BlueRail Trains - Bluetooth Locomotive Control

• 6 months later...

Next generation control system.

BlueRail Trains have just issued the news that a next generation system is in development, in cooperation with another partner.

The details are deliberately sparse, for commercial reasons, but it will be completely compatible with the first generation BlueRail Trains/Bachmann boards (decoders in DCC language) and compatible with DCC.

Hello from BlueRail,

It has been 2 years since Bachmann released its EZ App trains, and 18 months since the Blue-Horse plugin board released, so it is kind of our birthday.
It is great to know thousands of people are enjoying direct bluetooth train control.
We are down to our last 75 blue-horse boards in stock.

BlueRail has been collaborating on development of a next generation product.
Because this is a collaboration, we are not permitted to reveal details until a product announcement is made.
But I can say it is the best train control technology I can imagine, the prototype works great, and I think it's going to make a lot of people happy.

The control app will remain compatible with the current BlueRail boards, so no concerns for obsolescence.

Your feedback and support has been invaluable in getting it right.
Feedback we've received include desire for a... 
small form factor,
onboard high-end sound,
support for various amperages,
DCC compatibility,
and continued DeadRail support.
All of these have been taken into account.

Thank you very much for your help in guiding the development process of direct train control.

David Rees
BlueRail Trains

• Like 1

Next generation control system.

BlueRail Trains have just issued the news that a next generation system is in development, in cooperation with another partner.

The details are deliberately sparse, for commercial reasons, but it will be completely compatible with the first generation BlueRail Trains/Bachmann boards (decoders in DCC language) and compatible with DCC.

To be honest I'm more interested in a smaller form factor than anything else (and I wish that they would hurry up with it). Not overly sure where they are going with DCC compatibility? Why double hand the process? A bluetooth chip to control a DCC chip to control a loco....... Just use the Bluetooth chip! And if you are looking for a DCC controller to control the Bluetooth board via the rails...... Just buy a DCC chip in the first place. OK I suppose if you want that extra level of complexity for the odd occasion that you might want to run a guest Bluetooth'ed Loco on a DCC layout that has a fairly complex software control system it might be useful..... But I don't see the immediate commercial sense.

A smaller form factor is key, plus a fully functional android App. I asked if they could implement battery voltage monitoring and they said the capability was on the board but not implemented. Have they done this yet? 

The final killer was that awful touch screen interface requiring hand/eye coordination. I want tactile feedback so I can operate the throttle while looking at the train.

I have two boards in the drawer, perhaps I should sell them.

A smaller form factor is key, plus a fully functional android App. I asked if they could implement battery voltage monitoring and they said the capability was on the board but not implemented. Have they done this yet? 

The final killer was that awful touch screen interface requiring hand/eye coordination. I want tactile feedback so I can operate the throttle while looking at the train.

That's potentially fixable in the App (requires the App developers to do it).  I'm more familiar with Android possibilities than Apple.   Android (but not Apple) can have the volume keys on the App control things, so that's potentially speed up/down on the volume keys.  In both cases, its possible to connect Bluetooth game controllers to a phone.  These have two-axis direction buttons (speed and loco direction) and a few function keys on a small keyfob sized device which costs under £10 to buy - much easier to handle than a phone for train control.    Makers could look at Engine Driver (Android throttle for DCC systems) as an example which has game controller support.  

To be honest I'm more interested in a smaller form factor than anything else (and I wish that they would hurry up with it). Not overly sure where they are going with DCC compatibility? Why double hand the process? A bluetooth chip to control a DCC chip to control a loco....... Just use the Bluetooth chip! And if you are looking for a DCC controller to control the Bluetooth board via the rails...... Just buy a DCC chip in the first place. OK I suppose if you want that extra level of complexity for the odd occasion that you might want to run a guest Bluetooth'ed Loco on a DCC layout that has a fairly complex software control system it might be useful..... But I don't see the immediate commercial sense.

Lots of sense making it DCC compatible , lots of people understand DCC and are comfortable with it. Bluetooth is after all merely a communications medium it's not a specification for controlling locos DCC is.

Hence it's a very good idea

Nile, I don't understand how you cannot see the obvious commercial sense in DCC compatibility?

