Hornby 56 & 31 problem

I have neglected my model railway since the Autumn and am now back into it.

I was trying my 5 class 56's and 1 class 31 over the past few nights and they have developed a strange screeching noise.

I have lubricated each one at the prescribed points and popped out the bogie retaining clip and put a spot of model oil on the top of the gear tower but to no avail.

As my class 60's don't seem to be doing this and they have the same mechanism I was wondering if it is the fan drive belt.

So before I get the snips out for the rubber band anybody got any further advice?

Thanks in advance

David

Edited by david12345

Funnily enough I have the same problem with 2 x 56s and a 60 with the 60 the worst and have just been battling this one this eve. I've lubricated the axles where the leaflet shows, lubricated the pickups with powerlube, lubricated the carden shafts and tried to drop some powerlube into the motor bearing and bogie gear tower. Both 56s have had the fan drive belt snipped off. Guess what? They all still screech. My models have all been unrun for at least 5 years due layout construction but I've no problems on my 80+ Bachmann, Heljan and vitrains machines but with 1 of 4 60s, 2 of 3 56s having this issue I'm wondering whether there is a difference in grease used by Hornby. My locos have all been stored on shelves in my centrally heated hobby room - wonder if might have been better boxed or stored somewhere cooler?

If you solve the issue please let me know. I've not really stripped parts off the locos to get proper access to gear towers or motor yet but am thinking this could be next...

M

I can appreciate that these locos have working fans, but when I have the problem (which is pretty common), I just cut out the belt, ............problem solved!!!

Ok the fans don't go round, but it's less hassle and cost than replacing the gear mech!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Edited to add: Sorry Matt, just read your post properly, obviously the fans are the first port of call, but you're problem is something other. I've always found that the Bachmann/Woodland scenic oils and greases, used in moderation, are very good lubricants!!!

Edited by Jintyman

• RMweb Premium

Good Evening,

I had/have the same problem with one of my class 56s and my 60. After completely stripping down the 56 and slowly rebuilding, lubricating and test running I eventually diagnosed the problem to be some build up (verdigris?) on the worm bearings. Cleaning this off and lubricating the bearings and shaft with Hob-E-Lube White Grease with Teflon seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. I have yet to do the same on my 60.

When cleaning the worm bearings I noted that there is a very thin transparent plastic washer located on the worm shaft between the end of the worm and the bearing. I guess this will also help to avoid any rubbing when the worm moves toward the bearing when the whole drive moves under load. I made sure I put lubricant on both sides of the washer.

Good luck.

Yep seen this - one of 56s from ebay (the one that doesn't squeal!) was picked up for £30 as spares or repair and all it needed was 4 new screws with the remains of the threads still in the bodyshell but critically sticking out so that easy retrieve. After some time trying to get replacement screws including unanswered queries to Hornby I finally dawned that same screws used in hsts and the dummy cars don't really need them being both light and having substantial body clips :-). Since then been v careful not overtighten.

Pj10 any chance of tips on how to dismantle to get to work drive? Am game to have a go especially as the wife is complaining the noise is carrying through the house and might wake the kids up...

M

Hi Matt, If you take the body off and remove the 4 screws that hold the fan housing in place. Then you can pry the housing up and turn it 90 degrees and you will see the top of the bogie tower. The bit of black plastic with the small lump on it is the cover. It can be removed by putting a fine screwdriver down each side in turn gently and then it will pop off. You will see the worm gear. DONT lift the loco at this point as the bogie will fall out disconnecting the drive shaft, which happened to me and resulted if a fraught half hour trying to put it back in with needle nose pliers. The opposite end is easier.

I am going to try PJ10s advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Success. All 6 locos travelling around the layout silently.

It seems that just lubricating the worm gear is not sufficient and drop of grease on the tiny square housings at either end seems to do the trick.

Now it's time to test run all the 60's, hope they are ok.

Thanks for all the help and advice and good luck Matt.

• RMweb Premium

David12345. Glad to hear lubricating the bearing housing worked for you as well. Getting the worm gear housing/cover removed can be a problem if you haven't done it before but as you say, a little gentle work with a small jeweller's screwdriver does the trick. I found carefully removing the cab bulkheads first aided getting access to the housing/cover.

Edited by PJ10
  • Like 1

Success! Although I couldn't get the gear tower covers off I found that all 3 locos went immediately silent when a drop of powerlube was placed on the bearing at each side of the worm drive in the gear tower which sounds similar to your experience. Thanks for help - the children can sleep soundly now!

M

• 4 years later...

I hadn’t used my Hornby 56 for quite some time, but recently decided to fit a DCC decoder. After trying two decoders that only resulted in the the loco humming and not moving I took it apart, only to find that both gear tower worm bearings has completely gummed up solid. I also noticed some verdigries on the bearings. After freeing them and adding new grease/oil, it ran fine. I’ve had similar jammed bearing problems on other models.