Hornby and O gauge

brianusa

A recent thread suggests that Hornby should reintroduce TT gauge. While it might please a few adherents, if anything could be introduced perhaps it should be O gauge whether it be coarse scale or the real thing. There is a growing demand for three rail models as evidenced by the number of new models produced by US and UK manufacturers. The American ones cater to both interests with two or three rail options while the UK seems content with three rail DC. Hornby already has a connection to Corgi but never exploited it to the full.

Perhaps they should rethink!

Brian

What UK 3 rail is there?

I think Lionel have that market pretty well sewn up in the US, I would think it would be very hard to get a foot in and I don't think people in the UK really have the space with most O modellers doing serious over play.

Much more than you may think! ACE, Darstaed and a couple of smaller companies produce trains and accessories as you probably are aware of and they seem to be making money on the deal. The US might be a separate entity but their UK models are popular. The older generation, the ones usually with disposable income find bigger models easier to handle and having run the gamut from N and OO to LGB and O, I can vouch for that!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

You are a little late with this idea Brian as the 'modern' Hornby company has already entered the 7mm market (and of course not to be confused with the original Hornby company!).

They own the rights to the historic Bassett Lowke name as sold here (for example) http://www.shamrocktrains.com/bassettlowke.html

Also resin buildings as shown at Tower Models http://www.tower-models.com/towermodels/ogauge/hornbybuildings/index.htm

The Basset Lowke stuff seems to have been quietly dropped as the link from the GOG Traders List no longer works and it is not listed on the Hornby homepage anymore. Presumably they saw the writing on the wall with advent of Ixion and (eventually) Dapol 0 Gauge locos. Of course, Hornby also own the LIMA name and it would be nice if that range was upgraded and re-introduced. It might make commercial sense if they followed the lead of MTH and produced versions for both the Finescale and Toy Train markets.

0 gauge coarse scale is already well supported by Darstaed, Ace, Lionel and ETS and by second hand Hornby. The picture shows my Darstaed Jinty which cost about £300 but should last a lifetime. 0 gauge coarse scale is very popular who like to see, hear and feel trains running at exhibitions. It is also free from rivet counters. We regularly get about 40 people coming to our meetings at Broadstone where I took the picture.

0 gauge fine scale is also fairly popular. The Purbeck Model Railway Group is building a 240 foot fine scale model bases on the Swanage Railway in some stables at Swanage. This uses mainly Golden Age models which are very expensive with locomotives costing over £2,000. Lima class 33s and Mk1 coaches will run on our Peco track so I think there is a market for a Hornby Railroad range in 0 gauge possibly based on upgraded Lima models. Dapol will soon be introducing an 08 shunter and a Terrier and has already produced some wagons.

post-17621-0-43119200-1422347003_thumb.jpg

Can't disagree with that remark, TT is all but dead while three rail O is making a comeback as mentioned already. Its main adherents are older, wealthier and can remember the trains of their youth. They also presumably have larger houses to accommodate the larger scale

Brian

post-21098-0-55954900-1422908039_thumb.jpg

It can't be all that difficult as some US manufacturers already do it fairly reasonably.

Brian.

The US O gauge scene is a much bigger, & very different, market. Most of it is 3-rail, & much of it not to standards worth converting to 2-rail.

I think the pictures above sum up the situation very well - for Collectors of toy trains, choose 3-rail or Coarse O. For those who want to have realistic models, choose 2-rail Scale.

Final point - if 3-rail/Coarse is a growing interest for those already retired, it isn't going to be sustained for too long, is it?? ;) :P

Tin hat on, ducks for cover whilst fleeing to Fire Exit............

I sit on both sides of the fence, I have some 'fine' scale & some 'clockwork' tinplate 0 gauge, (as well as some American 2-rail).

With the tinplate, I can throw down some track & run trains, but for the 'fine' scale I still need small radius points before I get anything up & running.

(Peco's mythical setrack points.)

Archived