I believe this would be significant step in convincing people to try, or adopt this Bluetooth control system.

What could be done with it, depends on what form the compatibility takes.

If it means that BlueRail trains loco boards (decoders) will also work on a DCC powered layout, that introduces several possible uses, including the ability to take the loco to a friends, or a club DCC layout; or to use it on another of your own DCC layouts.

If DCC compatibility means that Bluetooth modules can be fitted, piggyback, to a DCC decoder fitted loco; that also opens up a few other possible applications. e.g. being able to use the loco on both DCC and Bluetooth layouts, or on both a DCC powered layout and on a Bluetooth controlled Dead Rail layout (if so fitted).

Importantly, for some people, DCC compatibility could also facilitate an easier transition from DCC to Bluetooth control.

At the very least, a DCC compatible BlueRail Trains board could be seen as a minimum risk way of trying out this method of model train control.

As for the small form factor. This has always been in the company's plans from day one.

I guess they've been waiting for the smaller Bluetooth modules to be available and the decision to move to a "next generation" has overtaken events.

• 2 weeks later...

Nile, I don't understand how you cannot see the obvious commercial sense in DCC compatibility?

I believe this would be significant step in convincing people to try, or adopt this Bluetooth control system.

What could be done with it, depends on what form the compatibility takes.

If it means that BlueRail trains loco boards (decoders) will also work on a DCC powered layout, that introduces several possible uses, including the ability to take the loco to a friends, or a club DCC layout; or to use it on another of your own DCC layouts.

If DCC compatibility means that Bluetooth modules can be fitted, piggyback, to a DCC decoder fitted loco; that also opens up a few other possible applications. e.g. being able to use the loco on both DCC and Bluetooth layouts, or on both a DCC powered layout and on a Bluetooth controlled Dead Rail layout (if so fitted).

Importantly, for some people, DCC compatibility could also facilitate an easier transition from DCC to Bluetooth control.

At the very least, a DCC compatible BlueRail Trains board could be seen as a minimum risk way of trying out this method of model train control.

As for the small form factor. This has always been in the company's plans from day one.

I guess they've been waiting for the smaller Bluetooth modules to be available and the decision to move to a "next generation" has overtaken events.

Hi Ron.

At present I can run all three of my BlueRail equipped trains on my DCC layout alongside my DCC controlled trains without any problems (it was one of the first things that I tested), so no improvements there. So I can quite happily take my BlueRail Loco's to any body else DCC layout and run them without any clash of DCC addressing or indeed the need to wrestle them for use of their DCC throttle (in fact I now have enough spare iPhones that each of my Bluerail Loco's can have it's own hand throttle).

As for DCC familiarity for established users. To be honest, if you are someone who has gone beyond the very basic CV variables of DCC, then the operating interface of the Bluerail App is a breeze, no constant referencing of cv tables required.

The only DCC compatibility issue I see as commercialy worthwhile, is getting a Bluerail Board to pass instruction on to DCC Sound chips (although personally I find the whole DCC sound thing sheer novelty).

If you have a BlueRail fitted eco it runs on either a permanently powered or DCC powered layout without issue. If you want the wireless benefit of Bluetooth for your DCC fitted loco's. Then sell your DCC chips and controllers and buy BlueRail.

Hi Nile

Unfortunately, I think you've missed the point, from my last post.

At present I can run all three of my BlueRail equipped trains on my DCC layout alongside my DCC controlled trains without any problems (it was one of the first things that I tested), so no improvements there. So I can quite happily take my BlueRail Loco's to any body else DCC layout and run them without any clash of DCC addressing or indeed the need to wrestle them for use of their DCC throttle (in fact I now have enough spare iPhones that each of my Bluerail Loco's can have it's own hand throttle).

Yes, but that's running the Bluetooth trains independently from the DCC trains (on the same layout) and not operating the Bluetooth trains under control of the DCC system, either on DCC throttles or under software control.

As for DCC familiarity for established users. To be honest, if you are someone who has gone beyond the very basic CV variables of DCC, then the operating interface of the Bluerail App is a breeze, no constant referencing of cv tables required.The only DCC compatibility issue I see as commercialy worthwhile, is getting a Bluerail Board to pass instruction on to DCC Sound chips (although personally I find the whole DCC sound thing sheer novelty).

