Should we have some different "buttons"?

I don't see the need to get rid of the disagree button. So far as I can see, disagrees basically fall into three categories vis: fat fingers (generally obvious what has happened and that no offence is meant), legitimate disagreement (which you'd hope would be followed by an explanatory post but, in any case, we should all be adult enough to cope with somebody not sharing our opinions) or somebody trolling (annoying but it's very obvious when it is being done and easily ignored and is certainly preferable to other acts of trolling/bullying).

I wouldn't be sad to see the back of the indecipherable button though, that does seem to be a bit of a stick for beating people whose English writing skills aren't that great.

Would it be possible to require a double click to make a rating? That would reduce fat finger incidents.

• RMweb Gold
Hector, on 01 Feb 2015 - 19:51, said:

At the risk of being controversial, why not just get rid of all the buttons. I don't think they add much really.

If you want to keep one, perhaps it could be the thanks button.

H

I think the variety of buttons is helpful in avoiding too many "me too" posts - and even the Disagree button has had that benefit on occasion, when someone posted errant rubbish and people piled in to express their distaste.

There are occasions on other media where I regret the lack of RMweb-style versatility in button choice.

Are people really so insecure enough to be really bothered that posts they have made have had disagreement marks. It's pretty darn obvious when some one is taking the piss with it.

Hey, we moan we bitch we get arsey, we throw insults. Who the hell cares?

I had bright red hair as a kid if I got bothered by the piss taking it would get worse. Man up get on with playing trains, that's what I plan on doing!

Simple really - if you can't take it don't dish it out.

It's (usually) fairly easy to spot the vindictive disagrees by the way the ante- or post- 'disagree rating' comments develop.

Personally I don't care whether anyone disagrees with anything I post, because for that to insult/hurt me I would first have to value their opinion............... :tease: 

It's pretty darn obvious when some one is taking the piss with it.

It is to me. Some may not understand why they are being targeted by drive-bys though. This topic seems to have been used by several of the 'disaffected' former members of this site who live elsewhere and cultivate negativity. That should be kept to their own domain and not send raiding parties in.

If someone has asked to have their membership here deleted I think their right to create another account and interfere in matters that are really only relevant to members of the community should have ended when they left.

• RMweb Gold

Why don't we just have about 50 buttons covering every eventuality...that way we wouldn't have to waste our precious time actually writing real words in reply to threads as well as saving wearing out our brains by indulging in cognitive gymnastics.....

......whatever that means.

I think the variety of buttons is helpful in avoiding too many "me too" posts - and even the Disagree button has had that benefit on occasion, when someone posted errant rubbish and people piled in to express their distaste.

There are occasions on other media where I regret the lack of RMweb-style versatility in button choice.

I am currently supporting a campaign for RM web style buttons to be introduced on another forum I post on. But not a disagree button because that forum just ain't civilised

• RMweb Gold

We'll give this a test for a week or so as I did see quite a few 'drive-by' Disagrees yesterday from known trouble-makers.

I'd imagine that there were probably quite a few "disagrees" and "undecipherables" of that ilk - and I'm glad to see the back of them.

Quite often, in most cases in fact, the 'Agree' button does not require an explanation, only if the agreement is from a different perspective from that stated. A 'Disagree' will always be from a different perspective and will therefore require explanation.

This strikes me as basically fair comment.

And as in real life, one's bound to disagree with some opinions expressed sooner or later. Other messages are so incoherent, they really could do with a more comprehensive explanation by the writer. Removing these 2 "negative" buttons in exchange for "hit by accident" doesn't magically alter these facts.

Perhaps not - but some people had, quite reasonably, expressed their frustration at being on the receiving end of "drive-by" negative button pressing.

Others amongst us were also less than happy about receiving this treatment - often for no apparent reason.

You make an interesting point about incoherent messages - there have definitely been some - a number of which have prompted members to hit the "indecipherable" flag. Others have looked more like spam, trolling or attempts to start "flamewars" - leading to members hitting the "report" flag.

There might, however, be other reasons for people not understanding what's meant by posts. Sometimes, a poster might deliberately be guarded or cryptic in the way they say something - sometimes for legal reasons.

Perhaps the poster might actually know something, but not be in a position to prove what they're saying - perhaps the proof might even exist, but the poster might be making an oblique reference to somebody with a reputation for threatening unwarranted libel writs against anyone who dares not to "acknowledge" that the sun shines out of their ... .

Sometimes, there might be a different reason again. Some people might just be too lazy, perhaps even too arrogant, to bother reading someone else's post carefully enough to even try to work out what they meant. Removing these flags also removes the scope for these jokers to leave posters wondering what (if anything) they might have said or done to cause offence.

I seem to be making a good start on getting "Hit by mistake" responses. So now I'm bewildered: is that people who secretly disagree, or people who haven't realised the disagree button is no longer in the right place, or people who are having a larf...?  :O

Right now, this could even be a case of "all of the above".

I hadn't noticed that there were 2 versions of this "flag" - but I, personally, view it along the lines of: "Hmmm - I'm not quite sure what to say about this post!"

I, personally, wouldn't want anything more negative than this - which probably wouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone who knows me.

