB?

Mike,

Thanks for your comments. Good luck with your Isle of Sheppey layout.

Maidstone Barracks was sold to Colin Massingham of MTK fame with an idea to changing it to an Irish prototype, don't ask me how, I doubt anything came of that. I kept one board from the end that will be reused on a future layout. I also kept all the buildings and scenic details.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been very active regards modelling since Gaydon.

Next show is end of January at Erith (Longfield) and I have made a list of works to do. Most tasks are minor repairs and a tidy up. More serious works will happen after the next show in the 3 months to the following show.

Forgot to mention in the Hornby Magazine (Jan issue) currently in the shops is an article on my layout.

I have decided to replace my inaccurate forklift I currently use with the correct type which I have researched and downloaded lots of pictures to aid conversion/scratching. Prototype below.

Cheers.

post-1373-0-28632400-1450694151_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-90791400-1450694181_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

I have been working on getting the layout ready for its first outing this year on 30th & 31st Jan at the Erith Show at LongField.

I have done the repairs to layout and stock, some of the maintenance plus should finish a couple of BR Sherpa vans and a car or 2 for the car parks. Also been adding bufferbeam detail to 2 Lima 73s that haven't run for many years for circuit trains.

I have received a working semaphore/colour light signal to replace the one exiting the yard at the Redhill end. Not sure if I can get this fitted in time but I am trying.

Will post details of any progress.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I have been working on getting the layout ready for its first outing this year on 30th & 31st Jan at the Erith Show at LongField.

I have done the repairs to layout and stock, some of the maintenance plus should finish a couple of BR Sherpa vans and a car or 2 for the car parks. Also been adding bufferbeam detail to 2 Lima 73s that haven't run for many years for circuit trains.

I have received a working semaphore/colour light signal to replace the one exiting the yard at the Redhill end. Not sure if I can get this fitted in time but I am trying.

Will post details of any progress.

Cheers.

Looking even better! Where did you get the Sherpa vans from Paul? - I will need one for my layout at Queenborough!

Looking even better! Where did you get the Sherpa vans from Paul? - I will need one for my layout at Queenborough!

Mine were from Modern AFV Collection, now passed to Kingfisher Minitures. I recently got the Kingfisher versions to replace mine, these are 1982-84 type, my AFV ones were the too early version, also done by Kingfisher.

As mine were part build 6 plus years ago I am close to finishing them now, added glazing today. Will have photos on Sunday if all goes to plan.

Cheers.

Mine were from Modern AFV Collection, now passed to Kingfisher Minitures. I recently got the Kingfisher versions to replace mine, these are 1982-84 type, my AFV ones were the too early version, also done by Kingfisher.

As mine were part build 6 plus years ago I am close to finishing them now, added glazing today. Will have photos on Sunday if all goes to plan.

Cheers.

Outstanding. I have never looked at that site - some other useful things there too. Many thanks Paul.

Vans now require touching up, varnishing and weathering to complete. I am pleased how they have turned out. Doing the glazing and number plates was hard work!

The higher roof version was my bad attempt using plasticard and filler, a bit too high for the version I was copying. Anyway now I have the more modern Kingfisher kits I will redo this one for the C&W section at TWY.

post-1373-0-06143400-1453645929_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-18035700-1453645947_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-49994100-1453645962_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-13869200-1453645977_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-84706400-1453646000_thumb.jpg

It has been over six years since I started these, glad they are about done.

Cheers.

• Like 10