You first have to tempt the DCC user to try using Bluetooth control, before they can experience the simpler, more user friendly programming interface.
It takes a leap of faith, to buy one board and risk ending up with a redundant piece of kit, if you don't get on with it?
Conversely, a DCC compatible Bluetooth board could still be used on DCC, if you decide not to continue with Bluetooth control, or if this control method doesn't take off, or is superceded.

Sound or no sound is very much a personal matter.
It's pretty obvious that it's becoming more and more popular, if the growing commercial activity around DCC sound and the number of sound fitted locos at exhibitions, are any indication.

The only thing holding back wider adoption at the moment, is the current high cost.
BlueRail Trains must be aware that they need to address this growing market, as they've included on-board sound in this new 2nd generation system.

If you have a BlueRail fitted eco it runs on either a permanently powered or DCC powered layout without issue. If you want the wireless benefit of Bluetooth for your DCC fitted loco's. Then sell your DCC chips and controllers and buy BlueRail.

Again, that requires a huge leap of faith for the committed DCC user to simply abandon all of their DCC kit.

Not everybody...probably most people...would make such a drastic step, all in one go.

I'm sure that DCC compatibility and interoperability will be seen as a lower risk route to adopting Bluetooth, for many DCC users.

We will now have to wait, to see what's going to happen with the new 2nd Generation system and find out who they are working with.

I hope that BlueRail Trains can get a more suitable, higher profile commercial tie up with a well known RTR manufacturer, rather than the Jingle Bells, kiddies toy, tacky novelty approach that Bachmann have adopted for promotion of the technology.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Am I correct in reading that this BlueRail addition only allows for control of the locomotive using Bluetooth and you would still require additional controls (DCC or analogue) to control all other activities on the models?

If this is the case then it is unlikely to progress very far given that all you are doing is swapping part of the control system for another, yet retaining the old part if you are using DCC, and if you are still using analogue then there is nothing significant to tempt you away from the analogue that hasn't been available in DCC for 20+ years.

I may be missing something vital here, but I don't see what it offers at all.

Am I correct in reading that this BlueRail addition only allows for control of the locomotive using Bluetooth and you would still require additional controls (DCC or analogue) to control all other activities on the models?

If this is the case then it is unlikely to progress very far given that all you are doing is swapping part of the control system for another, yet retaining the old part if you are using DCC.....

Hi

I don't know where you've got idea or information from?

As far as I know, looking across a broad spectrum of potential information sources, I cannot see any details have been released about what form "DCC compatibility" will take.

That's without assuming BlueRail Trains have yet defined what "DCC compatibility' involves, for themselves.

However, I think it highly unlikely it would amount to that sort of half-a**ed arrangement, as there would be no purpose to it.

....,.and if you are still using analogue then there is nothing significant to tempt you away from the analogue that hasn't been available in DCC for 20+ years.

I may be missing something vital here, but I don't see what it offers at all.

Yes, I think you are missing something vital.

A DCC system is a physical piece of kit, whether it's a budget set-up, or a top of the range system costing 500, 600 or even more than 1000 £££'s.

The BlueRail Trains Bluetooth system requires no other control system than a free software app.

Pick up your phone or tablet and simply download the free app and you instantly have a wireless digital control system.

Bluetooth is just the communication medium. The control system is purely free software.

All you need to add is a power supply for the track, which could be your existing DC controller (set at full power), or an existing DCC track power supply.

Alternatively, for those who want it, a battery powered dead rail option may be used instead.

Loco Decoders will still be needed of course (BlueRail Trains calls them "boards")

Unfortunately, the early iteration of the BlueRail Trains board was rather pricey, so hopefully costs will come down over time and with volume production.

Also, there will need to be far greater development and maturity of the system, to achieve the broader level of features and functionality of a decent DCC set-up.

As you say, DCC has had some 20+ years of development behind it, but there is much potential in what is on offer here.

I think your explanaton has amplied my point very well.