I've always been one to look for positives, as negatives can be very demoralising (especially if people don't have the guts to say things to others' faces).

Seriously, just how many members do you think that applies to? If you've an opinion you can probably state it, few exceptions.

True, nobody can be forced to explain a disagree, but if they cannot be bothered then it is a worthless gesture. It helps neither the poster receiving it nor the general discussion. Furthermore, the unexplained 'disagree' can be used, in Andy's rather neat phrase, as a 'drive by' tactic.

I can accept the odd unexplained 'disagree' in threads where there is a clear and understood polarisation and it's a statement of which side you are on.

I have no problem with the existence of the button, but its use should carry a responsibility.

For me, this was the real problem with the old buttons - and the real reason why I'm glad to see the back of them.

I wouldn't be sad to see the back of the indecipherable button though, that does seem to be a bit of a stick for beating people whose English writing skills aren't that great.

Would it be possible to require a double click to make a rating? That would reduce fat finger incidents.

I also suspect that some people saw this one as a stick to use against other people, when they couldn't be bothered to take the trouble to actually read their posts, when they couldn't be bothered to work out what somebody was actually saying.

As for people whose English writing skills are less than brilliant, I'm not sure there's much wrong with a civilised post to clarify what's meant.

Obviously, I could be wrong here. Perhaps, I might just be making it all-too-obvious to some people that I used to work in a university, where it was considered normal practice to check what people were saying - and to treat everybody with dignity.

My personal views - for what they're worth.

Time will tell what happens.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Simple really - if you can't take it don't dish it out.

It's (usually) fairly easy to spot the vindictive disagrees by the way the ante- or post- 'disagree rating' comments develop.

Personally I don't care whether anyone disagrees with anything I post, because for that to insult/hurt me I would first have to value their opinion............... :tease:

It's pretty darn obvious when some one is taking the piss with it.

It is to me. Some may not understand why they are being targeted by drive-bys though. This topic seems to have been used by several of the 'disaffected' former members of this site who live elsewhere and cultivate negativity. That should be kept to their own domain and not send raiding parties in.

If someone has asked to have their membership here deleted I think their right to create another account and interfere in matters that are really only relevant to members of the community should have ended when they left.

It could also be suggested that the same applies if said individuals have needed to be "invited" to leave (or have deliberately taken actions calculated to precipitate their ejection from this site).

Well said Andy!

Sometimes people forget that with 'rights', come 'responsibilities'

As far as I'm concerned, all the posts I've quoted above make very relevant points.

Nobody has forced anybody else to join this site - or any other site, for that matter.

When anybody chooses to join this site, they are also making a commitment to behave in a civilised manner.

Like most people, I understood this commitment - agree with it - and am happy to go along with it. This is why i'm still a member here - it's why we are still members here.

Unfortunately, a tiny minority chose not to accept this straightforward concept and needed to be shown the door.

These **********s will not be missed - not by me, anyway - not, I suspect, by a number of other people here.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Disagree is too blunt, sometimes as Coachmann said it is correcting information a disagree with reason is fine, it is a correction not an insult.

Disagrees on normal posts is just weird.

As to trolls, ignoring works best.

When it comes to holy wars*, please keep it civil.

*Like the 4mm gauges.

• RMweb Gold

I'm in favour of several disagree buttons

1, Disagree

2, Slightly Miffed/Put out

3, Nose Out of Joint/ Highly Miffed

4, Ejector Seat for Teddy

5, take Toys away, and sulk in corner

6, Call lots of Naughty Names

7, I'm leaving, and never, ever, coming back. So There!

Of course, you may disagree with these, or add your own.

Ian

I'm in favour of several disagree buttons

1, Disagree

2, Slightly Miffed/Put out

3, Nose Out of Joint/ Highly Miffed

4, Ejector Seat for Teddy

5, take Toys away, and sulk in corner

6, Call lots of Naughty Names

7, I'm leaving, and never, ever, coming back. So There!

Of course, you may disagree with these, or add your own.

Ian

8. 'May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits'

• RMweb Premium

Or what about a "They can't spell Ian Allan correctly" button.

Or an "It should be GARRATT, if your referring to the Beyer Peacock locomotive type and GARRETT if your referring to Richard Garrett & Sons, makers of traction engines etc" button.

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of being controversial, why not just get rid of all the buttons. I don't think they add much really.

If you want to keep one, perhaps it could be the thanks button.

H

This is an example of where a "disagree" button would be an excellent choice. Why, because it suits YOU to not have them, but you can simply choose not to use them. Overuse of any button is the problem, not merely having them.

Buttons this forum needs:

The sandwich button

post-4569-0-46828100-1422960690.jpg

The love heart button

post-4569-0-48979100-1422960691.jpg

The Steampunk button, because you don't want to know what googling steam or steamy buttons came up with

post-4569-0-11905200-1422960695.jpg

The teddy button for when it's been thrown out the pram and you need Mummy a Moderator to go and get it for you

post-4569-0-63382000-1422960695.jpg

And of course the Big Red Button because EVERY house should have one

post-4569-0-08937700-1422960697.jpg

Archived