Hornby Merchant Navy (Rebuilt) tenders.

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I am aware of the tender differences in the 'prototype' fleet. Can anyone tell me if the 3/4 main types are provided by Hornby? If not, is there a supplier of parts for the 'alternatives' please, other than PDK full kits?

I can see two different types on models I have but have not checked the wheel base.

I've had a search to see if there is any info on modelling the varieties, with no luck so far other than the info on the SEMG.

Any comments on the PDK products would be useful. However, I'm a bit reluctant to shell out for those kits as my needs are not for exhibition class locomotive detail despite the fact that I'm sure they will look very good.

Many thanks.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

Hornby have only produced Series 2 (6'6" x 6'6") and 3 (7'4"x7'0") tenders in cut-down form so far as I know. It might be possible to modify the Series 2 cut-down into a Series 1 cut-down. The rebodied 5250 gallon tenders are not catered for.

RT Models hold the full range of Albert Goodall Bulleid loco and tender castings as well as scale drawings.

PDK tenders are basically a slightly more-evolved form than Crownline (which is where they originate from), with a bit more detail. You will have to roll the curves of the tender tank sides yourself.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have only produced Series 2 (6'6" x 6'6") and 3 (7'4"x7'0") tenders in cut-down form so far as I know. It might be possible to modify the Series 2 cut-down into a Series 1 cut-down. The rebodied 5250 gallon tenders are not catered for.

RT Models hold the full range of Albert Goodall Bulleid loco and tender castings as well as scale drawings.

*PDK tenders are basically a slightly more-evolved form than Crownline (which is where they originate from), with a bit more detail. You will have to roll the curves of the tender tank sides yourself.

*I'll have to roll my own bank notes too......thanks Horse for that.

At least both short and 'long' chassis is catered for. I think the 5250s were on the long short chassis and could make an interesting scratch build. However, only two of my 'fleet' got those and that was after 1962 so that won't really be a priority for me (hoorah).

I don't think RT do any actual tender bodies but the bits are very helpful (steps etc).

Having now seen the tenders in A.J Fry's 'The Merchant Navy Class', I feel I don't need to do anything with PDK kits. I just need to modify the Hornby Series 2 with RT bits and the shape of the top sides to the bunker/cab sheets. That's a relief.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

I have converted 4 of the Hornby series 2 tenders to series 1; it is not too difficult as it mainly involves cutting bits off the series 2 tender as the series 1 was lower at the back and the bunker is shorter. I managed to keep the original paintwork and lining on the sides so that they were a match for the Hornby loco. The only additional bits you need are a set of Vacuum cylinders (RT Models) and cover (ditto or scrap brass or plasticard). The chassis does not need any modification, and by reusing the body fixing point on the top I have kept the original fixing screws.

post-13679-0-65214900-1422519354_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for your kind comments, Phil; nice to see some fellow Southern Region modellers!

The layout is really just a test track round my Railway Room, as my primary interest is building loco's and coaches. it is 'OO' looped figure of 8 double track 16' X 8' with 1 in 100 ruling grade to test the stock. The only problem is the coaches which tend to trundle into the tunnel when I not looking! Most of my stock is Southern Region circa 1962, with my current projects mainly Bulleid coaches as there is nothing on the market suitable for my loco's to pull!

I have attached a few more photos of the conversion process from a Hornby series 2 to series 1 tender which I hope you will find useful. I found if you marked in pencil a line round the back op the tender, having cut out the centre, you could carefully file down to the new, lower depth of the sides without damaging the factory paintwork on the sides, Other main modifications to the tender were opening out the top of the coal space (needed on all Hornby MN tenders as it is too narrow), reshaping the front cab overhang and shortening the ladders to suit the new rear platform.

post-13679-0-40615400-1422547944_thumb.jpg

post-13679-0-80696800-1422547969_thumb.jpg

post-13679-0-93825300-1422548189_thumb.jpg

I also attach a picture of 35008 with the rebodied self-weighing tender; this was my most dificult conversion, using an extended spare Wrenn tender body on a Hornby series 3 tender.

post-13679-0-92086300-1422548034_thumb.jpg

I have also modelled most of the other major variations of MN tender, mainly using the Albert Goodall (now RT Models I believe) drawings which he took from actual tenders. I have one more to 'convert' which is Belgian Marine, but thankfully this has the standard Hornby series 2 tender, then I think I will have enough!

Hope this is helpful to you; I look forward to seeing your results in due course.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Excellent pics. Many thanks. I've copied your text and pics for personal use if that's OK?

Have you done the Injectors on '18 by any chance?

Don't hold your breath re my 'efforts'!! :scratchhead:

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The Albert Goodall scale drawings are available from RT Models now.

The injectors will be done in lost wax brass shortly as well as new and improved lost wax brass ladders which I will be making the patterns myself rather than using Alberts original as I want them to be longer for the sprues and to have the fixing brackets on the top.

All part of upgrading alberts range.

• Like 1

Hi,

Chris Meacham of Golden Arrow Productions does the early Bullied tender bodies for the short and long tender chassis, they are moulded in Milky Bar resin and have the basic dimnsions correct. I am currently working on one for my MN Elders Fyffes and apart from some detail on the back of the tender all the other add on details is from RT Models (formerly Albert Goodalls range).

One thing I would like to see is the rear steps for the MN cast in bronze as they are narrower than the ones for the WC / BB tenders.

Anyway, I seem to have managed to corner the market in Hornby tenders, originally I just wanted one for Bude to replace the horrible LMS tender that it came with, then the MN project reared its striking head courtesy of a fellow RMWebber I managed to get two or three high sided tenders but attempting to modify the basic shape seemed a bridge too far. Then Chris Meacham (Brucie the Fish) came to the rescue once I get the tender sorted I shall sell off the surplus ones as I shall have no use for them.

Then theres the Hornby Dublo WC tender with the 5250 gallon tender which was in reserve for a extensively modified 1981 Hornby second issue of the original which was on the Princess / Brittania chassis.........

Best regards

It never ceases to amaze me how much the Bulleid MN tenders can command on eBay, with the Series 2 seemingly hardest to find.

Some boxed MNs can now command prices 50% higher than the prices we paid new at a time when decent discounts were available.

Looked at from that angle eBay tenders could be considered quite cheap in comparison.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2021 at 14:37, Rockalaucher101 said:

I think it was a new build. I've bee darting around other forums and looking at pictures and everything points to it being new.

I feel like replicating this tender is going to get difficult

Ah, I remember now talking to the guys at the G &W Railway over at Cheltenham. I have a good pic of the tender and it is indeed a new build with certain updated features IIRC. 

I am sure that someone over there has drawings.

Phil