This is not a free system, it requires the purchase of additional boards to make the locos run, presently it is only locos that can run and only whilst in Bluetooth range (which is very short) and It requires the use (purchase?) of a touchscreen device with an appropraite bluetooth stack  There will also be issues using this for track wiring as we will be back in the analogue days which with a complex layout were horrendous and that nightmare was removed with DCC. There is no control for points or accessories, there is no option to run the track or locos automatically.

In short, it will 'work' on a small simple layout which doesnt have any controls or complex track circuits.

I still don't see the problem it is trying to solve nor what it can offer that isn't already provided in much a more accessible form (digital or analogue) from many suppliers.

This is not a free system, it requires the purchase of additional boards to make the locos run....

The boards are just like decoders.

They will either be pre-fitted to locos, or will need to be installed by the user.

As with DCC, in both cases there will be a cost involved.

The control system is a no cost item.

...presently it is only locos that can run

Indeed, you are correct. As I said in my previous post, the system will have to be developed to include additional features and functionality, which would include such things as accessory decoders etc.

....and only whilst in Bluetooth range (which is very short)

They are using a more recent version of Bluetooth. BT 4.0 LE.

I believe the theoretical range is >330ft (>100 Metres).

BlueRail Trains have tested the system to be perfectly useable up to 100 - 150ft (unimpeded by walls etc).

I would have thought this will be more than sufficient for most layouts?

...and It requires the use (purchase?) of a touchscreen device with an appropraite bluetooth stack

That's a straw man argument.

No you don't need to purchase such a device, as potential users will already have one...i.e. the majority of the population.

Increasing numbers of households have multiples of such devices lying around.

If you don't have such a device, you will have to look elsewhere, or get hold of one.

Unless using an ancient device, all of them can handle the Bluetooth traffic.

There will also be issues using this for track wiring as we will be back in the analogue days which with a complex layout were horrendous and that nightmare was removed with DCC.

Sorry, that's absolute rubbish.

Just like DCC, it requires a fully live layout, except it can be either DC or DCC powered.

There's also the option to use Dead Rail.

There is no control for points or accessories, there is no option to run the track or locos automatically.

Agreed. See above.

Accessory control is one of the additional features that need to be added.

Automation is one of the potential developments. It needs somebody to develop and write the apps and an appropriate mechanism for detection, reporting and feedback.

In short, it will 'work' on a small simple layout which doesnt have any controls or complex track circuits.

At the present time, for just driving trains, it will work on any layout, large small, simple or complex.

There are many DCC users who still retain analogue control of their layouts (points, routes, signals etc,) and just use DCC for driving trains.

Also, recently we have seen the emergence of several commercially available, stand alone digital layout control systems, that operate alongside, or separately from the control of trains. 

Even DC analogue layouts can have separate DCC control of points, routes and signals, to simplify and reduce the amount and complexity of analogue wiring.

I still don't see the problem it is trying to solve nor what it can offer that isn't already provided in much a more accessible form (digital or analogue) from many suppliers.

At the moment, it is mostly just potential, despite a first generation having been deployed commercially.

At the very least, it demonstrates that boxes of physical electronics (i.e. a DCC system) can be rendered redundant and replaced with a software solution.

In terms of cost, the entry point to digital control and the numerous advantages that brings, is much reduced.

No DCC system to purchase.

The interface hardware (controllers in old speak) is plentiful, readily available and for most people a no extra cost item.

As an enthusiastic user and advocate of DCC, I can accept that although there's plenty of mileage left in DCC, the technology is very dated and has its limitations.

Many of the commercially available DCC systems are quite old, with terribly antiquated and cumbersome user interfaces, particularly for programming and adjusting decoder settings.

At least a few manufacturers are using newer technology to improve matters, but that usually comes at a high price..

Any worthwhile advance over DCC will have to involve modern day, high speed, two way data comms.

This Bluetooth based system is just one example of how that can be done.

Ring RailPro is another, but requires the purchase of control hardware.

The rest is down to software and UI design.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

That sums the situation up pretty well Ron Ron Ron

I have two Bluerail boards purchased for evaluation purposes and they work very well with some limitations due to physical size, software compatibility with Android smart devices, a touch screen interface I can't get on with and  the lack of battery monitoring, something which Bluerail say is already on the board but not activated yet.. The visual 'programming' is a joy to use

My two boards are not in use at the moment as apart from sound which I don't need or want my simpler radio control battery powered system does the job I want. Oh the joy of no wiring at all.

The next Bluerail boards will hopefully remove these problems.

The advantage of these systems is you can try them in just one loco without compromising your existing layout use, except perhaps with DC because you need a constant voltage on the rails, something which is overcome by fitting a battery to the board as well. The board will then auto switch between onboard and rail power. Locos stalling is gone, ended, no more. No decoder resets either.

Still cant see the problem it is solving as there are free apps that give you wireless throttles that do much more than simply change the speed and direction of a loco.

DCC might not be brilliant, but it works, it is available, it is widely adopted and it is affordable.

• RMweb Gold

What it offers is simple a system that just requires a decoder without the £2-300 base station so it's a cheaper option than full dcc and no doubt onboard sound will be possible. It uses a technology the younger generation know well and is easy for anyone with a touchscreen phone or tablet to learn fast without all the options of dcc system. Some people prefer simple. A friend of mine likes the idea to give his analogue layout wireless controllers by just putting the chip in the control panel as an option to his wired controller. Getting a smartphone opened up the option for him.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

The published prices suggest that the economics of this solution fall apart when used for more that 3 or 4 locos, and then there is the physical size of the boards - you ain’t going to fit them into small locos or gauges below HO, and even at that I suggest that a roars wouldn’t fit most locos without a tender ;)

The published prices suggest that the economics of this solution fall apart when used for more that 3 or 4 locos, and then there is the physical size of the boards - you ain’t going to fit them into small locos or gauges below HO, and even at that I suggest that a roars wouldn’t fit most locos without a tender ;)

The pricing of the original BlueRail boards covered the cost of producing them, about £80 each I think (current retail price about £66). Volume production will bring that price down considerably but how many years it will take to get to the £20 of a DCC decoder I don't know.

The cost of buying one unit to try it out is lower than DCC where you will need to buy the basic system for say £150 plus a decoder

BlueRails next boards will be a lot smaller, maybe equivalent to my Deltangs which are about the same size as a DCC decoder.

These radio control systems show where the future lies, decoders that will happily run on DCC leccie DC or battery and seamlessly change between them. At the same time having the ability to eliminate the common problem with existing systems, the dreaded rail/wheel interface and all those pickup problems. Removing the control signals to radio direct from the controller to loco opens up other possibilities apart from increasing reliability.

Still cant see the problem it is solving as there are free apps that give you wireless throttles that do much more than simply change the speed and direction of a loco.

DCC might not be brilliant, but it works, it is available, it is widely adopted and it is affordable.

The problem BlueRail and it's Bluetooth control system is solving is Bi-Directionality.

At present DCC offers very limited (and by that next to none) Bi-directional communication with a model locomotive. The Bluetooth signal and it's incumbent protocol is most definitely two way. This allows potential App developers to develop control App's that not only have the capability to control motion and on board accessories, but also receive diagnostic information from the loco itself. This has the potential to be data about current draw or torque changes in the motor. Bluetooth control boards have the potential to be fitted with onboard RFID detectors capable of transmitting back information about RFID tags that are placed upon the layout. That positional information could be used by control software to modify/overide control functions of the loco. For instance a model loco traveling into a tunnel could detect an RFID tag placed some point before the tunnel and instruct the software to mute or even potentially modify the Loco sound. Yes DCC can employ block detection, but that implementation requires a certain degree of technical savvy. A simple RFID tag is about the size of a postage stamp (and not a whole lot thicker in some cases) and requires no power feed. All a layout modeller would need to do is tell his preferred control App what the RFID tag's id number is and it's position on the layout.

As Ron has pointed out earlier, what is needed is for a greater range of App developers to get on board (pardon the pun). What will drive this is when App development for Bluetooth control reaches a suitable level of economic reward. And there in itself is an advantage. App development doesn't require the developer to invest in expensive hardware control options. A developer would need not much more than a laptop, simulation software and an appropriate smart phone/device. No investment in prototyping and expensive pre-production runs.

And as for the notion that you can't control points via BlueRails board. Well you can. Just install the board in a suitable project box and feed it track power. then use the accessories outputs to drive relays switching power to your points or signals. Simples. Maybe not elegant but when DCC arrived it didn't do much more than move a model loco forwards and backwards.

• Like 1

As you say, lots of potential but whether any of that potential is needed or wanted is a different matter. It does look to me as this is defining a problem to justify its need.

I think it will be interesting to look at this thread in 5 years time and see what potential has made it to market.

Edited by WIMorrison

As you say, lots of potential but whether any of that potential is needed or wanted is a different matter. It does look to me as this is defining a problem to justify its need.

I think it will be interesting to look at this thread in 5 years time and see what potential has made it to market.

I think within the hobby there is a lot of "want". Look through the DCC forums and you will find a myriad of questions from various modellers of varying skill levels all enquiring "How to" As mentioned, there are lots of different software applications (JMRI for example) that have been developed to work with DCC layouts and add further functionality such as block detection and signalling. However all of these software applications require, in addition to a DCC command station. A host computer, software and a variety of bespoke interfaces. Importantly they also require the layout owner to have pretty good IT and wiring skills, or at least have access to a good network of fellow enthusiasts who posses those skills and are willing to help out. I'm sure for those of us who have visited any of the larger exhibitions will possibly have eavesdropped a conversation or two between a layout admirer and operator, where before long it is obvious that the layout admirer realises that the tech involved exceeds his own abilities.

I'd argue there are a lot of modellers out there who would feel a whole lot more confident with getting into things such as automated signalling and point control. if such things could be achieved by the use of wirelessly controlled devices incorporated within a layout, that required no other additional control hardware than a smart phone or tablet.

As an example. may I draw on a piece of smart tech from my own industry. I work within the film and TV industry. Ten years ago remote control of devices such as vision mixers required manufacturers to offer highly expensive add on hardware options and even then the level of "remote" operation was limited. Now we have audio mixing consoles that can have pretty much any of their control parameters operated by an iPad and all that is required is the addition of an inexpensive wireless router and the download of a free App from the manufacturer. In fact a whole range of equipment from varying manufacturers can be easily networked and operated via a single smart device for very little cost simultaneously. Bluetooth offers a communications platform that manufacturers and App developers can exploit to offer modellers a potential range of control over their layouts at a much lower cost and requiring significantly less specific knowledge to achieve than DCC. Instead of complex automated layouts being the domain of a fairly limited number of users, bluetooth control offers the potential for the future where any modeller capable of navigating a smart device will be able to build efficiently their own highly automated layout at modest cost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What would be the possibility of a GPS system built into the board so that the system would know where each locomotive is? For precision it would probably have to be a "local GPS" with three or four "satellites" mounted in the model railway room near the ceiling.

What would be the possibility of a GPS system built into the board so that the system would know where each locomotive is? For precision it would probably have to be a "local GPS" with three or four "satellites" mounted in the model railway room near the ceiling.

A potential system would use easily available RFID technology. To give you an idea of the tech. If you watch some of the current "Amazon" Christmas TV ad's you'll see various shots of parcels moving around on conveyor belts in some anonymous Amazon warehouse. In reality each of these boxes has an RFID tag stuck to it (usually as part of or under a label so they are very thin). Each RFID tag has it's own unique number (a bit like every computing device, laptop, smartphone, tablet etc has a unique MAC address) and when the tag is put into use, a operational number is attached to that RFID's unique number so that Amazon's software knows whats in the box, who it was sent from and who it is being sent too. Now above the conveyor belts are strategically placed RFID tag readers. Now here is the clever bit. The tags themselves don't require any batteries or stored power. They are brought to life (if you want to call it that) by the radio waves emanating from the RFID readers (very simplistic explanation but it'll do). So when each tag is scanned by the RFID readers above the conveyor belts, Amazons warehouse system can track the location of any parcel and at those cleverly thought out strategic points, divert it on to different conveyor belts so that it eventually reaches the right lorry or container for transporting to the next stage of it's journey.

So how do you apply this to our hypothetical Bluetooth controlled railway layout? Each Bluetooth board as well as having all the various control bits and bob (and maybe sound if thats what floats your boat) also has on board, its own RFID tag reader. Placed around your layout, most likely between the baseboard and track ballast would be a required number of RFID tags. As a loco travels around the layout and cross over one of these RFID tags, the tags unique number is transmitted via bluetooth back to the controlling smart device and the operating software would then know where exactly on the layout your loco is. In fairness there are some pretty developed DCC layouts using the same tech. But because DCC is not truly bi-directional, what they have to do is fit the RFID readers to the layout and the RFID Tag's to the model locomotive. On a large'ish layout this would be pretty expensive as the tag's are the cheap bit and the readers comparatively are the expensive item. Plus of course you then have to power and wire back all those RFID readers back to electronic interfaces that then connect to your host computer running whatever layout software it is you choose. Our Hypothetical Bluetooth set up does away with a lot of tedious wiring and interfaces because the RFID reader is on the same Bluetooth board that is controlling the direction, lights and sounds on your loco......... Just plug in and your ready.

Is this tech viable? You betcha. RFID tags similar to what Amazon and a whole lot of other retailers use cost pence (otherwise they wouldn't be economically viable). If you have one of the new contactless payment cards, the RFID tech is built into that. And if you have one of the newer smartphones from the likes of Apple or Amazon then it's built into those also.

As mentioned previously. What it needs is for App developers and manufacturers to realise the economic argument for getting involved. Personally I feel that it will be App development that pushes the technology forward rather than the technology encouraging the App's. App development requires a whole lot less financial investment than that required for hardware development. I am pretty sure that somewhere among the membership of RMWeb will be software guys and girls who are savvy enough to create these App's and to use their knowledge of the hobby to create some great ones too. Bluetooth isn't just limited to smart devices either. Many laptops have bluetooth capacity so there is a whole bunch of scope there too.

It's going to take time, but it will be a space worth watching.

• Like 1

such as automated signalling and point control. if such things could be achieved by the use of wirelessly controlled devices incorporated within a layout, that required no other additional control hardware than a smart phone or tablet.

I can never understand why a smartphone of tablet would be more acceptable than a PC. Cheap laptops have far more useful functionality and flexibility and are easier to program.

And once you start operating ground-based equipment (i.e. stationary and location specific) you need a system that can integrate a lot of information - which will always be complex. Any fool can make a signal go up and down when it is not appropriate.

...R

I can never understand why a smartphone of tablet would be more acceptable than a PC. Cheap laptops have far more useful functionality and flexibility and are easier to program.

And once you start operating ground-based equipment (i.e. stationary and location specific) you need a system that can integrate a lot of information - which will always be complex. Any fool can make a signal go up and down when it is not appropriate.

...R

I think the trick will be a combination of both. Bluetooth capable laptops running in tandem with hand held smart devices all under a unifying control software. As for your question of a smart devices suitability over a laptop, well here is a thought or two. As mentioned in a previous posting I work in film and TV. I get to use some pieces of kit that in operability terms make your average model railway layout look as complex as a bell on a bicycle! Being honest a well thought out and programmed App makes the operation of these bits of kit wirelessly via an iPad pretty seamless, with no lack on the App's part to convey critical information or allow direct control (and believe me when you're responsible for the live sound of a broadcast going out to three or four million you don't trust to a piece of kit on a whim!!!!!). In fact I have friends who are pilots who rely on the mapping information presented to them and my better half works with surgeons who use smart devices to access medical imaging. So the ability of smart devices to work in critical environments is well proven. Another consideration is that hand portable smart devices have shall we say, better portability than most laptops. Even the rather spelt MacBook Air has a degree of weight to it and if honest (I own one) you kind of want to find a nice secure place to put it when you are working on it. On our hypothetical Bluetooth controlled layout, there is a certain advantage to having your control device of choice close to hand while you're installing/setting up/testing in all this far reaches and corners of your layout.

As mentioned at the start of this post. I feel that the real solution will be a combination of both laptop and hand held device control interfaces. Signalling, points and other hardware control handled by the laptop and locomotive throttle control being the remit of your handheld smart device. Thats not to say that there can't be a crossover of device control between laptop and handheld and there is certainly no suggestion that the processing power to be found in recent smart devices is less than capable of the task. But like any good solution it's about making the most of each devices advantages. The larger display of the laptop and the portability of the smart phone.